Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 3:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transexuals
RE: Transexuals
(April 13, 2016 at 4:12 pm)ItsNotEmmi Wrote: Just like many people are saying on this forum, they are fully functional in society, just like may people with mental or physical disabilities are.
You have a real discrimination problem, man. What's the problem with people just being who they want to be. They're not hurting anyone except themselves; when dicks like you come into their lives and say they can't be who they want to be.

Disability isn't anything like being trans. I'm not sure how you even begin to make the comparison. Not that there aren't some trans people with disabilities. But I wish people would stop comparing other struggles to disability.
(April 13, 2016 at 6:44 pm)abaris Wrote:
(April 13, 2016 at 6:39 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I must admit I have not read very many posts on thread that are not directed at me. What exactly did he say that is sooo horrendous? Is it simply saying that he believes transgenderism is a psychological disorder?

Which in itself is questionable, since these people aren't mentally ill. It's an insult to them and it goes against what serious experts in the fields have found out during the last few decades. Rocket quoted some of it.

Drippy only quoted conversion therapy con artists, which, even by US standards, is now a questionable practice. Even, because the US tolerated it for the longest time in the Western world.

Fair enough. How about people who identify as a different species or as a different race than what they physically/biologically are? If those are indeed psychological disorders, in what ways would you say they are different from identifying as a different sex?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 13, 2016 at 6:52 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(April 13, 2016 at 6:44 pm)abaris Wrote: Which in itself is questionable, since these people aren't mentally ill. It's an insult to them and it goes against what serious experts in the fields have found out during the last few decades. Rocket quoted some of it.

Drippy only quoted conversion therapy con artists, which, even by US standards, is now a questionable practice. Even, because the US tolerated it for the longest time in the Western world.

Fair enough. How about people who identify as a different species or as a different race than what they physically/biologically are? If those are indeed psychological disorders, in what ways would you say they are different from identifying as a different sex?

Now you are trying to equate delusion and mental illness to transgender? Then you get surprised that people react to you the way they do?

Oh and FYI race is an artificial construct, and "cultural appropriation" is also a bullshit term. Humans have mixed forever. There is no such thing as a pure race. Trace humans back far enough we are all related go back further in DNA history we are related to primates.
(April 13, 2016 at 6:52 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Fair enough. How about people who identify as a different species or as a different race than what they physically/biologically are? If those are indeed psychological disorders, in what ways would you say they are different from identifying as a different sex?

Sorry if I come over as being blunt, but there's no polite way to say it: Do your homework before making such ridiculous claims.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 13, 2016 at 6:59 pm)abaris Wrote:
(April 13, 2016 at 6:52 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Fair enough. How about people who identify as a different species or as a different race than what they physically/biologically are? If those are indeed psychological disorders, in what ways would you say they are different from identifying as a different sex?

Sorry if I come over as being blunt, but there's no polite way to say it: Do your homework before making such ridiculous claims.

It's a question not a claim. I'm asking what your views on this are.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I don't know much about the issue, but I'll further clarify my thoughts. I think feeling like you are a different gender when you clearly aren't to begin with is definitely a mental disorder. Knowing that you are one gender, and wishing you would have been or wanting to become another one, however, isn't necessarily so. Which of these two categories fit most people who identify as transgender I don't know, but it makes no matter, for even those that fall in the former category only concern me so far as their own well-being(as do the latter, of course).
(April 13, 2016 at 7:00 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: It's a question not a claim. I'm asking what your views on this are.

It's got nothing to do with the question at hand. So, no, I'm not going there to indulge you. Either you don't know the difference, or you're being as obtruse as Drippy here. If it's the former, I can only repeat to do your homework, if it's the latter, it doesn't warrant any discussion.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 13, 2016 at 7:03 pm)abaris Wrote:
(April 13, 2016 at 7:00 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: It's a question not a claim. I'm asking what your views on this are.

It's got nothing to do with the question at hand. So, no, I'm not going there to indulge you. Either you don't know the difference, or you're being as obtruse as Drippy here. If it's the former, I can only repeat to do your homework, if it's the latter, it doesn't warrant any discussion.

Just open to changing my mind on the issue and trying to have an honest discussion about it, but alright nevermind.

-walsh
(April 13, 2016 at 6:58 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Now you are trying to equate delusion and mental illness to transgender? Then you get surprised that people react to you the way they do?

Oh and FYI race is an artificial construct, and "cultural appropriation" is also a bullshit term. Humans have mixed forever. There is no such thing as a pure race. Trace humans back far enough we are all related go back further in DNA history we are related to primates.

That's unfair. You know what CL meant. Because if tried to identify as white, I'd be laughed off the face of the planet. And no cultural appropriation isn't bull, that's called dominant cultures bulldozing minority cultural heritage and picking out the shiny bits they want because "ooh sparkles". And having no understanding or respect for the original meaning.
(April 13, 2016 at 7:13 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(April 13, 2016 at 6:58 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Now you are trying to equate delusion and mental illness to transgender? Then you get surprised that people react to you the way they do?

That's unfair. You know what CL meant. Because if tried to identify as white, I'd be laughed off the face of the planet. And no cultural appropriation isn't bull, that's called dominant cultures bulldozing minority cultural heritage and picking out the shiny bits they want because "ooh sparkles". And having no understanding or respect for the original meaning.

It is bull. You can't encourage the mixing of cultures and then turn around and say certain groups can't do something.