Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 6:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you attack the Church if you could?
RE: Would you attack the Church if you could?
(December 1, 2016 at 10:53 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: Can we take the same stance with people in America?  If you cannot support yourself, you should not be allowed to stay.  Interesting concept.  You must be a Trump supporter.

Why would you give an institution an exemption you wouldn't allow for an individual? Be specific.

(December 1, 2016 at 10:53 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: Can we take the same stance with people in America?  If you cannot support yourself, you should not be allowed to stay.  Interesting concept.  You must be a Trump supporter.

While there are plenty of people who abuse government assistance in the United States I think people who are legitimately unable to support themselves should receive some kind of help. That is not at all the same as saying a church should receive tax exempt status just for... well... being a church. Not even really seeing where you draw that parallel to be honest; it's apples and oranges. And no, I would not consider myself a Trump supporter.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

(November 27, 2016 at 2:07 am)Macoleco Wrote: By attacking I mean violently and/or economically speaking. Would you do it if you had the power? Such a the Nazis did?

I think the Church cant reedem itself after all the damage it has done to humanity. Torturing and murder would not be enough to make them paid for what they have done. But if you had the power to command an army to attack the Church/Vatican would you do it? Would you like to see their blood spilled on the floor? Or would you brutally tax them?

The violent part within me would do this: Murder every cardinal of the Vatican, including the Pope. Destroy every church and crucify its priest upside down. Then, build a momument of shame with the name of every priest who has worked in that church. 

What about you? Let the rage flow through your veins.

Economically, yes. By taxing 75% of their annual income of everything - trade, donations, real estate and so on. And a mandatory audit on their real estate properties how they have been acquired. If something has been acquired in an illegal matter - seizure to benefit the state.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
PETE_ROSE Wrote:Can we take the same stance with people in America?  If you cannot support yourself, you should not be allowed to stay.  Interesting concept.  You must be a Trump supporter.

I don't favor taxing churches that follow the rules of other 501©3 corporations, but your comparison and accusation seem bizarre. Perhaps there is something wrong with your analogy.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(December 1, 2016 at 4:57 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:
(December 1, 2016 at 4:37 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Actually I think all churches should have to pay property taxes and sales tax.  They shouldn't get a free ride just because they're a religion.  Just think of how much tax revenue we could raise from all these multi-million dollar megachurches out there.  In return, preachers will be allowed to preach politics from the pulpit if they want (like many of them already do and get away with it).  But religion would still be kept out of government as per the First Amendment.

We could give a discount to the One True Faith.

As soon as they figure out which one that is.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(December 1, 2016 at 9:00 pm)Macoleco Wrote:
(December 1, 2016 at 7:32 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I agree. I think it is far worse when a supposed "man of God" does evil things than when just any ol'Joe does. They should be held to a higher standard above others, and when they break that trust, it's heinous. And of course, the individuals who committed such acts and those involved in covering up should be reprimadded.

What I'm saying is I just don't think priests in general should be put into a box and stereotyped as sex offenders when they don't do it any more than the average man, and when other vocations do it more yet don't have the same stareotype. It's unfair to all the millions and millions of perfectly decent men out there who are priests. And of course, I'll object to someone saying they fantasize about murdering every person who is a priest, even those who are completely innocent of any crime. As is what the OP did.

Every priest is a criminal for me. Preaching lies and fear. Many believe that what they do is right, but it is actually wrong. Not that I will kill them for that anyway.

Ah. I see.

(December 1, 2016 at 10:46 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(December 1, 2016 at 7:32 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I agree. I think it is far worse when a supposed "man of God" does evil things than when just any ol'Joe does. They should be held to a higher standard above others, and when they break that trust, it's heinous. And of course, the individuals who committed such acts and those involved in covering up should be reprimadded.

They shouldn't be reprimanded. They should be prosecuted and jailed.

Yes. That is what I meant.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 1, 2016 at 9:00 pm)Macoleco Wrote: Every priest is a criminal for me. Preaching lies and fear. Many believe that what they do is right, but it is actually wrong. Not that I will kill them for that anyway.

Ingersoll recognised this more than a century ago:

[Image: quote-every-pulpit-is-a-pillory-in-which...-19-19.jpg]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 1, 2016 at 10:46 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(December 1, 2016 at 7:32 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: What I'm saying is I just don't think priests in general should be put into a box and stereotyped as sex offenders when they don't do it any more than the average man, and when other vocations do it more yet don't have the same stareotype.

Well, I don't care for any stereotype, so yeah no argument. But it's entirely fair game to point out the hypocrisy of both the priest molesting the youngster as well as the bishop who sends him to Venezuela so he can diddle another child.

Agreed. It is fair game to point out the hypocrisy of both.

Quote:And if the Catholic church doesn't like that sort of shit sticking to it, perhaps they should not have tolerated it for so goddamned long.

Agreed, though I think when you say "Catholic Church" you are using too broad of a term. All Catholics make up "the Catholic Church", yet of course the vast majority of us played no part in the crimes or in covering up those crimes. But yes, the individuals involved in any way (those who are still alive obviously) should get their day in court.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
"Attack?" Hell, no. That would make me a hypocrite. Treat them like a business and persecute anyone within the religion who breaks the law? Absolutely, yes.
(November 27, 2016 at 3:40 am)Alex K Wrote: Oh, I've phantasized about this for years - My dream is to make a vial full of antimatter at the collider at CERN, then smuggle it into St. Peter's tomb, just for added symbolic power of science destroying the bedrock of faith (get it, peter, rock...), and then have the stupid church people scramble to find it before the containment battery runs out and obliterates the vatican in a subnuclear firestorm. If I feel like it, I might at the last minute fake having a divine revelation  as to the whereabouts of the bomb, and let them make me their new messiah? Not a bad plan, eh?

You've reading too much of Dan Brown's drivel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could God be impotent? Fake Messiah 7 1123 February 25, 2023 at 10:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 9944 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The little church that could. Chad32 21 4299 May 25, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 837 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Could Hell exist? Europa! 20 4688 September 16, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Could Ireland be restored? EringoBragh 28 4309 August 25, 2016 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  If I could change one thing about religion... robvalue 26 6486 January 9, 2016 at 5:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Theists Could Learn Much From Booker Minimalist 1 1608 August 13, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Could this be the worst argument for a deity yet? ReptilianPeon 15 5268 July 4, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Would this be all we need to prove God exists? Or would it require more than this? IanHulett 30 5718 January 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle