Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 1:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Supreme Court Same Sex Marriage Argumet
RE: Supreme Court Same Sex Marriage Argumet
Thanks Anima Smile I can't wait to see what happens.

Nah it's OK Ace, I'd done it all to death anyway. I'd only be repeating myself. I feel like I've married every bloke in the world during this thread.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Oh, gosh, what the hell are we doing?

Gay marriage is perfectly legal and the only thing preventing it is the religious opposition to it.

In all actuality and legality, there is no reason that it should not be legalized.

Why are we continuing this farce for the sake of the word salad master?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 16, 2015 at 1:03 am)Kitan Wrote: Oh, gosh, what the hell are we doing?

Gay marriage is perfectly legal and the only thing preventing it is the religious opposition to it.  

In all actuality and legality, there is no reason that it should not be legalized.

I really was not sure how to respond to this comment. I did say according to legal principles (which would mean legal terms and definitions would follow). To consider the proper legal terminology "word salad" leads me to believe that since you do not know the proper terms and definitions you are saying I am purposefully convoluting the information and are doubling down on what you believe in spite of what the rules and facts are saying.
https://youtu.be/DmYkt2RkhsI?t=24s

Now you say in all actuality and legality there is no reason it should not be legalized. Would you be so kind as to back up your assertion with legal support and precedence?
Photo 
(June 16, 2015 at 1:03 am)Kitan Wrote: Oh, gosh, what the hell are we doing?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking I have been thinking on how to replay to your post. I can see what you are saying however, there is also some fallacy in your statement.

Gay marriage is perfectly legal. . . .

The thing is that Gay marriage is not perfectly legal in our country and thought the world, hence why the  court case that is being argued at the supreme Court . Also, in the states of  Arkansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Texas same sex marriage is illegal.

Contrary to popular belief before 2010 same sex marriage was illegal throughout the United States, (except Hawaii) and internationally, (except the Netherlands). The current states that self acted to have same sex marriage, a law had to be added by the states legislator in order for same sex couples to marry.
http://gaymarriage.procon.org/view.resou...eID=004857

Thing preventing it is the religious opposition to it.. . .

At times religion may seem that this is the cause when trying to create an us vs. them mentality but, do not forget that opposition to something dose not equal religious afflation.  In fact such a statement is a major over-simplification and can be even bigoted to say that religion is the only caucus to opposition of the issue.  Thus, fully agreement can not be made with you. If we were to look at religion as being the only issue, the facts are against your stalemate.

1. Catholic Dominate Countries that have/acknowledge same sex marriage.

Argentina -(birth place of the current Pope) 76.5%
Brazil   -  63% catholic
Franc  - 64% Catholic
Portugal    - 81% ''     ''
Spain  - - -   69% '' ''
Ireland  - - -   83% '' ''
Mexico - - - 81% '' ''

2. Jewish Nation

Israel  - - -  75.4% Jews

3. Muslim Dominate Countries were homosexuality is legal. . .
Mali
Jordan
Indonesia  (the country has the longest running LGBT organizations in Asia)
Turkey
Albania  
http://islamandhomosexuality.com/5-musli...y-legal-2/

Of the religious organizations in the United States that are for same sex and have conducted gay marriages..  http://www.pewresearch.org/files/2014/06...rchSSM.png

Presbyterian Church (USA)
Conservative Jewish Movement
Reform Jewish Movement
Society of Friends (Quaker)
Unitarian Universality Association of Church
United Church of Christ
Evangelical Lutheran Church
Episcopal Church

there is no reason that it should not be legalized . . .

To say that there is no reason is just willful ignorance and plane gullibility. I am sure if one were to truly stop and think of the issue, a  some reason can be found. Hell, there is an opposing reason why someone should not eat, run, shake a persons hand, have sex, and so on.
......................computer says no?  Tongue
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
5 humans versus 4 bigots equals wins all round!

Let me know when the child/horse marriages start appearing out of thin air like some metaphysical domino rally Tongue
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(June 22, 2015 at 12:56 pm)Ace Wrote: Contrary to popular belief before 2010 same sex marriage was illegal throughout the United States, (except Hawaii)
I think you need to check your facts. My state (Massachusetts) legalized gay marriage waaaay back in 2003. Hawaii didn't have gay marriage before 2010 either; they legalized it in 2013. In addition, several states had legalized gay marriage prior to 2010 (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_m..._v._Hodges).
(June 26, 2015 at 1:12 pm)robvalue Wrote: 5 humans versus 4 bigots equals wins all round!

