Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 8:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
girlish girls, manly men.
RE: girlish girls, manly men.
alpha male Wrote:No, I have an enlightened view of depression.

It should give you pause that your enlightened picture is so simplistic compared to what science says about the topic.

alpha male Wrote:BTW, I had depression when I was young. I'm still susceptible to it. I did drugs every day for fifteen years. That didn't do my brain chemistry any good. I've learned how to overcome it.

I'm sorry to hear that, and it's great that it's working for you now, but others are not so lucky, and it's decidedly not because they don't have the balls like you or whatever.

Quote:and didn't present it as a silver bullet.

But then what precisely was your point bringing it up? What is the argument you were trying to make?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 18, 2014 at 11:32 am)Alex K Wrote: No, that's not a straw man. A straw man is if I misrepresent your position and then argue against that. Please tell me where I have misrepresented your position and how.
Here:
It also doesn't mean that this is some kind of useful way out of clinical depression in any individual case, irrespective of what WebMD writes. I mean, you are trying to insinuate that these people would not have depression if they adopted your lifestyle.

I'm not making a claim regarding an individual case. You insinuate that I am.
Quote:You are trying to establish a rule that is supposed to work in the majority of cases apart from exceptions, and I'm pointing out that you do it using faulty logic, and therefore you have not presented a valid argument.
Are you seriously unaware of studies on exercise and depression? And you people say I'm ignorant! Yes, in general, exercise, eating right etc. have a positive impact on mood in depressed people.
Quote:I think you are stretching my metaphor a bit too far.
Seems reasonable to me.
Quote: Are you seriously unaware of studies on exercise and depression? And you people say I'm ignorant! Yes, in general, exercise, eating right etc. have a positive impact on mood in depressed people.

Come on, that's an old hat, I am aware of those things. But why did you bring it up, what is its part in your argument concerning your idea about gender roles?

alpha male Wrote:
Alex K Wrote:It also doesn't mean that this is some kind of useful way out of clinical depression in any individual case, irrespective of what WebMD writes.
I'm not making a claim regarding an individual case. You insinuate that I am.

Fair enough, bad wording on my part, I should have said "in the majority of individuals/as a general rule"
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(December 18, 2014 at 11:39 am)Alex K Wrote: It should give you pause that your enlightened picture is so simplistic compared to what science says about the topic.
That's not the case. Real men work out. Science has shown that exercise helps to fight depression. This shouldn't be controversial. Most people on this board for some reason pay lip service to scientifically proven natural methods while worshiping prescription drugs.

Quote:I'm sorry to hear that,
Don't be. I don't regret the past. I move on to the future.
Quote:and it's great that it's working for you now, but others are not so lucky,
It's not about luck.
Quote:and it's decidedly not because they don't have the balls like you or whatever.
So you don't know why they're still suffering, but you're sure that nothing I say can help them. Goit it!

Quote:But then what precisely was your point bringing it up? What is the argument you were trying to make?
As noted, that a fairly mainstream site gives ten natural ways to combat depression, and five of those things are also things a real man would do.
(December 18, 2014 at 11:35 am)alpha male Wrote: BTW, I had depression when I was young. I'm still susceptible to it. I did drugs every day for fifteen years. That didn't do my brain chemistry any good. I've learned how to overcome it.
In a manly way?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I would imagine many xtians have to deal with depression. What is truly depressing is that their shared mindset makes that a noble thing to do. The payoff isn't expected in this life time. Like the troll here the thing to do is shoulder your cross in a manly fashion all the while whistling some xtian hymn.

Okay I'm done feeding the troll. See you all around - except trolly. You stay right here and go on putting on your troll show.
(December 18, 2014 at 11:50 am)alpha male Wrote:
(December 18, 2014 at 11:39 am)Alex K Wrote: It should give you pause that your enlightened picture is so simplistic compared to what science says about the topic.
That's not the case. Real men work out. Science has shown that exercise helps to fight depression. This shouldn't be controversial. Most people on this board for some reason pay lip service to scientifically proven natural methods while worshiping prescription drugs.
It may help in some cases, sure.
Quote:
Quote:I'm sorry to hear that,
Don't be. I don't regret the past. I move on to the future.
Quote:and it's great that it's working for you now, but others are not so lucky,
It's not about luck.
Oh, but it is. Some obviously get hit harder than you and can't find their way out of it just with some lifestyle changes, and might get hit so hard that they don't find the strength in themselves to make them.
Quote:
Quote:and it's decidedly not because they don't have the balls like you or whatever.
So you don't know why they're still suffering, but you're sure that nothing I say can help them. Goit it!
No, I'm not saying that. Especially if you've overcome some form of depression, you may have valuable insights to give. It's just that it is known that there are cases of depression where lifestyle changes do not solve the problem.
Quote:
Quote:But then what precisely was your point bringing it up? What is the argument you were trying to make?
As noted, that a fairly mainstream site gives ten natural ways to combat depression, and five of those things are also things a real man would do.

Ok, noted. But that's just an observation, what are you trying to tell us with this information. The real issue here is that you are trying to tie your health advice to completely problematic ideas about relationships and gender, and you better have a good argument why that baggage should be part of the deal. In fact, you brought the whole depression thing in as a validation that your ideas about relationships are correct, because some of the people who argue against you are depressed. That's an absolute non sequitur.

I don't think anyone here is arguing against your (a bit bromideish) insight that if you're depressed, you should at least try those things such as exercise, etc.

(December 18, 2014 at 11:55 am)whateverist Wrote: I would imagine many xtians have to deal with depression. What is truly depressing is that their shared mindset makes that a noble thing to do. The payoff isn't expected in this life time. Like the troll here the thing to do is shoulder your cross in a manly fashion all the while whistling some xtian hymn.
Except...I overcame it in this lifetime.
So with an ego this big, what do you need God for? Hope it will fit through that eye of the needle they talk about.
(December 18, 2014 at 12:24 pm)whateverist Wrote: So with an ego this big, what do you need God for?

My guess would be that he gets his philosophical input from Mars Hill.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Marriage-Trut...B009F7QZHG

http://www.amazon.com/Reforming-Male-Sex...B009EGB000

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The prevalence of HIV among gay men darnwelling 30 1956 January 11, 2023 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: darnwelling
  A question for the straight men Catholic_Lady 87 12976 January 11, 2023 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Little green men just got real. ignoramus 87 7544 July 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The army is one of the best examples of gender inequality towards MEN Macoleco 64 5576 February 18, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Real Men onlinebiker 111 5824 January 28, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  International Women and girls in Science Day! Divinity 9 987 February 11, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Who says drunk girls in a club aren't fun brewer 30 5354 November 6, 2018 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Men who don't flush public toilets Alexmahone 32 3243 April 25, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  men and women with tattoos, hot or not? orthodox-man 110 21536 April 24, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question for the heterosexual men of AF Catholic_Lady 242 27914 April 18, 2018 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady