Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 4:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hare Krishna
RE: Hare Krishna
I am disappoint.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(October 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm)Annik Wrote: I am disappoint.
Honestly, me too.

How have I disappointed you?
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
(October 6, 2012 at 11:04 pm)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote:
(October 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm)Annik Wrote: I am disappoint.
Honestly, me too.

I was hoping that you would be a little more open to ideas, but you lack a basic understanding of science and the drive to find out for yourself. Instead, you hide behind sarcasm as if it actually makes you more clever. It doesn't, it just makes me disappoint.
(October 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm)Annik Wrote: I was hoping that you would be a little more open to ideas, but you lack a basic understanding of science and the drive to find out for yourself. Instead, you hide behind sarcasm as if it actually makes you more clever. It doesn't, it just makes me disappoint.
I really appreciate science, honestly. I'd like to learn more about science.

But that's not at all the struggle I feel like I've been having here. The point is that weak philosophy has sometimes been presented as science. People keep making these really weird arguments and insisting I'm a fool for not accepting them. That's the stuff that's tough to get past.
What philosophy?
Here's an argument I think is funny, for example:

( P ) Modern science, by their standard of achieving knowledge, has no evidence for God
( C ) Therefore there is no reason to think there is a God

What's missing from this argument is that there may be other ways of knowing if God exists or not. You certainly haven't proved that the modern scientific method is the only way to know anything that may be knowable. That's a claim science can't prove. I've heard respected scientists entirely agree with this point.

Science is great when it stays within the bounds of what it can talk about. When it starts making claims about things it can't talk about, like spirituality, or makes the claim that there is nothing else to talk about, that's like an intellectual foul.
Well done; you just proved that you can knock down a strawman that you made yourself!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 6, 2012 at 11:25 pm)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Here's an argument I think is funny, for example:

( P ) Modern science, by their standard of achieving knowledge, has no evidence for God
( C ) Therefore there is no reason to think there is a God

What's missing from this argument is that there may be other ways of knowing if God exists or not. You certainly haven't proved that the modern scientific method is the only way to know anything that may be knowable. That's a claim science can't prove. I've heard respected scientists entirely agree with this point.

Science is great when it stays within the bounds of what it can talk about. When it starts making claims about things it can't talk about, like spirituality, or makes the claim that there is nothing else to talk about, that's like an intellectual foul.

What evidence do you have for a god, then?
(October 6, 2012 at 11:42 pm)Annik Wrote: What evidence do you have for a god, then?

That warm fuzzy feeling, maybe with some coincidence sprinkled on top and a large side dish of credulity. The only evidence anyone ever has...
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(October 6, 2012 at 1:23 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: We're working on the premise that life is a product of dumb energy, right?
Right!

Proteinoid
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy