Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 9:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism leaves too much room for error.
RE: Atheism leaves too much room for error.
FYI, Kyu.

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/codex/default.aspx

Quote:Codex Sinaiticus, a manuscript of the Christian Bible written in the middle of the fourth century, contains the earliest complete copy of the Christian New Testament. The hand-written text is in Greek. The New Testament appears in the original vernacular language (koine) and the Old Testament in the version, known as the Septuagint, that was adopted by early Greek-speaking Christians.
(August 18, 2009 at 3:42 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(August 18, 2009 at 9:07 am)The_Truth Wrote: The NEW TESTAMENT was written in Greek. The OLD TESTAMENT was written in ancient Hebrew.

As far as I can tell the oldest "old testament" as in more or less complete as it is today used by the early Christians was in Greek ... I'm no historian so that is not a fact but I would say that Retorth may have been correct.

Kyu
The Bible was written across a period of several centuries in the languages of Hebrew and Aramaic (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament). With the changing of nations and cultures across the centuries, these original writings have been translated many times to make the Bible available in different languages.

The Old Testament, it is well known, is written mostly in Hebrew; the New Testament is written wholly in Greek. The parts of the Old Testament not in Hebrew, namely, Ezra 4:8-6:18; 7:12-26; Jeremiah 10:11; Daniel 2:4-7:28, are in Aramaic (the so-called Chaldee), a related Semitic dialect, which, after the Exile, gradually displaced Hebrew as the spoken language of the Jews.

http://www.bibleanswerstand.org/QA_written.htm
Quote:The Bible was written across a period of several centuries in the languages of Hebrew and Aramaic (Old Testament)

Evidence, please. Or do you merely deal in bland assertions with no need to back them up?
(August 18, 2009 at 9:44 am)The_Truth Wrote:
(August 18, 2009 at 2:23 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Now, again, can you really (I mean truly really) be THAT stupid?
Please allow me to point out your inconsistencies.

Oh please do!

(August 18, 2009 at 9:44 am)The_Truth Wrote: there was no matter/energy, time, or space, literally NOTHING. Then the universe started.
(This is incorrect, energy/matter have always existed). First Law of Thermodynamics.

Actually the first law of thermodynamics states, "The increase in the internal energy of a system is equal to the amount of energy added by heating the system, minus the amount lost as a result of the work done by the system on its surroundings."

In essence you seems to be suggesting the old anti-big bang argument that, "something can not come out of nothing", yes? This argument is only superficially convincing because, from quantum mechanics (not that I'm any expert) it is understood that "vacuum fluctuations" can occur. To recycle an earlier answer of mine:

It is known that quantum vacuum fluctuations allow for the appearance of energy & matter from nothing without violating the First Law of Thermodynamics. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle allows for the spontaneous appearance of particles of matter from vacuum for a period of time inversely related to their masses and without violating the laws of Conservation of Energy. A predicted effect of this (the Casimir-Polder force) has been detected (Crabb, 1994) and a further predicted effect (that of the effect of vacuum fluctuations upon the energy levels of atoms ... the Lamb shift) has been detected and measured to five significant figures in hydrogen (Barrow, 1983). The existence of these “Vacuum Fluctuations” has led to speculation that the universe itself may have originated in such a fluctuation followed by a rapid inflationary period. It has been further proposed that the positive and negative energy in the universe balance each other so that the universe's net energy is zero (Ecker, 1990, 203). As such the appearance of the universe out of nothing via a quantum vacuum fluctuation does not violate the laws of Conservation of Energy.

Ultimately however the origins of the universe including the very earliest stages of the massive expansion phase known as "the big bang" are highly speculative and no one in the scientific community is, as far as I am aware, arguing otherwise.

There's more here from the late, great Dr. Asimov:

(August 18, 2009 at 9:44 am)The_Truth Wrote: 2. The entity, known as a singularity, expanded very rapidly. Sometimes this is called an "explosion", but this is misleading. In a typical explosion, matter and energy expand into space. But there was no space to expand into. (You claim there was no space for matter and energy to expand into)

Space is an attribute of the universe ... as it expanded it effectively created its own space as it moved into it.

(August 18, 2009 at 9:44 am)The_Truth Wrote: 3. Dicke also suggested that our universe may have been created from the remains of a previous one and that infinitesimal amounts of radiation would be detectable if this were so. (Further down, you claim there was a previous universe). therefore, allowing energy/matter to expand.

What point are you making apart from repeating what I've already said?

(August 18, 2009 at 9:44 am)The_Truth Wrote: Is this correct?

I am discussing some reasonably modern thought of some considerable intellects on the subject, these guys have a few active more brain cells than me (and many, many more than you) so I would assume they know what they're talking about.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(August 18, 2009 at 4:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:The Bible was written across a period of several centuries in the languages of Hebrew and Aramaic (Old Testament)

Evidence, please. Or do you merely deal in bland assertions with no need to back them up?

Well we know it was stories and texts that were put together into one big book. There are many writings about Christianity that aren't even in the Bible. The Bible is real and people really wrote those stories but the stories are NOT true. People should look at it as a fairy tale.
(August 18, 2009 at 3:53 pm)The_Truth Wrote:
(August 18, 2009 at 3:42 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: As far as I can tell the oldest "old testament" as in more or less complete as it is today used by the early Christians was in Greek ... I'm no historian so that is not a fact but I would say that Retorth may have been correct.
The Bible was written across a period of several centuries in the languages of Hebrew and Aramaic (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament). With the changing of nations and cultures across the centuries, these original writings have been translated many times to make the Bible available in different languages.

Yet as Minimalist pointed out the Codex Sinaiticus (the earliest complete New Testament) was hand written in Greek and according to Wikipedia (a source which I trust more than you, thoug that's not saying much):

Quote:The early Christian Church used the Septuagint, the oldest Greek version of the Hebrew Bible, as its religious text until at least the mid-fourth century.

So again I think it is worth assuming Retorth had a point.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Ok, going back to the OP:

Atheism leaves too much for error eh? Exactly the same amount of error it leaves you, The_Truth - as well myself and others of course - respective to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

EvF
(August 19, 2009 at 10:04 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Ok, going back to the OP:

Atheism leaves too much for error eh? Exactly the same amount of error it leaves you, The_Truth - as well myself and others of course - respective to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

EvF
Yes sir, I believe atheism is incorrect. I have shown how life and universe began with materials that are so small they can't be seen by the human eye. And God said in the Bible The Worlds were formed with things that cannot be seen. How can you disagree with that? How can you claim that is an untrue statement by God? (written nearly 3000 years ago). How did the Hebrews know the Universe and all life-form was created by cosmic elements that are so small, they are invisible?

I cannot believe atheists dismiss this statement by the bible.

"By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible." - Hebrews 11:3

It's statements like this that make me believe in the bible, and of course God.
(August 19, 2009 at 12:00 pm)The_Truth Wrote: Yes sir, I believe atheism is incorrect. I have shown how life and universe began with materials that are so small they can't be seen by the human eye. And God said in the Bible The Worlds were formed with things that cannot be seen. How can you disagree with that?

How can you confirm fact from a book written by countless hands over countless years?

Quote:How can you claim that is an untrue statement by God? (written nearly 3000 years ago). How did the Hebrews know the Universe and all life-form was created by cosmic elements that are so small, they are invisible?

How can you claim with such certainty that there was a god to begin with to make such a statement?

Quote:I cannot believe atheists dismiss this statement by the bible.

We dismiss any statements made by the bible because the bible itself is not a liable source of fact. Far from it. Nobody can clarify with absolutely certainty the accuracy of its information.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(August 19, 2009 at 12:12 pm)Retorth Wrote: How can you confirm fact from a book written by countless hands over countless years?
It's in plain site. God said he formed the world's with things that are invisible. modern science confirmed it with their discovery of invisible atoms.

Quote:How can you claim with such certainty that there was a god to begin with to make such a statement?
Because only a God would know the universe and everything in between was created by materials that are not visible to the human eye.

[quoteWe dismiss any statements made by the bible because the bible itself is not a liable source of fact. Far from it. Nobody can clarify with absolutely certainty the accuracy of its information.
[/quote]How can you say the bible is not a liable source of information? I have provided a verse from ancient scripture that modern science has proven to be factual. Modern Archaeologists use the bible as a map to dig for oil. Amazing discoveries are being unearthed all the time. No book in human history is more accurate than the bible. It's been written in numerous different languages, and it's sold over 6.7 billion copies. Making it the most sold book in the history of the world.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 6885 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 19228 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24944 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4090 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Me too Foxaèr 6 1341 October 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 17614 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27764 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  A very good Friday to you, too, sir. Nanny 2 1092 April 14, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 42537 November 16, 2016 at 4:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Not-so-elephant In The Room Excited Penguin 192 21319 December 25, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet