Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 3:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BILL NYE VS KEN HAM: TONIGHT AT 7 PM
RE: BILL NYE VS KEN HAM: TONIGHT AT 7 PM
Ham is wanting to basically say all interpretations about the past are of equal merit. Since we weren't there, you can say whatever you want about the past. It is "observational" science that is where we can absolutely say what it is true and false. He has no problem supposedly with the findings of "observational" science because it deals with the present which is undeniable. Creationism should be given just as much respect as evolution because it's just another model about the past.

So why select creationism? Ham basically says it's because Jesus somehow worked in is heart so because of that he "knows" Jesus exists and therefore the Bible is true. Since the Jesus exists and because of that the Bible must be true, therefore creationism must be true.

However, what Ham describes is a religious experience. "Observational" science has demonstrated clearly that people's religious experiences are a completely unreliable means of coming to true conclusions about reality. So, "observational" science refutes the very means by which Ham does "historical" science. Is Ham going to be consistent and accept the findings of "observational" science or is he going to reject it just this one time?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Christians seem to love to jump to origins. I guess that's about the only place they can fit Yahweh nowadays. Not that proving the universe had to be divinely created brings you directly to Yahweh, especially since there are older religions with a creator god. Vishnu of Hinduism is one, I believe.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

dont really see many christians posting much here about the debate.. are they embarrassed?? I wont name any names..
You'd think they would, but Ken just didn't seem to do much in the debate. He didn't counter anything with much better than pointing to the bible, or saying that since god obviously set everything in motion, then he's inextricable from the scientific method. I don't think he said anything that people didn't already believe when it came to the question of whether or not creation's model of origins is still relevant.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 5, 2014 at 10:44 pm)truthBtold Wrote: dont really see many christians posting much here about the debate.. are they embarrassed?? I wont name any names..

We only have one active Creationist member to my knowledge (GodsChild).
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Don't forget Waldork.
And Carnavon.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 6, 2014 at 12:30 am)Esquilax Wrote: And Carnavon.

Who?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 6, 2014 at 12:35 am)rasetsu Wrote:
(February 6, 2014 at 12:30 am)Esquilax Wrote: And Carnavon.

Who?

... Yeah, pretty much. Tongue

He's new-ish.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I wouldn't have thought Waldorf was being sincere about it though. Young earth creationism is such an extreme and marginal position. Hell even Pat Robertson is embarrassed by it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you lonesome tonight? Angrboda 23 4668 May 2, 2018 at 3:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Ken Ham is back. Manowar 16 1752 July 10, 2016 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Ken Ham sells lies. Brian37 3 888 March 21, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Bill Nye Big Think, Creationism. 5thHorseman 4 2842 August 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gambit