Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imagine a spiritual age, where the world never ends
RE: Imagine a spiritual age, where the world never ends
I can use my imagination. I've created an elaborate scheme of gods, alternate planes and afterlife for my epic fantasy D&D campaign that's far more plausible and sensible than anything Islamo-Christianity has made.

I wanted to create something simple, yet carefully thought out. My problem with the D&D cosmology was there were too many deities and too many planes. It all seemed needlessly complex. Still, there needed to be enough gods to cover all the bases in what is a complex fantasy environment. I managed to boil it all down to 8 deities and 5 planes.

The back story is that the universe came to be from the joining of two of the oldest deities in existence. I glossed over where these two came from or who or what created them. I just wrote in the creation story that "neither one could remember anything from the time before they met, as if their lives hadn't truly begun until they completed each other. Their names came to be known as "Baateza" and "Tanaros" (D&D players will know where I'm going with this just by their not so original names. Hey, I'm bad with names. My wife has said it's the weakest part of my story telling ability).

The two at first were a happy family with five children deities. Then life began to develop intelligence and the trouble started. They began fighting over how to encourage the mortals to achieve their best potential and both thought they alone had the authority to make that decision. Baateza (who's nature is modeled after the Biblical god) felt that her wisdom would guide the mortals. Discipline, order and obedience would be the key to their future. Tanaros thought laws would only interfere with the natural process of evolution. Chaos and conflict would ensure the strongest would survive. This is the reason for the "Blood War" between the demons and devils. It was the worst divorce in history.

Two of the other gods, Gaia and Sol, were horrified by how the creators had fallen into darkness. They led a rebellion among the servitors to save the mortals. Devils who joined Sol became angels while demons that joined Gaia became nature spirits. I flipped the usual good vs. evil story in that the creators were evil and the rebels were good.

Roughly the cosmology was the stage for a three-cornered war, good vs. lawful evil vs. chaotic evil. As D&D players might expect, Sol is the god for paladins, good clerics and good monks while Gaia is the goddess for good druids and good rangers.

The afterlife was designed to be self-sustaining. Souls of the recently deceased are taken by the god "Death" and drawn along the River Acheron to his plane called "Oblivion". Souls emerge from Oblivion and are carried by Death along the River Lethe into the Mortal Plane, released into the wombs of expectant mothers ("the first kick" is the sign this happened). No one knows what happens in Oblivion. Any character slain can't be raised once the soul enters Oblivion.

See, I can write a better religion than any of these "prophets" could and I dare say mine makes more sense.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Messages In This Thread
RE: Imagine a spiritual age, where the world never ends - by DeistPaladin - June 12, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 4202 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The age of the Earth LinuxGal 12 2446 March 21, 2023 at 5:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 1808 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Imagine this... Jehanne 73 6800 May 13, 2021 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How do Christians imagine 2nd coming of Jesus? Fake Messiah 39 3570 September 15, 2020 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 3928 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2429 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  WTF is Spiritual Warfare? vulcanlogician 53 7282 December 16, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Was Jesus and Iron Age Cult Leader? trustedsource 11 5358 July 14, 2017 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Christians never murdered anybody mcolafson 22 3422 December 15, 2016 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: vorlon13