Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 11:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Faith is a measure of irrationality
RE: Faith is a measure of irrationality
(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: Then why comment on them?

Because you brought them up as a distraction. You still have yet to explain what faith actually does and how it actually works.

(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: Do you really care?

I care enough to ask the question, your so far refusal to answer is telling.

(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: Do you want examples of faith? Or faith in God?

No, like I said before, I want examples of faith working, whatever that means. So i'm guessing all faith does for you is cause miracles, or as i would say, it causes you to see miracles.

(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: The ignorance is on your part, not mine.

You don't know what the argument from ignorance logical fallacy is, do you?
You said it was a miracle because it was un explainable. That is an argument from ignorance. You don't get to insert your god because we don't know the answer. The correct answer when you don't know the answer is always: We don't know.

(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: So, you've made my point. There is no reason to tell you about Faith.

I'm not following you, you just don't want to describe examples of faith working because you think i'll just reject the immediately?

(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: No. I believe it was a VAD, which is only used for operations, not emergencies.

So this VAD.....I'm assuming it didn't appear out of thin air infront of your eyes. See, that is much more worthy of being deemed a miracle than it just being found in a cuboard somewhere just in time.

(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: But it's useless, and painful to explain anything to you.

Maybe if you actually did any explaining, you might find it easier.

(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: Rythmn... I hope you are seeing why I didn't want to relate any of my experiences here. There is/was no reason.

Mommy mommy! The big bad atheist doesn't believe me! Waaahhhh wahhhhh

(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: Again doctor... it wasn't a defrib machine needed.

I don't normally pray for a bunch of overpaid assholes tossing balls around.

And I would've prayed for my mom to NOT have a heart attack "IF" I knew she was going to have one!

Nice deflection again. But you didn't answer. What else is a miracle then? If your standard for miracles is so low, that a life-saving piece of medical equipment was found just in time to save your mother, what else do you see as a miracle? Can you give me examples?

(June 29, 2014 at 1:19 am)ronedee Wrote: Thanks again for all your great responses to my mothers care and well being.

Is that sarcasm I detect?

I'm gunna stop you right there and say I don't care about you or your mother. I have never met you or your mother or anyone who knows you. If I cared about everyone despite not ever meeting them, I would end up blowing my brains out. You may see this as another example of the 'evil atheists' and their despicable ways, but it is exactly the same thing when you see starving kids on the TV. You don't know them, they are a world away, and you don't care.

(June 29, 2014 at 1:40 am)ronedee Wrote: There was no vaporization, or cloud or smoke and thunder! The ER doctor who had said the machine that she needed was on loan, walked up to my family, and said :"the machine is in her room." and assumed, somehow it got back to the hospital and wasn't recorded as such in their inventory log. And also someone put it there who knew she needed it.

That is not a bloody miracle! See the way things work usually with people who believe in miracles is that when an event can't be explained they then call it a miracle. Its a logical fallacy but they still do it. But you, you've taken it to the next level. You are actually ignoring any other possible explanations and jumping straight to miracle. Someone just put the machine in your mothers room! That was it, whether by accident or on purpose, is irrelevant. And it wasn't recorded in the inventory log because the receptionist 'Dave' was too distracted that day to notice it arrival because his golden retriever 'Lucky' had been exhibiting strange behaviours over the past few days and Dave was worried about his health.
See, even that is a better explanation than divine intervention.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(June 29, 2014 at 1:30 am)ronedee Wrote:
(June 29, 2014 at 1:27 am)Irrational Wrote: I see him in nothing because I don't assume by default a being which I have yet to see any evidence for.
"yet"
Some variation of "you'll learn the truth, eventually" has been part of the theist's toolbox for as long as there have been theists, is my guess. It sounds suspiciously like "I'll prove it to you... some other time."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Which God are you seeing? http://www.graveyardofthegods.org/deadgo...fgods.html

A good question. Not all the deities on that list are dead because of various Neo Pagan religions. Here are just a few examples.

