Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 7:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question
RE: Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question
Quote:unless you are willing to consider the possibility there is no god, than there is no point in the dicussion.

More than that, it isn't even a 'discussion'.  To a theist is who not even going to leave open the possibility that they might be wrong, the opposite of talking isn't listening.  The opposite of talking is waiting.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(March 3, 2018 at 6:10 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm a little more blunt: "If you'd like me to stay in the room/at this gathering we won't discuss religion or politics. "

You don't like discussing religion or politics irl? Dude, those are my two favorite subjects.
I suspect he means he doesn't enjoy discussing it with people he is determined to get along with and will no doubt disagree with on those topic in a most disagreeable way.
(March 4, 2018 at 2:46 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(March 3, 2018 at 6:10 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm a little more blunt: "If you'd like me to stay in the room/at this gathering we won't discuss religion or politics. "

You don't like discussing religion or politics irl? Dude, those are my two favorite subjects.

Not with family. Thought this was mostly with family.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 4, 2018 at 2:46 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: You don't like discussing religion or politics irl? Dude, those are my two favorite subjects.

Especially when drinking alcohol. Wink
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Jenny, I think where people may be getting hung up is that having hope is part of having faith. The 2 go hand in hand. There is no concrete proof that God exists, but we *hope* that He does.

Of course, if it was somehow made 100% clear that God indeed was not real, there would be no reason to hope anymore and I would just face the reality. But as everyone knows, It's almost impossible to disprove a negative and probably impossible to disprove the existance of God. So there will always be room for faith and hope, and people will keep hoping.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 4, 2018 at 9:23 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Jenny, I think where people may be getting hung up is that having hope is part of having faith. The 2 go hand in hand. There is no concrete proof that God exists, but we *hope* that He does.

Of course, if it was somehow made 100% clear that God indeed was not real, there would be no reason to hope anymore and I would just face the reality. But as everyone knows, It's almost impossible to disprove a negative and probably impossible to disprove the existance of God. So there will always be room for faith and hope, and people will keep hoping.

Faith requires no proof. We cannot prove (hate to use this overused example) Zeus doesn't exist, but we accept he doesn't, because we were willing to, as OP states: not believe in him, if he does not exist. Many could hope he exists all they want but it wouldn't change anything.

So if you were to try and discuss the existence of god with the OP, your answer to the question would be "no" and therefore cannot go further. lol Tongue
I am an atheist and so far off the political scale that there no real label that fits, at least I haven't run across one yet. But I don't eschew religious or political discussions with anyone because the one thing I really try to avoid is living in the bubble of my own perceptions, of being so wedded to my own opinions and beliefs that new understandings become as impossible for me as they are for a religious fanatic. How can I learn anything by talking only with people who are pretty much like me? Try as we might none of us are very wise, or hold onto more than a little bit of truth. Unfortunately it seems that many people perceive any questioning of their own belief as a personal attack, responding with the same emotional drive as does any animal backed into a corner. Also, unfortunately, most of what passes for news and commentary is also driven by this same kind of emotional response, resulting in a lot of blind propaganda and pure fantasy masquerading as fact and proof.

Anyway, I end up backing out of most such discussions pretty quickly just because they are not going anywhere interesting or useful. Instead I read a lot, currently focusing on ancient Stoic philosophy.
Due to my slightly modified work schedule, I’ve been having to stay at work for lunch. I usually try to avoid the break room, but I’ve been having no choice. It’s common for coworkers to try to convince me that there’s a god by sharing their stories. I just smile and nod as I scroll through my phone. Nothing I say will even be considered, so there’s no point in discussion. I’ve learned this and accept it.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(March 4, 2018 at 10:20 am)J a c k Wrote: Due to my slightly modified work schedule, I’ve been having to stay at work for lunch. I usually try to avoid the break room, but I’ve been having no choice. It’s common for coworkers to try to convince me that there’s a god by sharing their stories. I just smile and nod as I scroll through my phone. Nothing I say will even be considered, so there’s no point in discussion. I’ve learned this and accept it.

I've always openly informed my coworkers that I'm atheist, but of course I've been lucky enough to never work with a religious person who only wanted to talk about god all day.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6731 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 14608 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6887 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 7218 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Before I was born... Jehanne 12 1812 June 26, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30548 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 48129 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2560 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 4041 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Closing statements before leaving again for semester. Mystic 31 4130 January 6, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Astreja