Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 5:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion'
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion'
(December 5, 2008 at 11:44 pm)lukec Wrote: Well... you're dismissing good evidence, and a chance to increase your knowledge on a subject based on the fact that you don't like who's showing you the links? Naughty!

No. It isn't personal. I don't take any of this personal. One of the first posts you wrote here in response to me was you telling me to discuss something without using the Bible. Now I wan't to discuss evoulution with you, from your own perspective. I could have looked up a bunch of links myself.

The response was more to deal with someone who knows little about the Bible criticizing it in the name of science and evidence without having to read it suggesting that I educate myself if I want to be taken seriously.

LukeMC has more sense than that as do you.

I am a retired person with very little interest in evolution. There is very little I can do for it and it can do for me. I don't believe in evolution but you wouldn't see me forming a message board to that effect. I don't get militant Atheists. They make no sense to me.
Well I'd say, that if you're not interested in evolution. Then you're basically not interested in whether its true or not. Because on what basis do you reject the evidence? Or do you just ignore the evidence? Do you just not look?
Also, the way I understand non-violent and reasonable militant atheism in general, is that its basically about, at least to me; not being tolerant of totally absurd beliefs about the universe. Caring about whether they're true or not, and caring about the effect they have on the world.
Very well- you have no interest and little knowledge of evolution, and that's fine, just don't bother discussing it or bringing it up since you don't care to learn enough for it to be relevant.
(December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm)Daystar Wrote:
(December 5, 2008 at 4:03 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(December 5, 2008 at 12:30 am)Daystar Wrote: How do you test something like that? A time machine?

No, something better than that ... geology, palaeontology and taxonomy (IOW validatable evidence and a rational interpretation of the same) Smile

Kyu

Give a brief example of this in action. Palaeontology for example. Lets see those fossils! No fakes now! I'm not talking about no pigs tooth and monkey skull fragment this, no!
(December 5, 2008 at 11:54 am)LukeMC Wrote: Daystar,
http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=258CAE2F4546AA95
http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=AC3481305829426D
http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=019F146277A3EDFD
http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_3.htm
http://www.gate.net/~rwms/EvoEvidence.html
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary...0/lines_01
http://txtwriter.com/Backgrounders/Evolu...tents.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

Either educate yourself about evolution, or just shut up about it altogether. Nobody will take you seriously if you continue to deny the fact of evolution, and if you refuse to learn then why should we put up with your nonsense?

This idiot who dismisses the Bible based upon some bullshit he was brainwashed with is going to spoonfeed me a bunch of links because he can't defend his own beliefs?

Piss off.

oh no you didnt Undecided

Phase A
-Learn what evolution is.
-Learn how we came to know it.
-Learn how we can test its validity.

Phase B
-Upon failing phase A, stop talking about evolution.
(December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm)Daystar Wrote: Piss off.

Make sure we don't over step it.Wink

Calling someone an idiot is fine, and being a little angry is fine but you can't really tell someone to go away.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(December 6, 2008 at 10:39 am)Ace Wrote: Calling someone an idiot is fine

Sad
(December 6, 2008 at 10:56 am)LukeMC Wrote:
(December 6, 2008 at 10:39 am)Ace Wrote: Calling someone an idiot is fine

Sad

Your not an idiotWink Actually I think your the opposite to it.

(I think people name call because they maybe losing the argument Wink Only cool heads win the debate)
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(December 6, 2008 at 9:25 am)LukeMC Wrote: [quote='Daystar' pid='5175' dateline='1228529975']Give a brief example of this in action. Palaeontology for example. Lets see those fossils! No fakes now! I'm not talking about no pigs tooth and monkey skull fragment this, no!

You want me to educate you about Palaeontology? Are you serious? Do you actually have any idea how many fossils we are talking about? Not 1, not 10, not 100 or even a thousand but millions upon millions of fossils that when considered as a whole provide evidence in support of the theory of evolution that only someone who was, in the words of Theodosius Dobzhansky, can only "be doubted only by those who are ignorant of the evidence or are resistant to evidence, owing to emotional blocks or to plain bigotry"

I strongly suggest, as Luke has already done, that you go away and learn some science because the question you just asked betrays a frighteningly real ignorance of it.

Kyu
(December 6, 2008 at 11:53 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: You want me to educate you about Palaeontology? Are you serious? Do you actually have any idea how many fossils we are talking about? Not 1, not 10, not 100 or even a thousand but millions upon millions of fossils that when considered as a whole provide evidence in support of the theory of evolution that only someone who was, in the words of Theodosius Dobzhansky, can only "be doubted only by those who are ignorant of the evidence or are resistant to evidence, owing to emotional blocks or to plain bigotry"

I strongly suggest, as Luke has already done, that you go away and learn some science because the question you just asked betrays a frighteningly real ignorance of it.

You mean Paleontology not palaeontology, don’t you?

I do not deny that my ignorance of science is comparable to the ignorance of the Bible all of the atheists here except for Chat Pilot possess, all I require of you is one photograph showing one example of a demonstration of evolution. The evidence.
(December 6, 2008 at 12:53 pm)Daystar Wrote: all I require of you is one photograph showing one example of a demonstration of evolution. The evidence.

[Image: crocoduck.jpg]

lol
That was a joke by the way.
So you'll only accept a photograph as evidence?

Show me:
A photograph of God
A photograph of Noah
A photograph of Jesus
A photograph of Moses

Obviously you didn't mean seriously that you wanted a photograph of evolution. How about a series of transitional fossils?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the atheist delusion(who started it or that notion?) Quill01 2 581 July 25, 2022 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4347 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5754 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 10196 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  My dad is proud of a lie Der/die AtheistIn 17 3567 February 19, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1339 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1412 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The Atheist Delusion Foxaèr 25 4501 October 18, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 9231 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness z7z 80 15391 May 27, 2015 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: snookerman