Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 3:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What is "FAITH"
RE: What is "FAITH"
(July 3, 2013 at 4:17 am)Consilius Wrote: God exists because truth (logic) and goodness (morality) do. They are eternal, immutable, invisible, and universal. They do not need to be taught, but are wired into the brains of people everywhere. They bring the human race together and lead it to an origin that is beyond us.
No. Just no.
(July 3, 2013 at 8:26 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote:
(July 3, 2013 at 4:17 am)Consilius Wrote: God exists because truth (logic) and goodness (morality) do. They are eternal, immutable, invisible, and universal. They do not need to be taught, but are wired into the brains of people everywhere. They bring the human race together and lead it to an origin that is beyond us.
No. Just no.

"Lord of the Flies" is a good piece of literature that pretty much spells out what happens when people aren't taught morals and ethics. Religion may teach people values such as this, but they aren't exclusive to god. I can't believe you when you say that it's "wired into the brains of people everywhere". I know I left this conversation awhile ago, but I can't allow you to just LIE when talking to people. If you're going to assert something like that, then provide some scientific studies to back up your claim that people are inherently "good".

Also, remember that it's the human race that defines what is good and what isn't. Just because a philosophical concept exists, it doesn't make god appear out of thin air. When the people of ancient Greece fell in love, they imagined it was some imaginary force that caused them to, so they attributed their sudden feelings to the god Eros. If god exists because "good" does, then Eros is still around because people still fall in love.
(July 3, 2013 at 2:40 am)fr0d0 Wrote: and that is a baseless assertion that we're keep asking for evidence of.

The evidence is gleaned from reading the bible. Properly, and without those rose-colored glasses, silly.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 2, 2013 at 11:59 pm)Maelstrom Wrote:
(July 2, 2013 at 11:57 pm)Godschild Wrote: You've never carefully inspected the Bible.

False, but nice try.

Then you've forgotten any and everything.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 3, 2013 at 11:47 am)Maelstrom Wrote:
(July 3, 2013 at 2:40 am)fr0d0 Wrote: and that is a baseless assertion that we're keep asking for evidence of.

The evidence is gleaned from reading the bible. Properly, and without those rose-colored glasses, silly.

Ah... 'properly' :p
(July 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(July 3, 2013 at 11:47 am)Maelstrom Wrote: The evidence is gleaned from reading the bible. Properly, and without those rose-colored glasses, silly.

Worship
(July 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(July 2, 2013 at 11:59 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: False, but nice try.

Then you've forgotten any and everything.

I feel like I have to keep reminding you of this, it's really weird, but here we go; somebody can disagree with you about the bible, and the answer isn't necessarily "that person doesn't know as much as me." The truth of that book is not so self evident that you can sit back and just smugly assert that it's true and everyone who disagrees has clearly never read it.

Why do you feel like you can get away with not actually arguing?

(July 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(July 3, 2013 at 11:47 am)Maelstrom Wrote: The evidence is gleaned from reading the bible. Properly, and without those rose-colored glasses, silly.

Just read it as literature, one time. Just one time, leaf through the bible as though you'd never heard of christianity, and at the end of that session, ask yourself which characters qualify as the villains.

Take away your cultural context and really look.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(July 3, 2013 at 10:04 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote:
(July 3, 2013 at 8:26 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: No. Just no.

"Lord of the Flies" is a good piece of literature that pretty much spells out what happens when people aren't taught morals and ethics. Religion may teach people values such as this, but they aren't exclusive to god. I can't believe you when you say that it's "wired into the brains of people everywhere". I know I left this conversation awhile ago, but I can't allow you to just LIE when talking to people. If you're going to assert something like that, then provide some scientific studies to back up your claim that people are inherently "good".

Also, remember that it's the human race that defines what is good and what isn't. Just because a philosophical concept exists, it doesn't make god appear out of thin air. When the people of ancient Greece fell in love, they imagined it was some imaginary force that caused them to, so they attributed their sudden feelings to the god Eros. If god exists because "good" does, then Eros is still around because people still fall in love.
How can morality be evolutionary if we need to be taught it? Is there a guy who came up with it and then taught it to everyone else? Is there a group of people who determine what we believe to be right and wrong?
I thought man was inherently evil. But we can all find out for ourselves, naturally, what "good" is. It's the moral landscape.
Actually, "good" exists because God does. It is an immutable product of an immutable being. Or can you tell us that, if circumstances change, murder can one day be accepted as moral?
(July 3, 2013 at 6:42 pm)Consilius Wrote: How can morality be evolutionary if we need to be taught it? Is there a guy who came up with it and then taught it to everyone else? Is there a group of people who determine what we believe to be right and wrong?
I thought man was inherently evil. But we can all find out for ourselves, naturally, what "good" is. It's the moral landscape.
Actually, "good" exists because God does. It is an immutable product of an immutable being. Or can you tell us that, if circumstances change, murder can one day be accepted as moral?

This is very simple. Morality is the evolutionary the same way that humans know how to build spaceships. Both concepts are started as nice ideas, but over time they are refined as we grow and learn more and more about ourselves and the universe.

Certain people STILL accept murder as moral. The bible teaches that we should stone naughty children, and this law was upheld for the longest time. Capital punishment is still practiced in most areas of the world as a way to keep certain lawbreakers out of society. (Are you for or against Capital Punishment? If you are, then by definition you are a law-abiding murderer.) In the Muslim world there are "Honor-killings", and for the longest time the anglo-saxon way of solving a dispute was to challenge someone to a duel, where one person murdered the other.

So...looking at the overwhelming evidence of moral murders...yes, there's a chance that we could one day accept certain forms of murder as acceptable, depending on how our society grows and evolves.
(July 3, 2013 at 1:16 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(July 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm)Godschild Wrote: Then you've forgotten any and everything.

I feel like I have to keep reminding you of this, it's really weird, but here we go; somebody can disagree with you about the bible, and the answer isn't necessarily "that person doesn't know as much as me." The truth of that book is not so self evident that you can sit back and just smugly assert that it's true and everyone who disagrees has clearly never read it.

Why do you feel like you can get away with not actually arguing?

How often do you read and study the Bible, from what I can tell little because you made a real good demonstration in our last argument of only a few verses. You could not connect what was said with what was done. I have not meet anyone here that can do much better, the Bible connects from the beginning to the end and no one but the Christians here have shown they know the connection.
I feel I can make this statement because no unbeliever has proven different.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 4061 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1316 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 997 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 12067 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 14017 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 932 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4357 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 14230 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 34028 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  Baha'i Faith, have you heard of it? Foxaèr 22 3365 October 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis