Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 10:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blind faith and evolution
RE: Blind faith and evolution
(July 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: yes I have maybe not worded what I was trying to say very well,

a belief should be conclusion based, tested and proven.

to dismiss an idea before it is tested is not smart, now if you were to say "I do not believe in a god or gods because mankind does not yet have the sophistication to test or know such things" you'd be a little closer to having an open mind.

but you are using the word belief here. that carries something stronger, even if it is used in the negative 'do not belief' it is a belief and you have not yet done the tests to have such a stance in that subject.

dogmatic.

Where is anyone here using the word belief to explain their atheism?
(July 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: yes I have maybe not worded what I was trying to say very well,

a belief should be conclusion based, tested and proven.

to dismiss an idea before it is tested is not smart, now if you were to say "I do not believe in a god or gods because mankind does not yet have the sophistication to test or know such things" you'd be a little closer to having an open mind.

but you are using the word belief here. that carries something stronger, even if it is used in the negative 'do not belief' it is a belief and you have not yet done the tests to have such a stance in that subject.

dogmatic.
oh i see, all this time when i've been saying i do not believe i genuinely thought it meant i do not have a belief. Apparently it actually means i believe.
it does from the general standpoint of an atheist. and on that note ya know, maybe you could have a small evolution there,

"I do not believe the ice cream will melt"

"I do not have a belief as to whether or not the ice cream will melt"

they are different statements and what you mean by saying that is not what is the generally agreed doctrine of atheism.
well no one told me the agreed doctrine of atheism. who told you about it? apparently you're not even in the club.
i kno! grats to me, good luck to you.
(July 19, 2013 at 10:08 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: i kno! grats to me, good luck to you.

ah, made it up yourself, didn't you?
Quote:how is a belief that no god or gods existing not dogmatic if the idea is not testable by today's level of reason?

Why is my problem to prove a negative? Let the proponents of god shit produce their evidence for their delusions and we can discuss it. Much of what they think is "evidence" does not pass the smell test but at least it is something to discuss.

Read up on Bertrand Russell's Celestial Teapot.
(July 19, 2013 at 10:08 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: i kno! grats to me, good luck to you.

How old are you, Christcahinkilla? By your avatar pic you look older than me (I'm 39). If I shaved off my beard damn near anyone on the street would probably guess you to be older than me.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
well i dont know how the way i look has anything to do with anything or who looks older, hell i wish i looked older because im young and i got some decent ideas and people hate me for em... you realize that if religion and atheism could both admit that they didn't know if a god or gods existed there would be peace and all of this fighting would be replaced with people fucking?

what are you doing tonight? im arguing about beliefs when i could be having sex...
(July 19, 2013 at 10:41 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: well i dont know how the way i look has anything to do with anything or who looks older, hell i wish i looked older because im young and i got some decent ideas and people hate me for em... you realize that if religion and atheism could both admit that they didn't know if a god or gods existed there would be peace and all of this fighting would be replaced with people fucking?

what are you doing tonight? im arguing about beliefs when i could be having sex...

I and I.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1477 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith InquiringMind 13 2735 September 21, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: InquiringMind
  Faith and achievement bennyboy 76 8581 August 17, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Faith in Science? Mudhammam 15 3341 October 30, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Our society values blind optimism. MusicLovingAtheist 27 5809 October 22, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Is Evolution a science or a faith? Harris 295 66116 August 18, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  My Loss of faith has caused severe depression Aran 31 7230 June 21, 2013 at 2:41 am
Last Post: whatever76
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 37302 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Please stop equating 'belief' and 'faith' Ryft 3 1983 January 4, 2011 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Faith in Humanity Violet 21 15960 March 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Violet