Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 8:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blind faith and evolution
RE: Blind faith and evolution
ok lets get back to the debate then,

i think we left off here

"we believe in a god or gods..." vs "we do not believe in a god or gods..." are either of these ideas, which are the same, testable? if not than what is the present conclusion on the matter?

sometimes the truth hurts.. sorry bout your feeelings
(July 19, 2013 at 8:55 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: And once I am finished it will not matter what you believe or know, you will believe however that you have been fucked by a train.

Can I borrow this, Germans? I want to work it into conversation. Smile
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 19, 2013 at 9:04 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: "we believe in a god or gods..." vs "we do not believe in a god or gods..." are either of these ideas, which are the same, testable? if not than what is the present conclusion on the matter?
How can lack of belief and belief be the same thing?
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

(July 19, 2013 at 9:04 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: ok lets get back to the debate then,

ok

Quote:i think we left off here

"we believe in a god or gods..." vs "we do not believe in a god or gods..." are either of these ideas, which are the same, testable? if not than what is the present conclusion on the matter?

sometimes the truth hurts.. sorry bout your feeelings

FAIL

How is it a debate when you enter with an argument which you insist to be always right before a counterargument is given?

Do you understand the concept of debate?????

(July 19, 2013 at 9:07 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Can I borrow this, Germans? I want to work it into conversation. Smile

Stimbo you can take whatever you want without asking.

And you are always welcome Big Grin
GC: you haven't offered a counter argument except telling me about you orc campaign and train set kiddo.

wwjs: as far as 'how is a lack of belief the same as a belief?'... well that's not easy but I will try,

in my opinion, there is a difference between a lack of belief, which is a form of idea based on belief and the principle of admitting you don't know something if you don't.

if I said "I do not believe hitlers train will fuck me" i am acerting something that i believe,

if I said "I do not know if hitlers train will fuck me" I am saying something different.
(July 19, 2013 at 9:18 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: wwjs: as far as 'how is a lack of belief the same as a belief?'... well that's not easy but I will try,

in my opinion, there is a difference between a lack of belief, which is a form of idea based on belief and the principle of admitting you don't know something if you don't.

if I said "I do not believe hitlers train will fuck me" i am acerting something that i believe,

if I said "I do not know if hitlers train will fuck me" I am saying something different.
Sorry but that makes no sense.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

(July 19, 2013 at 9:18 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: GC: you haven't offered a counter argument except telling me about you orc campaign and train set kiddo.

I did.

I explained why there is no such thing as atheist dogma.
I explained that I dont know how life came into existance but strive to know.

And you havent delivered any counterargument, but piked little stuff from when I lost my patience with the shit you posted to create the delusion for yourself that you had some kind of highground. I do not doubt that you will probably pull the same nonsence here.
(I'm giving you another chance just 'cos I'm a nice guy.)

(July 19, 2013 at 9:18 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote:

So you're conflating belief with knowledge? Now I think I can see where the confusion lies.

Now...

[Mod hat on]

This is called a speedbump. Kindly do not refer to TGAC as "Hitler". Apart from it being a rude thing to say, personal attacks of this nature are a violation of the rules. If I or any other member of staff see you doing it again, we will take action. Understood?

[Mod hat off]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
well i guess i missed your arguments in all of the threats and personal insults, lets try again,

how is a belief that no god or gods existing not dogmatic if the idea is not testable by today's level of reason?

and congratulations to you for admitting that you don't know how life came into existence, there are over 3 billion religious people that are not there yet.
(July 19, 2013 at 5:08 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote:
Chas Wrote:We do, in fact, know that is true given the preponderance of evidence.

It is a scientific theory that is repeatedly tested and succeeds.

lol the 'big bang' theory has been tested and proven? damn i missed it..

The Big Bang has nothing to do with evolution.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1484 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith InquiringMind 13 2739 September 21, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: InquiringMind
  Faith and achievement bennyboy 76 8613 August 17, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Faith in Science? Mudhammam 15 3345 October 30, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Our society values blind optimism. MusicLovingAtheist 27 5815 October 22, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Is Evolution a science or a faith? Harris 295 66307 August 18, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  My Loss of faith has caused severe depression Aran 31 7247 June 21, 2013 at 2:41 am
Last Post: whatever76
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 37417 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Please stop equating 'belief' and 'faith' Ryft 3 1985 January 4, 2011 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Faith in Humanity Violet 21 15974 March 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Violet