Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 1:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blind faith and evolution
RE: Blind faith and evolution
How are theism and atheism dogmatic? You realize there are people who are not a part of a religion but believe in something? And people who are in a religion but do not believe in a god?

You are talking about chemistry and physics and biology, specifically abiogenesis, not atheism, with that question. Life arose something like 3.5 billion years ago. My understanding is that it would not be inorganic matter turning into organic life form, although inorganic matter does help sustain life forms. Carbon and hydrogen atoms make shit organic. So your question is kinda awkward, if I'm wrong someone point it out, this is not my area of expertise. So you need organic matter before organic life and after inorganic matter.
its awkward because you are not able to admit that you don't know.

i am challenging the ideologies that keep this world at war, i call them religion.
(July 19, 2013 at 7:08 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: atheism is dogmatic

Atheism is to religion as baldness is to hair color.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
well that's some nice poetry n all, but im talking about principles
(July 19, 2013 at 7:23 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: well that's some nice poetry n all, but im talking about principles

Principles themselves are not dogmatic, unless one adds the connotation of a deity as being the effector of those principles.
~ Erin Hunter
i agree, i am talking about the principle of holding an idea as truth that is not proven, would you call that dogmatism?

evolution and creation both attempt to explain our origin, neither have a provable rational answer. Hell, are either of those ideas even testable?
Evolution is not about explaining how the life started.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

so then atheism has no idea about how life started?
(July 19, 2013 at 7:32 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: i am talking about the principle of holding an idea as truth that is not proven, would you call that dogmatism?

Quote:The tendency to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true, without consideration of evidence or the opinions of others.

No, atheism is not dogmatism, for the simple reason that it is apparent theists have no evidence to support the existence of their deities. When one lacks verifiable evidence to support something, it is logical to deduce that it does not exist until such a time evidence can be provided to support its existence. The probability of a deity being proven to exist, after tens of thousands of years of human evolution where no deity has been proven to exist, is basically nil.

(July 19, 2013 at 7:32 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: evolution and creation both attempt to explain our origin, neither have a provable rational answer.

Evolution is described as being a theory, but so is gravity. We know that if one jumps from a twenty story building that individual is going to be overtaken by gravity and fall to his death. Evolution is not invalidated just by its status of theory.

(July 19, 2013 at 7:37 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: so then atheism has no idea about how life started?

The Big Bang caused by a singularity, which led to the creation of planet earth, which led to the eventual evolution of life from single celled organisms.
~ Erin Hunter
(July 19, 2013 at 7:37 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: so then atheism has no idea about how life started?
Atheism is not about explaining how the life started either.
Most atheists rely on science and if science doesn't know it then they are not ashamed to admit it.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1484 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith InquiringMind 13 2739 September 21, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: InquiringMind
  Faith and achievement bennyboy 76 8613 August 17, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Faith in Science? Mudhammam 15 3345 October 30, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Our society values blind optimism. MusicLovingAtheist 27 5815 October 22, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Is Evolution a science or a faith? Harris 295 66309 August 18, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  My Loss of faith has caused severe depression Aran 31 7247 June 21, 2013 at 2:41 am
Last Post: whatever76
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 37418 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Please stop equating 'belief' and 'faith' Ryft 3 1986 January 4, 2011 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Faith in Humanity Violet 21 15974 March 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Violet