Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 1:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
All Hail the Second Amendment
RE: All Hail the Second Amendment
(June 15, 2016 at 4:12 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I'm sorry, but I don't see why it's even related to your point, honestly.  I -already- break laws, it doesn't mean I have less respect or honor for the constitution, or that my respect or honor is limited to those things which align with what I decide to do with  my own personal life.

Fearing gunners fuck man, no...I'm telling you that a gun ban is what some gun owners, themselves, fear. lol.  It would be an irrational fear, except that equally irrational people have equally irrational fantasies feeding into that fear.

Okay, then, gotcha. Given that you break the laws can I assume they aren't sacred and inviolable to you? I ask as contrast to the gunners who say the 2A is sacred and should never, ever, be touched, even by the people the Constitution allows to change it when they see the need, that being the American people.
(June 15, 2016 at 4:23 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote: Okay, then, gotcha. Given that you break the laws can I assume they aren't sacred and inviolable to you?
You could assume that...but it would be a mistake.  Inviolability is an ideal, not a practical reality.  I do hold the law to be inviolable -without potential for consequence-.   If I go to jail for for some illegal thing I've done, I understand why and I accept that I'd be going to jail for it.  Even if I didn't think I should be going to jail for it.  As I said, I'd be a criminal, it would blow...but that's the way it is.  Not the normal kind of criminal mind you, who's done something shitty to someone...just the kind that has something other people think he shouldn't.

No, no, wait yeah, I'd be the normal kind of criminal, the ones our prisons are filled to bursting with.  Perpetrators of nonviolent, victimless offenses.

-and still i respect our institution of law....I mean cmon, trying to draw those two together in my case is going to be like banging your head against a brick wall. Give me a flag and a gun, I'll march for you if you like. I really don't know what I'd have to say to help you understand that people who respect and honor things still break laws. A gun ban is not our constitution in the first place, so I don't even see the relevance.

Quote:I ask as contrast to the gunners who say the 2A is sacred and should never, ever, be touched, even by the people the Constitution allows to change it when they see the need, that being the American people.

If we erased it, I mean literally erased it and any knowledge of it.  That still wouldn't get rid of my claim on my guns, as I've already mentioned - the 9th.  In fact I think we could, effectively, remove the second.  I don't know why we would, but meh. In any case, I think that many people feel that the constitution (and government in the general) is in the business, or should be in the business... of protecting rights, not removing them.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
But gunners swear it's inviolable. That's my point. They LOVE THE 2A!!!! But only so long as it's useful to their toy collection.
Yeah, we generally see the constitution as an inviolable document.......insomuch as any document can be.  What's the point of a constitution otherwise, again?

Look, this shit really has to stop. Gun rights advocates and gun control advocates have a great many misconceptions about each other. Some of them are fucking baffling.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 15, 2016 at 5:24 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Yeah, we generally see the constitution as an inviolable document.......insomuch as any document can be.  What's the point of a constitution otherwise, again? 

The writers built in the mechanism to change it. Jefferson said it should be rewritten every twenty years to fit the times.
Many of us will consider each revision inviolable.  That's why we have a process for changing it in the first place, so we don't have to violate it just to act in accordance with our common principles. So that it can reflect them, even as they change. The second amendment is seen as particularly strong, by gun rights advocates, in that it's one of a small handful of rights explicitly laid out in a document that says, in effect..."we have all the rights..even the rights not listed here." Even if guns weren;t explicit in the second we'd still have the right to them, or at least a claim to it...but it -is- mentioned. The constitution definitely -doesn't- mention any trans bathroom preference and use rights...and yet the case seems pretty solid. The case is even less difficult to make with guns.
(June 15, 2016 at 9:10 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Many of us will consider each revision inviolable.  That's why we have a process for changing it in the first place, so we don't have to violate it just to act in accordance with our common principles.  So that it can reflect them, even as they change.   
That made no sense.
Go get another donut, Christie.  Leave the thinking to those who can handle it.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/new-jers...trictions/

Quote:New Jersey lawmakers block Christie plan to loosen handgun restrictions

Quote:State lawmakers on Thursday gave final approval to a resolution to block changes Gov. Chris Christie's administration unveiled to make it easier for New Jersey residents to obtain permits to carry handguns.

Apparently the only thing that Christie learned from Drumpf was to sell out to the fucking NRA.
(June 15, 2016 at 9:39 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote:
(June 15, 2016 at 9:10 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Many of us will consider each revision inviolable.  That's why we have a process for changing it in the first place, so we don't have to violate it just to act in accordance with our common principles.  So that it can reflect them, even as they change.   
That made no sense.

.................?

What do you think we're doing making all those amendments? Is one version of the constitution supposed to be more or less inviolable than the next? I'm simply explaining to you that I don't think so. It's the supreme law of the land, whatever it might say at a given time, right?
Batshit crazy gun nuts go right off the deep end.

Palin and Drumpf-class assholes.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/orlando-...ged-event/

Quote:Orlando shooting survivor harassed by online conspiracy kooks as a ‘crisis actor’ in a staged event

Quote:A survivor of the Orlando mass shooting that took 49 lives last Sunday is having to fend off online conspiracy theorists who claim she was a “crisis actor” in a staged event, Philly.com is reporting.
Patience Carter, who was shot in the leg by Omar Mateen in Pulse nightclub, has previously spoken of the night of terror, describing how the gunman said he was sparing black people because they had “suffered enough.”
Discovering that Carter is an intern at Fox 29 in Philadelphia, conspiracy theorists have latched onto her — accusing her of being a fraud who was paid to be part of a staged event to bring about gun confiscation.

Any human as stupid as this should not be allowed any where near a gun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1773 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2279 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 72663 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paul Ryan (must watch) 39 second vid Manowar 2 1159 March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  America Divided: Second Civil War Coming? Secular Elf 81 13066 February 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1983 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's 2nd amendment call to arms not a criminal offense? Whateverist 17 3135 August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4387 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Fuckhead Judge Faces Second Ouster AFTT47 3 1178 May 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  All Hail The Free Market Minimalist 7 2408 September 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist