Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 2:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is unreasonable
RE: Atheism is unreasonable
(November 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm)orogenicman Wrote: What you are doing here is ignoring the years of training and experience it takes to do geology (which, as a geologist, I can tell you is a lot harder than you would have people believe). No one in the business says something is "millions of years" old without first dotting every i and crossing every t. In other words, we do the work needed to verify our results. You simply making a counter claim sans any evidence is simply the rantings of a scoundrel.

You may be able to tell how old something is if you conduct the right experiment...but the fact that the animal lived millions of years ago does not imply that the animal is an evolutionary predecessor of an animal that is alive today.

Non-sequitur.

(November 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm)orogenicman Wrote: A lot of things in this universe are odd. That doesn't make them any less real. I can't see infrared light even though I know that it exists. More people claim to have seen God in History than macroevolution simply because macroevolution hasn't been around that long, there aren't that may people actually working in the field, and because there are a lot of pre-literate people in the world who have been brainwashed into believing in magic sky daddies and have had an inferior education to counter such nonsense.

Less rhetoric, more evidence.

(November 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm)orogenicman Wrote: Yes I can. How? Because that entire paragraph of yours, above, is wrong. We have seen macroevolution in action. It is not "just a theory" as you people like to say.

You've seen reptile-bird changes? When?

(November 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm)orogenicman Wrote: There isn't a paleontologist on the planet who would agree with this lie. Paleontology is exactly like every other branch of science in that if you make any kind of "voodoo interpretations you want", all the other paleontologists out there are going to eat you alive, as I am with your rantings right now.

Paleontologists have their presuppositions, too.

(November 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm)orogenicman Wrote: Yes we can. In fact, we ruled it out over 80 years ago. You should read the memos when they are passed out.

So you scientifically ruled out God? How?

(November 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm)orogenicman Wrote: Evolution is a fact. Life evolves. The theory of evolution explains the fact of evolution. Get over it already.

No you get over it. No one is denying that there is change over time...but there are limits to the changes.

(November 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm)orogenicman Wrote: [Image: microraptorgetty.jpg]

Apology accepted.

So if I showed you a picture of Jesus Christ, I guess that means Christianity is true, huh?

(November 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm)orogenicman Wrote: Strawman.

Not at all.
(November 21, 2014 at 2:24 pm)Esquilax Wrote: The point is, H_M has terrible taste in role models, and he apparently doesn't understand fallacies either.

Precisely. My point was not that Hovind is wrong (though he is, for different reasons), but rather that he's a scumbag, a charlatan, a common con man, with a phony degree from a non-accredited degree mill. I've read the man's "dissertation" - I did better academic work in the 5th grade.

As to the content of his beliefs, well, that's been thoroughly debunked prior by others, and I see no reason to tread that well-worn path again.
(November 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: No you get over it. No one is denying that there is change over time...but there are limits to the changes.

What was it you said earlier? Thinking

Oh, yeah:

Quote:Less rhetoric, more evidence.

Maybe you should start following your own advice. Where's your evidence that there are limits to the changes? What is the mechanism that limits the changes, and how can you demonstrate its existence?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 21, 2014 at 2:24 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Besides, you weren't saying Hovind's position was wrong because he was in prison, just that the fact that he was in prison speaks to his moral character.

Moral character has absolutely nothing to do with the arguments he use against evolution, which I happen to find compelling. I don't give a damn about his moral character, because I wasn't referring someone to his body of work based on his moral character, I was referring someone based on his quantity and quality of work against evolution, you know...what we were discussing.

This is like me telling someone about how great of a President I think Bill Clinton was...and someone jumping into the conversation saying "Ahh, but he also cheated on his wife by getting a blowjob in the White House."

Ok, but what the hell does that have to do with the reasons why I feel he was a great President...nothing.
You find his arguments against the position which you yourself hold to be compelling? How does that work?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Maybe you should start following your own advice. Where's your evidence that there are limits to the changes? What is the mechanism that limits the changes, and how can you demonstrate its existence?

Well I will put it to you this way; I have no reasons to believe that there are any changes beyond what I've (and any person in history) has ever seen or experimented on to conclusively validate what some people already allege to be true.

I, unlike you people, don't need to go beyond that. I don't have an agenda to push..that is probably why.
(November 21, 2014 at 2:43 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: Well I will put it to you this way; I have no reasons to believe that there are any changes beyond what I've (and any person in history) has ever seen or experimented on to conclusively validate what some people already allege to be true.

I, unlike you people, don't need to go beyond that. I don't have an agenda to push..that is probably why.

I will ask you for a third fucking time, based on this quote why do you believe the creation story as it is described in Genesis to explain the origin and diversity of life? If you have no reason to believe something beyond what someone has seen or experimented on then what is your evidence? You have dismissed ours so show us yours.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. "
Which isn't a problem for us HM, neither of us has an issue with speciation so we're both evolutionists. You believe that we were created by some god -and then- evolved. I know that we weren't....-and then- evolved.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 21, 2014 at 2:43 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: Well I will put it to you this way; I have no reasons to believe that there are any changes beyond what I've (and any person in history) has ever seen or experimented on to conclusively validate what some people already allege to be true.

But you do have reasons. They've been presented to you numerous times. You just dismiss them out of hand on the basis that we can't rule out other means. So your "no reason" is that you do have reasons, just not ones you're obligated to agree with, due to your own pre-existing beliefs. So, your reason is that nobody can stop you from baselessly resisting the actual reasons.

But since you mention it, what is my agenda, here? How do I profit from evolution being true? I'm a fiction writer, not a biologist. Where's my stake in this, since you seem so desperate to accuse others of unfairness?

Oh, and also? You did make a positive claim, you do have a burden of proof, and you're not going to be able to skip out on it: genetic changes occur, the ball is rolling downhill. You are asserting that something will stop a process from continuing, when we have no reason to think that it will. You need evidence for that. You can't just cavalierly dismiss that like you do everything else and expect to come out of that okay.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Wait... who's got the agenda here?

Who's the one who came to an atheist forum and started a thread called "Atheism is unreasonable"?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The balance of an unreasonable lifestyle Castle 91 14798 September 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: frankiej