Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 9:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
All Hail the Second Amendment
Re: RE: All Hail the Second Amendment
(March 27, 2014 at 12:59 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: but handguns and shotguns seem much more effective in these instances.

Why?
RE: All Hail the Second Amendment
(March 27, 2014 at 12:59 pm)Bad Writer Wrote:
(March 27, 2014 at 12:47 pm)KUSA Wrote: The question I guess is do you support the ban of all semi auto rifles?

That's what I'm trying to process. I am definitely not convinced that semi-autos are necessary for civilian home ownership. The discussion has progressed into defining the difference between military weapons, semi-autos, and assault rifles, which seems to be a distractor from trying to figure this out.

I know it might sound strange, but my experience in the Air Force is actually one of the main reasons I'm not sure that rifles of much use in a person's home. I agree with stand your ground laws and castle laws, but handguns and shotguns seem much more effective in these instances.

I'm also a fan of concealed carry, as a law abiding citizen can surreptitiously get the drop on a trouble maker.

My rifles are stored in a safe in my home. I don't fire them in my home. Big Grin

A rifle would not be my first choice of weapon in a confined area, but a carbine length AR with a collapsible stock might be a good choice.

However, let's say I need to engage multiple targets outside my house, a semi-auto rifle would be my first choice.

However, a semi-automatic rifle is appropriate for hunting. The first shot may miss or only wound the animal and a quick follow-up shot is necessary on game animals.

Here is a semi-automatic hunting rifle.
[Image: 9480999_1.jpg?v=8CCC0BFD6A9B510]
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
This thread:

1. What I thought it was: some fucking gun nut on the internet saying, "OMFG ALL HAIL THE SECOND AMENDMENT!"
2. What it was: Min being FUCKING HILARIOUS.
3. Me right now: OMG THIS THREAD DOESN'T COMPLETELY SUCK, THIS THREAD IS COMPLETELY FUCKING HILARIOUS!
4. YES!

LOL!
(March 27, 2014 at 1:25 pm)KUSA Wrote:
(March 27, 2014 at 12:59 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: but handguns and shotguns seem much more effective in these instances.

Why?

Chas pretty much summed it up for us.

So for people living in small houses or apartment complexes, would there be a need for rifles of any kind?

Also, when there are bans on certain types of weaponry, I'm all for grandfather clauses. I'm guessing the implementation of a registry would be the antithesis of that, right?
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(March 27, 2014 at 3:00 pm)Bad Writer Wrote:
(March 27, 2014 at 1:25 pm)KUSA Wrote: Why?

Chas pretty much summed it up for us.

So for people living in small houses or apartment complexes, would there be a need for rifles of any kind?

Also, when there are bans on certain types of weaponry, I'm all for grandfather clauses. I'm guessing the implementation of a registry would be the antithesis of that, right?

Actually, an AR-15 SBR loaded with <=55g varmint rounds would be perfect for people living in apartment complexes. Light .223 loads fragment, which prevents over-penetration.
(March 27, 2014 at 3:16 pm)Gish Wrote:
(March 27, 2014 at 3:00 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: Chas pretty much summed it up for us.

Actually, an AR-15 SBR loaded with <=55g varmint rounds would be perfect for people living in apartment complexes. Light .223 loads fragment, which prevents over-penetration.

Indoors I use the 60 grain Hornady Vmax that I handload.

Now for outside I handload some 77 grain Sierra Matchkings in front of 24.3 grains of Ramshot TAC. Basically it's a MK262 clone.
Hey, you know what? All girls carrying guns are incredibly sexy. Moving on now.

Hmm... pretty sure I made this post just for Losty. Big Grin To Losty, from me: Heart
(March 27, 2014 at 4:34 pm)My imaginary friend is GOD Wrote: Hey, you know what? All girls carrying guns are incredibly sexy. Moving on now.

Hmm... pretty sure I made this post just for Losty. :D To Losty, from me: :heart:

It gives me a boner every time.
[Image: ruhe8aqy.jpg]
(March 27, 2014 at 3:16 pm)Gish Wrote:
(March 27, 2014 at 3:00 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: Chas pretty much summed it up for us.

Actually, an AR-15 SBR loaded with <=55g varmint rounds would be perfect for people living in apartment complexes. Light .223 bullets fragment, which prevents over-penetration.

Shit, I accidentally double-posted when I tried to edit my post. Can this be removed?
(March 27, 2014 at 3:00 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: So for people living in small houses or apartment complexes, would there be a need for rifles of any kind?
A varmint round out of a rifle in 5.56/.223 is going to penetrate less than a lot of handgun rounds or a shotgun with buckshot.

Also the hand gun is so hard for most people to shoot accurately. I have competed in quite a few tactical competitions and the skill level with a hand gun even among my peers is lacking. A lot of folks just miss the target altogether. I have taught many people how to properly shoot a handgun and it is a challenge to get them proficient. I literally know people that can't hit crap past 7 yards. I suppose that matters little in a small room but these same people can shoot lights out with an AR. I like precision shots.

Now don't get me wrong I do like handguns. I am an expert with them and that's not a boastful opinion of mine it is a fact. The thing I like most about handguns are they fit in my pocket better than a long gun.

The shotgun has nothing precision about it. I'd hate to have a shotgun in a hostage situation. Actually I don't even own a shotgun. I have shot plenty of them and they just don't impress me. Sure they have undeniable power but it's a bit too indiscriminate for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1773 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2279 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 72658 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paul Ryan (must watch) 39 second vid Manowar 2 1159 March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  America Divided: Second Civil War Coming? Secular Elf 81 13058 February 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1983 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's 2nd amendment call to arms not a criminal offense? Whateverist 17 3135 August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4387 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Fuckhead Judge Faces Second Ouster AFTT47 3 1178 May 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  All Hail The Free Market Minimalist 7 2408 September 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist