Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 2:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why do you not believe in God?
RE: Why do you not believe in God?
(July 15, 2012 at 2:48 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Could we draft in some decent atheists please because jeff is wiping the floor with these guys and it's embarrassing!

Are we reading the same thread?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Re: RE: Why do you not believe in God?
(July 15, 2012 at 5:51 am)Skepsis Wrote: When Jeff stops strawmanning, evading, making vague, metaphysical arguments, denying logic, and constructing poor syllogisms,
You've seen grown ups using those words haven't you?
(July 15, 2012 at 6:24 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(July 15, 2012 at 5:51 am)Skepsis Wrote: When Jeff stops strawmanning, evading, making vague, metaphysical arguments, denying logic, and constructing poor syllogisms,

"Grown ups"?
Since when do adults have imaginary friends?
Seems to me that you don't have any room to talk to me about my maturity. I'll call out shitty arguments where and when I see them.
Jeff is a special case- even by the standards I set for theists his comprehension of basic logic and step-by-step explanation is terrible.
Which is why I find it more than a small oddity that anyone, even another xtard, would support him.

For example, he has neglected to answer my lengthy post that absolutely destroys his arguments, reveals his strawmen, and functions as a deadline for all his previous bullshit. He didn't bother to take another look at my rebuttal, and obviously neither did you.
Do you ever get tired of having you ass handed to you by atheists?
Judging by your picture, I would suppose not.
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true.
Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
-Bertrand Russell
Don't let fr0d0 get to you. He's just trolling. He's more full of shit than any of them.
(July 15, 2012 at 2:48 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Could we draft in some decent atheists please because jeff is wiping the floor with these guys and it's embarrassing!

[Image: snowy-owl-meme-o-rly-oh-really.jpg]
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(July 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm)Jeffonthenet Wrote:
(July 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm)KnockEmOuttt Wrote: Am I correct in thinking you are arguing against the use of logic? If that's the case, your past arguments make perfect sense to me now.

I am not. I am saying justifying logic by logic is circular. I accept logic, but not on the basis of logic. To say, as Taq, we know logic is true because it has been tried and therefore works, seems to me to assume logic.

The argument, it seems to me, is something like this

1. Things that are true are things that work in reality
2. Logic works in reality
3. Therefore basic logic is true

You can quit strawmanning us any time, twat.

Quote:However to even go from 1 to three you must assume logic is true as you use logic to make any inference.

Logic can be tested, and in fact developed and continues to develop through testing.

Quote: It used to be philosophers thought you could demonstrate truths by reason alone, and this has failed, which is partly what led to post-modernism.

And now it is understood that reason answers to evidence. Try to catch up to the 20th century, at least.

Quote:We know logic by intuition, and so it is also possible that this is how we can know God.

No, we don't. This is what I was talking about when I pointed out that you are incapable of honest debate.

Only an equally ignorant, disingenuous, intellectually bankrupt twat like you would think so.

(July 15, 2012 at 6:24 am)fr0d0 Wrote:

I see that you have been destroyed to the point that you can only lay in a pool of your own blood, shit, and vomit and jeer from the sidelines.
I agree logic can be tested so it's not in the same field, but where we wrong to depend on logic before analytically rigorously testing it? Were we wrong to believe in it in a properly basic manner without testing it?
(July 15, 2012 at 11:11 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I agree logic can be tested so it's not in the same field, but where we wrong to depend on logic before analytically rigorously testing it? Were we wrong to believe in it in a properly basic manner without testing it?

No, we weren't wrong.
Logic is inherent in humans largely due to the evolutionary process which, in the case of humans, thinned out the less logical; logic, being a distinguishing feature in humans, was one of the biggest things that separated us from other predators. It is intuitive because it works to survive, which lends it credibility in assessing the truth of our surroundings. There are places in which intuition fails, namely in more recent physics, but this doesn't discredit intuition in the "human sphere" where our senses are nearly impeccably accurate.
Logic doesn't need the same rigorous testing due to the nature of logic's origins, that of selective progression that depended on interpretation of the natural world and one's surroundings to such a degree that unproblematic survival might be ensured.
I guess I said all of that so I could say that the "testing" of logic can be said to have already been taken care of by nature.
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true.
Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
-Bertrand Russell
So suppose knowledge of God was properly basic, perhaps some people have it and others lose trust in it, because it's not able to be tested? But in this case, it surely is not wrong to trust it.

Perhaps "spirituality" is the form of constantly testing our knowledge of God and why people feel the need to practice a religion?
(July 15, 2012 at 11:36 am)MysticKnight Wrote: So suppose knowledge of God was properly basic, perhaps some people have it and others lose trust in it, because it's not able to be tested? But in this case, it surely is not wrong to trust it.

Perhaps "spirituality" is the form of constantly testing our knowledge of God and why people feel the need to practice a religion?

So, there's this little thing humans have that we develop an aversion to at an early age... it's called FEAR.
You see, fear is something that is invoked when an individual feels a situation is likely to end in his/her detriment, especially in the case of physical harm, pain, or long-term loss of some kind or another.
Fear has always been a basic, ingrained thought pattern necessary for survival (or increased survival chances). The reason religion was developed was in large part to allow for an escape from the fear of death, loss of loved ones, and the ability to never fear anything again after a certain event- death. That way, God can avoid the axe of logic. At least for the gullible.
When you say that religion, or "spirituality" in your case, is a basic belief, you are asserting that a human with no contact in any sense with any other person would have knowledge of God.
Prove it.
Your full of shit if you really think that. You are equating my comments about logic having been tested (in a sense) by nature to the idea that people naturally have a belief, or at least an understanding, of a God or something of the sort.
Nobody intuits God. People might intuitively develop an imaginary friend, but it is to allieviate another human faculty called "loneliness".
Beliefs that conflict with, contradict, or ignore logic nearly always serve a purpose to the believer. Most of the time these beliefs are ingraned, but they can be developed solely by the adherent, in which case the believer likely just wishes the proposition to be true for some reason.
-Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 6106 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5345 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 463050 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2502 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 9249 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Why do you hate God? johndoe122931 100 7613 June 3, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 8326 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 14166 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4451 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3597 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet