Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 1:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of Hobby Lobby
RE: SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of Hobby Lobby
(July 2, 2014 at 11:06 am)Rhythm Wrote: I like your solution though. So I guess that means that liberals will go for that?

They will in light of the decision. When this shakes out I suspect you will see something like I suggested.
Wouldn't surprise me, it's a sensible way to nullify a poor ruling. Don't want the courts clogged up with businesses claiming precedent for a little mid year boost to their numbers anyway.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 2, 2014 at 11:10 am)Heywood Wrote: Corporations have more advantages than just liability protection. They can issue stock to raise capital....They hve perpetual existence...etc.
Well those are advantages for the corporation itself, not the individual.

(July 2, 2014 at 11:10 am)Heywood Wrote: Hobby Lobby could have restructed itself as a sole proprietorship and under Obamacare the owners would still need to engage in an activity that violated their religious beliefs. The fact that the business was structured as a corporation has nothing to do with whether or not Obamacare as implemented violates peoples free excercise of religion.

Hypocrisy #1. Hobby Lobby had no issues with these *exact same* birth control medications before the ACA went live.

Hypocrisy #2. Hobby Lobby's retirement plan invests in the very companies that make the birth control medications that they now don't want to cover.

Hypocrisy #3. Hobby Lobby's main supplier is China, the abortion capital of the planet, as well as one of the 20 worst when it comes to child labor abuses. Oh yeah, they also don't allow religious worship.

So how come Hobby Lobby is ok with these costs of doing business? They could easily change mutual funds or get the garbage they sell from India, Pakistan or Indonesia instead of China. Why are you so blind to their hypocrisy & political grandstanding?
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(July 2, 2014 at 11:17 am)Rhythm Wrote: Gotta say though, if we did either give a rebate or allow a per diem then I fail to see what motivation Hobby Lobby (or anyone else) would have had for bringing this to trial anyway - they wouldn't have been able to save a dime, their quarterlies wouldn't have improved. :throws hands in the air:

Employees who don't need contraception or who are savy enough to buy it cheaper without out going thru the insurance middleman will find Hobby Lobby a more attractive place to work.....every month they get this little bonus called the contraception coverage per diem that they can spend on what ever they want. It might allow Hobby Lobby to attract a higher caliber of employee then they would otherwise. It might allow Hobby Lobby to not pay as much to attract the same caliber of employee.
(July 2, 2014 at 11:17 am)Rhythm Wrote: Gotta say though, if we did either give a rebate or allow a per diem then I fail to see what motivation Hobby Lobby (or anyone else) would have had for bringing this to trial anyway - they wouldn't have been able to save a dime, their quarterlies wouldn't have improved. :throws hands in the air:

The Little Sisters are doing this exactly. They will probably get smacked down considering Alito's comments in the ruling.

Still waiting to see a Christian response to my preceding post. Big Grin
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(July 2, 2014 at 11:28 am)Jaysyn Wrote: So how come Hobby Lobby is ok with these costs of doing business? They could easily change mutual funds or get the garbage they sell from India, Pakistan or Indonesia incomes to child labor abuses. Oh yeah, they also don't allow religious worship.
stead of China. Why are you so blind their hypocrisy & political grandstanding?

Hobby Lobby's "hypocrisy" has nothing to do with the constitutionality of that clause of the law.

Now here is one to think about. The Affordable Care Act did not contain a severability clause(it was included in drafts but was taken out of the final version). Since a portion of the law was struck down couldn't an argument be made that the entire law is subsequently struck down?
(July 2, 2014 at 11:43 am)Heywood Wrote: Hobby Lobby's "hypocrisy" has nothing to do with the constitutionality of that clause of the law.

Deflect, deflect, deflect. Oh look, another religious-type who doesn't mind a little hypocrisy as long as it's coming from their side.
(July 2, 2014 at 11:47 am)Jaysyn Wrote:
(July 2, 2014 at 11:43 am)Heywood Wrote: Hobby Lobby's "hypocrisy" has nothing to do with the constitutionality of that clause of the law.

Deflect, deflect, deflect. Oh look, another religious-type who doesn't mind a little hypocrisy as long as it's coming from their side.

Negative Jaysyn

It is you who are deflecting. This thread is about the SCOTUS ruling but now you want to make it about Hobby Lobby's hypocrisy.

For the sake of argument, lets just assume what you claim is true...that Hobby Lobby's owners are hypocrites. What does Hobby Lobby's owners being hypocrites have to do with the validity of the ruling? Absolutely nothing.....so why bother discussing it other than you want to trash the owners of Hobby Lobby?
(July 2, 2014 at 11:54 am)Heywood Wrote: For the sake of argument, lets just assume what you claim is true...that Hobby Lobby's owners are hypocrites. What does Hobby Lobby's owners being hypocrites have to do with the validity of the ruling? Absolutely nothing.....so why bother discussing it other than you want to trash the owners of Hobby Lobby?

Because if they have been doing these things for the past 10 years then they shouldn't have been able to show cause to even bring it to the SCOTUS. There has to have been harm done before the SCOTUS will even see your case. There was no actual harm in this case.

It's a bad ruling & I won't be able to not have just a touch of schadenfreude the 1st time a Muslim business owner uses this ruling to force his workers to wear burkas, stop eating bacon, not shave their beards & fast for Ramadan.

Also, I was asking why you, personally, can't seem to see hypocrisy.
(July 2, 2014 at 11:54 am)Heywood Wrote: For the sake of argument, lets just assume what you claim is true...that Hobby Lobby's owners are hypocrites. What does Hobby Lobby's owners being hypocrites have to do with the validity of the ruling?
Everything, since it was decided upon the basis of the sincerity of their belief, and not it's accuracy. Did you actually read the fucking ruling or the justices comments? Apparently, they sincerely hold this conviction where it costs them money (employee benefits) but not where it makes them money (their investments).

Is it so strange to sggest that an exception to the one precludes ones involvement in the other, legally? Like, if you want to be a non-profit (so as to avoid those taxes)....you can't then, you know...report profits.....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 1060 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Another SCOTUS ruling that is also very scary. Brian37 19 1651 June 27, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
Thumbs Up Must see SCOTUS cases. onlinebiker 24 1292 October 12, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The a holes did it, they seated Amy as SCOTUS Brian37 20 1126 October 27, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Split decision by SCOTUS on Bunkerboy's taxes. Brian37 15 785 July 10, 2020 at 5:41 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  GOP now wants civility in scotus hearing? Brian37 15 1489 September 7, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  SCOTUS Nom made dangerous suggestion. Brian37 33 4019 July 11, 2018 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Federal Judge rules "No fundamental right to literacy" Cecelia 69 8917 July 2, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  BREAKING: SCOTUS Upholds Trump Travel Ban A Theist 18 2743 June 27, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker A Theist 371 49543 June 14, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: robvalue