Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 3:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(western) classical music discussion
RE: (western) classical music discussion
it is pieced together from different sections of the bible. 

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/jeansptx/messiahh.htm

Of course it makes no fucking sense.
(April 5, 2015 at 5:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote: it is pieced together from different sections of the bible. 

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/jeansptx/messiahh.htm

Of course it makes no fucking sense.

What's the color code?
The parts of the text that made it into the libretto.
Ah that makes sense. Or not, as it were
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Glorious music...which is all that matters.

It's like this:

[Image: Trip07206.jpg]

The interior of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul which I took in 2007.  You don't have to buy the bullshit to appreciate the architecture.
(March 26, 2015 at 1:19 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: I am convinced that you will come around, if you hear the right recordings, and give them a chance.

Ok, so... Mozart...

Since I'm not a big Opera fan, with some Wagner and Händel being the exception, I skipped Don Giovanni and first went for the Horn concertos. Nice, but again I have this Mozart effect where I so often think I'm hearing the same appoggiaturas and phrases over and over again. And sure, I threw it in my car radio and it was nice, but to just sit there and listen? I don't know. Same goes for most of the piano sonatas.

Then, the piano quartets. Now we're getting somewhere

The piano quartets automatically win because they have such a nice dynamic. I also stumbled across this and really like it.

Quote:
Alex K, to help convince you of my taste, I recommend you buy:

http://www.amazon.de/Brandenburg-Con-1-6...B000002AQ4

There are many recordings of the Brandenburgs, but none that I have heard come close to this one.  Since you already have a great love of Bach, this recording should convince you that I am not just some savage trying to mislead you about what is great.  Listen to it a few times, both as the focus of your attention, and also while you do something else (like posting online).  If you do not love it, I will not know what to say to you.

I bought it and I love it. No seriously, I've listened to it 10 times over the past few days, headbanging to the epic riffs in #3 first movement. I don't know what the hell the flute is doing from 3:58 on in #5 first movement, but what the hell Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

For some reason I far prefer Mozart's String quintets to his quartets.

This is magnificent...and in a minor key which is where Mozart does some great work.

Thanks for the tip. Any recording you would recommend?

I've also bought a recording of the Partitas by a young Russian-German shooting star I. Levit, who does them in a quite expressive fashion (within the limits). Unfortunately it's not on YT. This version is also very nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELShZDVjoFw

My personal pick for the string quintets is the Arthur Grumiaux string trio. When I first decided to get serious about Mozart, this was the recording I selected.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(April 9, 2015 at 4:53 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(March 26, 2015 at 1:19 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: I am convinced that you will come around, if you hear the right recordings, and give them a chance.

Quote:Alex K, to help convince you of my taste, I recommend you buy:

http://www.amazon.de/Brandenburg-Con-1-6...B000002AQ4

There are many recordings of the Brandenburgs, but none that I have heard come close to this one.  Since you already have a great love of Bach, this recording should convince you that I am not just some savage trying to mislead you about what is great.  Listen to it a few times, both as the focus of your attention, and also while you do something else (like posting online).  If you do not love it, I will not know what to say to you.

I bought it and I love it. No seriously, I've listened to it 10 times over the past few days, headbanging to the epic riffs in #3 first movement. I don't know what the hell the flute is doing from 3:58 on in #5 first movement, but what the hell Big Grin

I am glad you tried it and that you the good taste to love it!  Jeanne Lamon also did the best Handel's Water Music that I have ever heard, and I have a couple of other recordings that are superb and more than good enough.  But Lamon is better.  In fact, I have never heard a recording conducted by her that I did not prefer to every other recording I have ever heard of the same piece of music.  I think she can do no wrong as a conductor.

I am looking forward to what you will say about the Requiem that I recommended.  Hopefully, after I see your thoughts on that, we will remain on speaking terms.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 660 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 2896 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 422 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6841 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 3790 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 262 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1298 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 602 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Never a flash in the pan. MUSIC. Brian37 19 1695 December 7, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: no one
  Music videos that rep the POTUS'S idiocy. Brian37 9 1763 October 22, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah