Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 11:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell, or rather my brief experience of it.
RE: Hell, or rather my brief experience of it.
(November 9, 2012 at 11:25 am)Ben Davis Wrote: Err... yeah I do. If you don't see the pretention in your comments, it's you who has the lack of understanding.
Evidently not, then please explain.

Quote:No he's not. The number of people who've sincerely made exactly the same request and heard nothing is the evidence of this fallacy.
Actually it is a promise made by Christ in Luke 11. The only then one has to do is follow the model of Luke 11.

Quote:But it's not for you alone, is it. You clearly feel a responsibility to share the experience and that makes it fair game for criticism.
It's not the expierience that I can share just the testamony derived from what i experienced. What I am 'sharing' is not the experience of Hell but the personal attention Christ offers each of us through the Holy Spirit.

Quote:The whole A/S/K acronym is the most pretentious part. As if you're marketing your own business model for salvation... shame.
I use A/S/K simply because I get confused as to which tense of the words i should use. Nothing is being marketed here out side of this parable in Luke 11:
5 And He said to them, “Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves; 6 for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him’; 7 and he will answer from within and say, ‘Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you’? 8 I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread[d] from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

What are we supposed to A/S/K for? Look at the last sentence. The Holy Spirit. With the Gift of the Holy Spirit in our lives we are given the ablity to See and Hear God. If we are faithful to this basic gift then we will be given more.
Drich, I watched this scene when I was 8 years old:
Beware, Johnny Depp dies in here!

After that, I had many nights where I had a certain difficulty staying asleep...
Does that mean that my dreams were true? Were they a sign from god?

Heck, are anyone's dreams messages from the divine realm? Or just a select few? If so, how can you tell them apart?
(November 9, 2012 at 10:58 am)Drich Wrote: I had an exceedingly hard and evil heart

Uh, no you didn't, nitwit. All of your thoughts and emotions, "evil" or otherwise, originate in and emanate from your brain.
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
(November 8, 2012 at 6:44 pm)Drich Wrote:
(November 8, 2012 at 4:04 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: You started the debate that raised ALL the questions.

And about the Bible and your god...

...I don't care.

You bore me. You've always bored me. Try building a convincing argument now.
Your so vain I bet you think that post was about you, don't you? Big Grin

If the message does not apply then don't feel the need to answer... Unless you do think that the post who was addressed to someone else was indeed about you.
You know what? You're absolutely right for a change.

I keep forgetting to simply ignore the garbage that you spew forth.

*ignores you again*

For what it's worth Drich, I think TGAC is looking for specific examples of Cinjin using "facts in support of hate" in the way that the German Nazis did. You've yet to provide any examples of Cinjin doing this. Moreover, I'd suggest your definition is overly broad. There is more that is specific to what the Nazis did than just using facts to promote hate. That's almost the definition of propaganda, simpliciter (propaganda = the use of emotional appeals to encourage action). Many people use facts to promote hate. The Southern Poverty Law Center uses facts to promote anger and hatred of dishonest and dangerous Tea Party political tactics. That doesn't make them Nazis. So your analogy fails by being too broad and inclusive in its definition, and failing to tie it to specific acts of Cinjin.

Regarding the dream and whether your observations are useful, they aren't. The hallmark of scientific observation is repeatability. There are strong reasons why this is important, but you'll just ignore them so I'll simply omit them. Is your dream observation repeatable? No. Are the visions of the prophets repeatable? No. Is the testimony of witnesses to Christ's ministry repeatable? No.

Therefore they count as weak anecdotal evidence, and a bunch of weak evidence is still weak — a mountain of bad arguments doesn't magically become a good argument by the sheer weight of it.

This is why anyone who can think logically discounts your "evidence" — not because it's not evidence, it is, but because it's evidence of the worst kind, and should not compel any thinking man or woman to belief. That it compels you to belief simply underscores your lack of ability in the thinking department, and the power of emotion and cognitive bias to overwhelm us by leading us to believe things without proper warrant.

You are trapped in your belief, by emotions and biases which led you there, just as am I. However, I would argue that the beliefs I'm trapped in do less harm and more good (Christ's children care for the sick; medicine heals them) than yours, thus I judge your beliefs, as well as the reasons which led you to them, as inferior.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I did give examples. they were dismissed as not being 'hateful enough' so I pointed to his thread/poll "http://atheistforums.org/thread-15615.html" Where his hate/anger carries over to his own father. I can also point to his current thread/poll where he is currently defending his particular use of 'facts' that supports his title assertion that in the beginning man was stupid." In this thread he starts off discussing biblical passages, and has since turned the conversation to 'facts' he presents to support stereotypes and focoused bigotry he feels is justified for the people who lived in the time, and culture that Genesis was orginally written. He has even attacked the characteristics of the penis' of the men who lived in that region and time. Which is something the Nazis directly did! They did this to dehumanize the Jews. Cinny is doing the same thing.
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/rim3.htm

...For what it is worth Alpo..
Drich Wrote:I had an exceedingly hard and evil heart, one who taunted God and questioned the severity of Hell. I needed to see Hell to get past my ownself. Not all experiences will wind up their. God knows who you are and exactly what you need to establish and maintain a solid faith. If you just A/S/K

I feel like I'm only going for low hanging fruit here, but you have yet to explain why you got held to a different standard than everyone else.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Because he's special?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Yes, but just not in the way that he thinks he is.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Drich Wrote:I had an exceedingly hard and evil heart, one who taunted God and questioned the severity of Hell. I needed to see Hell to get past my ownself. Not all experiences will wind up their. God knows who you are and exactly what you need to establish and maintain a solid faith. If you just A/S/K

I need Kasumi Nakane in my bed each night, begging me to take her through the performance of her and my naughtiest sexual fantasies, or I'll never learn to truly give myself completely and fully to a loving, all-embracing presence. Your god is the god of love after all.

I guess according to your story, I can expect her to be here tout de suite.

[Visual Aid]

She's even wearing white! And I have absolutely no objection to the inclusion of white lingerie, if that's a stickler with the "'big man".

(By the way, you've seen him, just how big is he? And what did he look like? Was he clean shaven? Long hair or short? Do tell?)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2270 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1471 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Question about this unusual experience orthodox-man 8 1231 January 26, 2018 at 10:39 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I was on the atheist experience :) Nihilist Virus 70 7907 April 6, 2016 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  My recent experience attending a Slovak Catholic church Mudhammam 3 1969 October 25, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 7134 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6877 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris
  My personal experience with christianity abaris 2 1620 October 26, 2014 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Sejanus
  My first psychedelic experience made me embrace my atheism Vegamo 5 2086 April 16, 2014 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  My Experience at ChristianForums.com Cinjin 35 8836 March 26, 2014 at 2:38 am
Last Post: fr0d0