Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone visit a volcano, or live near a volcano?
RE: Anyone visit a volcano, or live near a volcano?
Most the earth’s continental land mass had been part of some volcano at some point in the geological past.   If you take all of the earth’s lamd mass together, the average age to the most recent volcanic activity at any particular spot on lamd is roughly 1.5-1.7 billion years.     Almost all of the earth’s ocean floor had been part of some volcano at, on average, some much more recent point in the geological past.   The average age to the most recent volcanic activity at any particular spot on the ocean floor is only 100 million years.

So technically it is exceedingly difficult to live anywhere on the earth without living near what had at some time in the past been a volcano, for any arbitrary definition of “near”.

But if you mean do you live near an active or dormant volcano, as opposed to remains of long extinct volcanos, then the probability of thar is relatively low, unless you live near or on the pacific ring of fire, which includes Indonesia, New Zealand, Japan, and the entire west coasts of north and South America, or near the great Rift Valley of Africa, and central or eastern Mediterranean,    Or if you live near a few isolated geological volcanic hot spots, such as Yellowstone, Hawaii, reunion, Tenerife, etc.

I live in CA, so I live active volcanos, if you take 200 miles to be near.     

There is mt lassen, last erupted in 1917, and whose crater is easily accessible after a moderately strenuous hike.   I’ve been there a few times. My Lassen is by far the largest lava dome type volcano in the world, so going there is interesting.   But it still a puny thing compared to mt. Fuji.      

There is mt Shasta, last erupted in 1786, which is of the same type as Mt Fuji, but slightly more bulky and 2000 feet taller.   Reaching Shasta’s summit crater requires some rudimentary mountaineering skills.  I’ve been meaning to do it, but haven’t yet.   

Both Lassen and Shasta are considered active volcanos.  If Mt Lassen erupts it will likely cause only local devastation.     If mt Shasta erupts in a big way it would likely devastate northern 1/3 of California and parts of Oregon.     Both mt Lassen and mt Shasta are within 200 miles north of where I live.

Then there is Long valley volcanic system.   It is about 200 miles south east of where I live.   The long valley system had been erupting intermittently for 2 million years, it last erupted during the 1800s.   but it staged a truly terrifyingly massive eruption about 700,000 years ago.     The eruption was so voluminous that ash fall from it made a thick layer in Nebraska, and the power of eruption was so great it send a pyroclastic flow westward with such violence that the flow climbed 6000 feet up the steep eastern escarpment Sierra Nevada mountains,  overtopped the 12000 foot ridge of the mountain chain, and pour down the western slopes into the foot hills next to Central Valley.

During that single great eruption the long valley caldera ejected more than twice as much magma as the entire bulk of Mt Fuji, in likely less than just a few days.

It is difficult to appreciate how colossal the power of thar eruption was from ground level.    The hole through which eruption poured forth is 20 miles across.      Standing on one side of it the other side looks a distant chain of mountains.   The highway that eventually cuts across the eruptive caldera first makes a long climb up what feel like the steep side of a 2000 foot high plateau about 40 miles from the eruption center.    That steep side is the leading edge of the solidified pyroclastic flow sent out by the eruption. 

Think about it.

Messages In This Thread
Anyone visit a volcano, or live near a volcano? - by Brian37 - October 17, 2021 at 11:44 am
RE: Anyone visit a volcano, or live near a volcano? - by Anomalocaris - October 17, 2021 at 9:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  24 hours to live onlinebiker 115 5941 January 1, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are you happy where you live? Macoleco 39 2899 August 22, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1632 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  If you could live in a fairy tale Foxaèr 35 5987 November 11, 2018 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Would you want to live here? Foxaèr 22 4058 April 28, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: c172
  Anyone live near Washington DC? Whateverist 25 1849 April 1, 2018 at 2:59 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Forced To Live With An Obnoxious Person Mechaghostman2 21 3472 January 16, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How to know if you live in a Patriarchy or Matriarchy ErGingerbreadMandude 11 1897 December 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  So my redneck friend came to visit on Friday. Brian37 9 2343 June 5, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  How are the Cops like where you live? ErGingerbreadMandude 68 7765 February 16, 2017 at 11:28 am
Last Post: frankiej