Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 7:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post 10 Random Facts About Yourself
RE: Post 10 Random Facts About Yourself
(September 17, 2015 at 6:51 am)MTL Wrote:
(September 17, 2015 at 3:54 am)ignoramus Wrote: Yes, Absolutely! A very moving film!
Do you ever get moved by a "based on a true story" movie that you go on the net to look up and read about the actual person/story!
I've done that a few times now ... eg: A beautiful mind, Hachi, etc

Oh, of course.

There is a bronze statue of Hachi at that very train station, IRL.
A friend of mine from France traveled to Japan and touched that statue, himself.

You mentioned A Beautiful Mind.

Were you aware that John Nash, and his wife,
were recently both killed in a car crash in New Jersey?

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/20...e_say.html

Interesting stray fact: a friend of ours was a doctoral student in mathematics at the same time as John Nash at Princeton.  His wife complains that all through the movie our friend kept grousing that it was nothing like that.  

They used to be our favorite people to stay with in Manhattan.  But now they've moved to our town.  While not as renown as John Nash, our boy Martin is pretty famous for his work in computer logic and still gives talks all over the world.  (He is our buddy because his wife, like mine, is a textile artist.)
Randall sums up the LOTR movies.

Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I am a green belt in Kick boxing.
I work alongside the military specifically the Navy and Marines.
I enjoy the odd airsoft event.
I will be off to my second Comic con later this year.
I live in the south of England, so far south the water from Portsmouth harbour laps at end of my road.
I used to work in a building which, in the 17th Century, was the biggest brick building in Europe, Haslar Hospital.
I have met Prince Charles wife Camilla and had a little chat.
I have been married for twenty years this October.
I have three boys who mostly tower over me like giants.
I like pina collada and taking walks in the rain.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 16, 2015 at 7:29 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: I don't buy homosexuality being genetic personally, because I think if it was then there would be similar geographical "hotspots" where loads of people would be. It would be like the blue eye gene, more common than brown among Nothern Europeans but virtually non-existent among some groups.

It's inborn and not changeable certainly, but I don't think it's genetic.

The problem with this hypothesis is that eye-color is regulated by a single gene, whereas behaviors with genetic components can have many genes each inputting into the behavior. The different genes may each have different proportions in different populations, but still result in gayness.

If it's inborn, genes are regulating it.

(September 17, 2015 at 1:18 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(September 16, 2015 at 7:29 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: I don't buy homosexuality being genetic personally, because I think if it was then there would be similar geographical "hotspots" where loads of people would be. It would be like the blue eye gene, more common than brown among Nothern Europeans but virtually non-existent among some groups.

It's inborn and not changeable certainly, but I don't think it's genetic.

The problem with this hypothesis is that eye-color is regulated by a single gene, whereas behaviors with genetic components can have many genes each inputting into the behavior. The different genes may each have different proportions in different populations, but still result in gayness.

If it's inborn, genes are regulating it.

I think the gay gene is nonsense. First and foremost the studies focus heavily on male homosexuality. Secondly most studies just ignore bisexuality and pansexuality. I don't think the people conducting these studies actually have any concept of how same sex attraction truly works. And why are they working so hard to find a gay gene anyway? Are don't think they're working quite as hard to find out how straight people tick.
(September 16, 2015 at 8:11 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(September 16, 2015 at 7:29 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: It's inborn and not changeable certainly, but I don't think it's genetic.

By what mechanism do you suggest something is congenital but not genetic?

Idk, I thought it was to do with the mother's hormones or something during pregnancy

Still Parker's Tan's explanation makes more sense when I see it explained like that tbh
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

You guys have it all wrong. If an atheist bites a baby but doesn't eat it, it will grow up to be one of teh gayz. It's all part of muslim agenda
(September 17, 2015 at 1:44 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: You guys have it all wrong. If an atheist bites a baby but doesn't eat it, it will grow up to be one of teh gayz. It's all part of muslim agenda

No, no, no.  That's how we atheists reproduce.  We turn theists by drinking their blood then giving them some of ours.
Bbbbbut.....Obama's muslim agenda :c
Not saying you're wrong, just wondering where you got that idea. I'm not sure the maternal hormone thing has been shown in tests, has it?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Thoughts Foxaèr 11178 317071 Yesterday at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Interesting FACTS Cod 37 2957 October 29, 2019 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Cod
  Ten Facts... The Valkyrie 234 17535 December 4, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 2047 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8658 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Women: how do you define yourself? Foxaèr 11 1501 April 22, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If You Did Haz A Clone Of Yourself Identical Mentally *AND* Physically? Edwardo Piet 53 9264 April 5, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Men: How do You Define Yourself? Rhondazvous 33 2673 April 3, 2018 at 5:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Random Quirks mlmooney89 13 2306 November 20, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hall of random shit Cyberman 55 10206 November 11, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Joods