Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 8:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
All Hail the Second Amendment
RE: All Hail the Second Amendment
I fully understand and appreciate your point in this thread, but breaking the rules is not a satisfactory reason to ban guns. Under the same scenario, automobiles should be banned because people are too stupid not to text while driving, fall asleep at the wheel, drive while drunk, stop at red lights and stop signs, stc..

The real shame of it all is that they perpetrators are usually the ones that survive.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Aside from the fact that cars provide a far more needed function to society than guns and that, alone among industrialized nations the carnage from gun play in the US is unconscionable I tend to agree with you.  Drivers must pass a test, have their eye-sight checked, carry insurance for misdeeds, be subject to revocation of that license for infractions even if they don't kill someone.  We register cars.  The gun nuts fight gun registration like it is some unheard of expansion of government power.

The point of this thread is that trained or not, law-abiding or not, careful or not, has little to do with it.  Shit happens.  Shit happens because people are careless and easily distracted.   And when shit happens with a gun in your hand bad things can, and frequently do, happen.
Some good news for a change.  Supreme Court invites the NRA to go fuck itself.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/supreme-...egulation/

Quote:Supreme Court rejects NRA’s challenge to San Francisco gun regulation
Another asshole with a gun.

http://magicvalley.com/news/local/man-ac...e1903.html

Quote:Martin told paramedics he failed to unload the weapon before taking it apart and dropped it onto the floor while cleaning it, causing it to discharge.
It is very disturbing, how stupid so many people are who have guns. When I was a child, and first learned a bit about guns, I would not have made the mistake this idiot made.

On the plus side, the moron shot himself, instead of someone else, so we should all be happy about that.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Gun rules are simple:
  1. ALL guns are loaded
  2. ALL safeties are broken or non-existent
  3. ALL triggers are faulty
  4. If you do not believe or care to follow 1, 2 or 3, give the fucking thing back.
I do not understand how that is so difficult, even for kids, as long as they are given the rules.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Do we REALLY need to put 'careful, potentially lethal weapon' on firearms?

I mean dude, it's a fucking gun. Try not to....I don't know....drop it -_-
(June 9, 2015 at 9:11 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: It is very disturbing, how stupid so many people are who have guns.  When I was a child, and first learned a bit about guns, I would not have made the mistake this idiot made.

On the plus side, the moron shot himself, instead of someone else, so we should all be happy about that.

Pure accident.  The bullet could have gone anywhere.  In fact, the only cases we ever hear about are the ones where someone gets hit.  How many more times does it happen?

Quote:I do not understand how that is so difficult, even for kids, as long as they are given the rules.

You are forgetting that a lot of people are fucking stupid.

Quote:Do we REALLY need to put 'careful, potentially lethal weapon' on firearms?

And could they read it if you did?
(June 10, 2015 at 1:33 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(June 9, 2015 at 9:11 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: It is very disturbing, how stupid so many people are who have guns.  When I was a child, and first learned a bit about guns, I would not have made the mistake this idiot made.

Pure accident.  The bullet could have gone anywhere.  In fact, the only cases we ever hear about are the ones where someone gets hit.  How many more times does it happen?

Yes, it is a pure accident. I am just saying that, in this instance, it is a happy accident. It is better when idiots with guns shoot themselves rather than others. Of course, it is only happy accidents, not intentional. But it is still a better outcome.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/292806...igh-school

Quote:A shooting so tragic it has the Shelby County Sheriff's deputies shaken. A four-year-old boy is dead after he got a hold of his dad's gun and accidentally shot himself.

Another fine, upstanding L-ARGO who made that one little mistake.

Quote:“The father, he usually keeps the gun locked up, but I think in this instance it was left out, but I think it was in a place where a child couldn't necessarily get it,” SCSO public information officer Chip Washington said.

Apparently not, Chip.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1760 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2276 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 72541 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paul Ryan (must watch) 39 second vid Manowar 2 1159 March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  America Divided: Second Civil War Coming? Secular Elf 81 12947 February 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1983 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's 2nd amendment call to arms not a criminal offense? Whateverist 17 3129 August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4387 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Fuckhead Judge Faces Second Ouster AFTT47 3 1177 May 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  All Hail The Free Market Minimalist 7 2405 September 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist