Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 1:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Where did the Jesus myth come from?
RE: Where did the Jesus myth come from?
This is a very revealing and absorbing article on the supposed historicity of Jesus and its origins, from a scholarly Jewish perspective:

Refuting Missionaries: The Myth of the Historical Veracity of Jesus (by Hayyim ben Yehoshua)

It's a fairly long and in-depth analysis, involving translations and mistranslations - accidental and deliberate - of original Hebrew text. Well recommended.

(For the lulz if not for balance, check out the best that the Tektonics Apologetics Ministry has come up with in 'refutation'.)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm)Stimbo Wrote: This is a very revealing and absorbing article on the supposed historicity of Jesus and its origins, from a scholarly Jewish perspective:

Refuting Missionaries: The Myth of the Historical Veracity of Jesus (by Hayyim ben Yehoshua)

It's a fairly long and in-depth analysis, involving translations and mistranslations - accidental and deliberate - of original Hebrew text. Well recommended.

(For the lulz if not for balance, check out the best that the Tektonics Apologetics Ministry has come up with in 'refutation'.)

That's an extremely interesting piece, I've read some of it and will read the rest tomorrow. As a lapsed Christian; from the age of five when we are first taught about Jesus we are told never to question the scriptures, so we never did. It's only when one matures and begins to think for oneself that doubts begin. Also as you will know, blasphemers were executed centuries back so why would anyone question or criticise the scriptures?
Good point. There is at least one branch of fundamentalist opinion (and probably more than a vein of it threading through the rest, not excluding the moderates) which bemoans the fact that you can't legally set fire to people with different beliefs and inconvenient questions anymore.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm)Stimbo Wrote: This is a very revealing and absorbing article on the supposed historicity of Jesus and its origins, from a scholarly Jewish perspective:

Quote:The majority of these beliefs only came into existence after the persecution by Nero and the tragedy of 70 C.E. Many of these beliefs are based on the pagan legends about the gods Tammuz, Osiris, Attis, Dionysus and the sun god Mithras

What happened in 70 C.E.?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOCTL0nnh70
(August 8, 2012 at 8:23 am)cratehorus Wrote: What happened in 70 C.E.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masada
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
The Siege of Jerusalem in the year 70 was the decisive event of the First Jewish-Roman War. The Roman army, led by the future Emperor Titus, with Tiberius Julius Alexander as his second-in-command, besieged and conquered the city of Jerusalem, which had been occupied by its Jewish defenders in 66.

The siege ended with the sacking of the city and the destruction of its famous Second Temple. The destruction of both the first and second temples is still mourned annually as the Jewish fast Tisha B'Av. The Arch of Titus, celebrating the Roman sack of Jerusalem and the Temple, still stands in Rome.
Quote:Good point. There is at least one branch of fundamentalist opinion (and probably more than a vein of it threading through the rest, not excluding the moderates) which bemoans the fact that you can't legally set fire to people with different beliefs and inconvenient questions anymore.

What the fuckers call "the good old days" Stim.
Too true. I can just imagine them walking through one of those Chamber of Horror things full of recreations of Inquisition subtlety, and getting tingles in all the wrong places.
Can you get tingles in the wrong places?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suffer the little children to come unto me LinuxGal 2 672 August 7, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6895 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is this a disproof of Allah I've come up with? Atheism_is_True 5 666 July 12, 2022 at 5:55 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Did Jesus drink wine or grape juice? Dundee 68 5851 November 27, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7572 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 14642 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Jesus ever sin? ignoramus 59 12313 May 3, 2018 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4559 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Personification in Greek Myth Tea Earl Grey Hot 35 6812 March 30, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  What motivates theists to come here? robvalue 83 11192 August 20, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic