Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 4:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask A Vegan Anything.
RE: Ask A Vegan Anything.
This thread upset me a little... enough for me to actually post, apparently Smile

As someone who has a very hard time eating much of anything, I really wish I could live on fruit and rice alone. I'm 36, and, yes, I'm physically young for my age, but I'm also too skinny. I try to eat healthy, but eating during the day makes me sick more often than not.

I'm a former vegetarian who has a nut allergy and a rare eating disorder. Now, I'm not allergic to peanuts (they're not nuts, they're legumes), but most of the time, peanuts are processed in factories with tree nuts, so I can't have them. When I was a veggie, I was grey and frail, which had nothing to do with the vegetarianism, but everything to do with a lack of protein. As a person with the kind of allergy I have (let alone the weird eating disorder), vegetarianism is a verrrrrry bad idea. Now, I've learned that when I am craving meat, it's probably because I'm deficient in iron or protein, so I have spinach or steak. Spinach is good for the iron, but not so much the protein.

The point is, until you talk to your doctor, and then possibly a nutritionist, no "diet" is safe unless you're actually balancing it and finding out what the unique YOU needs. This guy, who is now banned, has no authority on veganism, therefore, no one should even be asking him questions for any kind of advice. Just my opinion, but it is what it's worth, and I think Brian37 is right: this guy was just trying to bring attention to himself.
(January 12, 2013 at 2:10 am)Aractus Wrote: expecting those who give you advice or sell you something to be at least on the same level as you
This is stoopid. What one has accomplished is not relevant in the least as to the authenticity of a claim they proposed.

I only said I'd take a bodybuilders opinion/say over hers on this topic is because anyone who is capable of bodybuilding is also very well informed on nutrition.
(January 12, 2013 at 2:55 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: This thread upset me a little... enough for me to actually post, apparently Smile

As someone who has a very hard time eating much of anything, I really wish I could live on fruit and rice alone. I'm 36, and, yes, I'm physically young for my age, but I'm also too skinny. I try to eat healthy, but eating during the day makes me sick more often than not.

I'm a former vegetarian who has a nut allergy and a rare eating disorder. Now, I'm not allergic to peanuts (they're not nuts, they're legumes), but most of the time, peanuts are processed in factories with tree nuts, so I can't have them. When I was a veggie, I was grey and frail, which had nothing to do with the vegetarianism, but everything to do with a lack of protein. As a person with the kind of allergy I have (let alone the weird eating disorder), vegetarianism is a verrrrrry bad idea. Now, I've learned that when I am craving meat, it's probably because I'm deficient in iron or protein, so I have spinach or steak. Spinach is good for the iron, but not so much the protein.

The point is, until you talk to your doctor, and then possibly a nutritionist, no "diet" is safe unless you're actually balancing it and finding out what the unique YOU needs. This guy, who is now banned, has no authority on veganism, therefore, no one should even be asking him questions for any kind of advice. Just my opinion, but it is what it's worth, and I think Brian37 is right: this guy was just trying to bring attention to himself.
That's a perfect example of what I meant by underweight people not getting all their dietary requirements. Good post. One way in which people in your situation may be able to improve their diets is by having many small snack type “meals” throughout the day, rather than just the one, and to drink plenty of water.

(January 12, 2013 at 2:56 am)Gilgamesh Wrote: This is stoopid. What one has accomplished is not relevant in the least as to the authenticity of a claim they proposed.
Would you go to a GP who is obviously sick all the time? You'd be stupid to do so. When you go to the cafe, do you want to see the owner smoking outside their business all the time? Do you want that person handling your food? There's a small cafe across from where I work, and the owner is always doing that. It's fucking disgusting. Needless to say I don't buy her food, I go to a different cafe.
I do tend to snack on healthy things frequently. My advisory shouldn't mean much, but I tend to remain healthy because of healthful snacks.

Edited to add: I also get a lot of exercise.
are you a vegan because of the animals? or environment? or just because you don't want to get fat?
Welcome garbishcan. The OP was banned. Seeing as he is "anti-fur" I'd say it's because of animal rights idolatry.

I have 2 good leather jackets, and a nice sheepskin jacket. The sheepskin jacket always gets compliments (it's nothing fancy really). People that are "anti-fur" are typically ignorant people. Sheepskin and seal-fur and two such products I'd have absolutely nothing against. I wouldn't touch lion-fur, of course, even though the lion-skin jacket in "Wizard of Oz" looks fucking amazing - times have changed, and lions are endangered now.
(January 12, 2013 at 7:07 am)Aractus Wrote: The OP was banned. Seeing as he is "anti-fur" I'd say it's because of animal rights idolatry.

Then you'd be wrong. Please refer to the Staff Log for information.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Seems I misread the staff log.
LastPoet Wrote: "Banned BGChuckLee For continous Inflamatory behaviour for two weeks."
I read it as "he was continually inflammatory for two weeks", but he was only here for about 1 week, thus I should have read it as being a temporary 1-week ban. Facepalm My bad!
Hmm, I'm a Pescetarian and avoid milk and foods with high milk content for dietary reasons (it just doesn't agree with me).

I'm relatively healthy, its just a shame I have to work with people, and come into regular contact with people, who have no regard for basic or personal hygiene thereby giving me bloody stomach bugs and colds every other week.

Meh, food is overrated anyway. Especially spending all day trying to cook and prepare the damn stuff!

Cook damn you potatoes. COOK!
Yes, a lot of people with anorexia know something is wrong, but they still continue doing it. OP Chuckie here is an example. From what he's saying, he has a carb heavy diet with no protein. Yet he's sticking with it, not because it's healthy, but because it's giving him the body he wants.

I've bordered on anorexia, but in my case, it was from a combination of depression, poverty and new body issues. One of the thing I started to notice was that sense of accomplishment when you reach a new low weight, but unless you deal with the depression in your life, you can look at that and think "If I feel accomplished from hitting that weight, I wonder how much better I'll feel if I lose 10lbs more?" Thought processes like that can get you started without you even realizing that there's a problem.

If you have other health issues that prevent you from getting a good diet, yeah, the best idea is to see a doctor or, preferably, a nutritionist. Worst case scenario is they can devise some kind of suppliment for you to take. I read a story about a girl who was alergic to all food except tic-tacs, so most of her diet was some brownish gruel the doctors had concocted to get around her alergies. Medical science is really amazing!
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow What science says about plant-based diets (Vegan) NeotericNinja 68 8732 May 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Dysgenics - anything to worry about? Haydn2 0 746 September 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Haydn2