Let me know when the child/horse marriages start appearing out of thin air like some metaphysical domino rally Tongue

Oh goody.  I do really, really like my dogs.  Finally!
(June 26, 2015 at 1:12 pm)robvalue Wrote: 5 humans versus 4 bigots equals wins all round!

Your statement of 4 bigots is evidence of your bigotry and ignorance. Those 4 bigots are the only ones who adhered to the law.

(Opinion of the Supreme Court)
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14p...6_3204.pdf

After reading the majority opinion and dissents, I have to say Chief Justice John Roberts is correct. The majority opinion has no basis in law and will likely be overturned soon. To try and simplify the majority opinion is as follows:

P1. The law confers dignity and security by means of legal recognition of X.
P2. People engaged in X have a Constitutional right to dignity and security.
C1. People engaged in X have a Constitutional right to dignity and security by means of legal recognition of X.

Now we start inserting for X in C1 above:
X = Same Sex Relationships C1 => Legal Recognition of Same sex relationships.
X = Polygamous Relationships (case pending Brown v. Buhman) C1 => Legal recognition of polygamous relationships
X = Consensual Incest Relationship C1 => Legal recognition of consensual incest relationships.
X = Adult child relationship C1 => Legal recognition of adult child relationships.

So far so good right? But as stated before X is not solely limited to those cases and now serves as precedence for any situation in which withholding legal recognition denies a person dignity and security (once again insert X into C1 above):

X = Prostitution (act between consenting adults) C1 => Legal recognition of prostitution.
X = Necrophilia (legally not hurting anyone) C1 => Legal recognition of necrophilia.
X = Beastiality (legally not hurting anyone) C1 => Legal recognition of beastiality.

To name a few.

As stated by Chief Justice John Roberts, "There is, after all, no “Companionship and Understanding” or “Nobility and Dignity” Clause in the Constitution."

In determining a substantive fundamental right the court is to apply a two fold test as determined in Washington V. Glucksberg:
1. Is the right objectively, deeply rooted in the Nation's history and tradition as to be considered fundamental?
2. Is the right implicit in the concept of ordered liberty, such that neither liberty or justice would exist if sacrificed?

As stated by Chief Justice John Roberts:

"The opinion describe the “transcendent importance” of marriage and repeatedly insists that petitioners do not seek to “demean,” “devalue,” “denigrate,” or “disrespect” the institution... As a matter of constitutional law, however, the sincerity of petitioners’ wishes is not relevant...

When the majority turns to the law, it relies primarily on precedents discussing the fundamental “right to marry.” These cases do not hold, of course, that anyone who wants to get married has a constitutional right to do so... None of the laws at issue in those cases purported to change the core definition of marriage as the union of a man and a woman... As the majority admits, the institution of “marriage” discussed in
every one of these cases “presumed a relationship involving opposite-sex partners.”

In short, the “right to marry” cases stand for the important but limited proposition that particular restrictions on access to marriage as traditionally defined violate due process. These precedents say nothing at all about a right to make a State change its definition of marriage, which is the right petitioners actually seek here. Neither petitioners nor the majority cites a single case or other legal source providing any basis for such a constitutional right. None exists, and that is enough to foreclose their claim."
Your expression of bigotry against me calling them bigots is clearly bigoted.

Your turn Tongue

Are you still going to argue about this after the supreme court has ruled? You know more than them?

You think this will likely be overturned soon, are you kidding?

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade Cecelia 234 19084 June 7, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Same guy? onlinebiker 10 765 May 27, 2022 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Madison Cawthorn Sex Tape Released Divinity 26 4502 May 6, 2022 at 4:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 2684 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Court Ordered Quarantine brewer 2 480 October 24, 2019 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Supreme Court Considers Mandatory Govt Funding of Religious Education EgoDeath 8 835 September 24, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Fed Court, "hand over 8yrs of your finances" Brian37 15 1155 May 22, 2019 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Corruption is the same worldwide..... Brian37 4 650 December 2, 2018 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hitler Had The Same Problem Minimalist 4 688 November 26, 2018 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Court of Appeals Tells Alabama Shitheads to "Fuck Off!" Minimalist 6 1197 August 23, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Minimalist