Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 12:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucifer
RE: Lucifer
(July 21, 2016 at 9:36 am)LostLocke Wrote:
(July 21, 2016 at 9:31 am)ChadWooters Wrote: If God exists would you want Him to silence you?

So, we should be concerned about Satan's feelings?

Hey, it's not much of a narrative if the main character acts in a way commensurate with his claimed abilities. No good for TV. The mustache-twirling bad guy has to be carried into the later rounds for maximum dramatic effect, even if the decision is a foregone conclusion.
(July 21, 2016 at 9:48 am)Crossless1 Wrote:
(July 21, 2016 at 9:36 am)LostLocke Wrote: So, we should be concerned about Satan's feelings?

Hey, it's not much of a narrative if the main character acts in a way commensurate with his claimed abilities. No good for TV. The mustache-twirling bad guy has to be carried into the later rounds for maximum dramatic effect, even if the decision is a foregone conclusion.
Hmmm, good point.
If they had killed the smoke monster at the first opportunity, Lost would have been about 12 episodes long....
(July 21, 2016 at 9:27 am)ChadWooters Wrote: My general impression is that in the face over overwhelming and nasty criticism GC has been more gracious than most members, including myself.

Yeah, telling people they deserve eternal punishment for not believing the same as you do is so much more gracious than just telling someone to fuck off.  Jerkoff
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 21, 2016 at 4:48 am)Godschild Wrote:
(July 16, 2016 at 5:43 am)madog Wrote: I thought this was about a church not the bible? So are you now saying the problems the congregation faced was from an omnipotent Book?

This is a new religion to me .... A book in the sky .....

God , the Bible and the church are all interconnected. It really seems you are quite ignorant of Christianity, so much so you shouldn't even have an opinion on ant of it. 

GC

Judging on what I have heard from you so far your make up your faith as you go along ......
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
All I've been convinced of is that a lot of people follow Christianity because they are scared of the consequences if they don't. Once you scrape away all the BS, that's what is left.

The fear is not transferable to someone who doesn't live in the same fantasy realm, so it's entirely useless as a tool.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 21, 2016 at 10:27 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(July 21, 2016 at 9:27 am)ChadWooters Wrote: My general impression is that in the face over overwhelming and nasty criticism GC has been more gracious than most members, including myself.

Yeah, telling people they deserve eternal punishment for not believing the same as you do is so much more gracious than just telling someone to fuck off.  Jerkoff

Then you are missing the central point of Christianity. Everyone deserves the condemnation because universally humanity has been corrupted and individually we have fallen short of holiness. GC merely points out, as I do now, that Christ of has extended His Grace and offers eternal life to anyone who will accept it.

I can understand that many on AF see Christianity as just a culture of do's and don'ts to keep people from living life the way they want to. And in a sense that's true. From our perspective, we are inviting spiritual alcoholics to our AA meetings and they are telling us to fuck off so they can keep drinking from a bottle of lies.
As Hitchens said, "created sick and then ordered to be well". It's no surprise that the institution that tells us how broken we are also just happens to have the cure.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 21, 2016 at 12:05 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: I can understand that many on AF see Christianity as just a culture of do's and don'ts to keep people from living life the way they want to.

Almost. I see it as a cult, not a culture. A cult, like so many others that has a need to recruit to validate it's own existence. That it needs to 'recruit' young children is all you need to know about Christianity. You're all victims.
If that's what christianity was, it's awfully bad at doing what it does.  Christians -do- live their lives the way they want, christianity be damned.  Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find a more faithful place than a prison. The way we hear it told, christ himself is making the rounds on the cellblock, not the guards.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 21, 2016 at 12:19 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find a more faithful place than a prison.  The way we hear it told, christ himself is making the rounds on the cellblock, not the guards.

And why not? Perhaps the prisoners are hoping for a repeat of Acts 16:26. Or, at the very least, a group of yokels on the parole board who are impressed the convicts have adopted the Un-Officially Endorsed Imaginary Friend.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lucifer/Satan the Tragic Hero of humanity gorgonopsid 5 7020 November 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: R-e-n-n-a-t
  The Responsibility of Lucifer Cinjin 21 4102 November 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: The Winter Saint