The Greeks Who Worship The Ancient Gods

Asatru - Norse Heathenism

Kemeticism - Contemporary Revival Of Ancient Egyptian Relgion

Celtic Neopaganism

People who believe in pagan deities think that these deities answer prayers etc.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(June 29, 2014 at 6:46 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: That is not a bloody miracle! See the way things work usually with people who believe in miracles is that when an event can't be explained they then call it a miracle. Its a logical fallacy but they still do it. But you, you've taken it to the next level. You are actually ignoring any other possible explanations and jumping straight to miracle. Someone just put the machine in your mothers room! That was it, whether by accident or on purpose, is irrelevant. And it wasn't recorded in the inventory log because the receptionist 'Dave' was too distracted that day to notice it arrival because his golden retriever 'Lucky' had been exhibiting strange behaviours over the past few days and Dave was worried about his health.
See, even that is a better explanation than divine intervention.

See... there is no point in telling you anything. You have your mind made up before I say a word.

The problem is, I see both sides of the argument. You don't.

I made your case for you just to show you that I'm not the zombie you think I am! I'm well aware of "all" the possibilities, w/o need to ridicule you or your family, or "your experiences".

The example I gave you is one (the most important one to me) of many, many. Probably, every one of them could be explained by you. But, when they happened over and over again.... "I" started to wonder. Am I, and my ilk, just lucky... all the time? And, anit it odd that when we pray for people things seem to work out! All the time?!! Very strange indeed!

I'm pretty much in the same boat about not giving 2 shits about you either. But, you'll never see me use one of your innocent family members as fodder for sarcasm. It's just inhuman. Whether you use them to make a point, or otherwise... it's a universal line that shouldn't be crossed.

All that said. When someone experiences something you are not familiar with... How do you make an argument. When YOU weren't there...ever?

Does God need to materialize from a cloud of smoke for you to believe in a miracle.... Or could He just "use" every unique opportunity available in a given situation to save a loved one? I'll take the latter every time!

You are basing your answers on my life experiences with lack of evidence, on your part. That is called "ignorance". I have all the evidence I need: we pray; miracles happen! Spin it up any way you'd like. But, you haven't seen anything. And ironically, you never will. At least not in this life.
Quis ut Deus?
(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: See... there is no point in telling you anything. You have your mind made up before I say a word.

Incorrect, I made up my mind after you said many many words.

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: The problem is, I see both sides of the argument. You don't.

I highly doubt that. Please explain 'my side' to demonstrate that you do indeed see both arguments.

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: I made your case for you just to show you that I'm not the zombie you think I am! I'm well aware of "all" the possibilities, w/o need to ridicule you or your family, or "your experiences".

I never accused you of being a zombie. I implied that you were gullible and unreasonable. And if you are well aware of all the possiblities, why don't you explain all of them? Again, just to demonstrate that you know them.

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: The example I gave you is one (the most important one to me) of many, many. Probably, every one of them could be explained by you. But, when they happened over and over again.... "I" started to wonder. Am I, and my ilk, just lucky... all the time? And, anit it odd that when we pray for people things seem to work out! All the time?!! Very strange indeed!

I'm going to let you in a not so very secret secret: Shit happens.

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: I'm pretty much in the same boat about not giving 2 shits about you either. But, you'll never see me use one of your innocent family members as fodder for sarcasm. It's just inhuman.

I disagree, it's very human

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: Whether you use them to make a point, or otherwise... it's a universal line that shouldn't be crossed.

Really? And who decided on this universal line?

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: All that said. When someone experiences something you are not familiar with... How do you make an argument. When YOU weren't there...ever?

From your description of the events at the hospital, it is unnecessary for me to be there to understand and assess the event. The explanation is simple, it is entirely unnecessary to envoke any kind of miracle.

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: Does God need to materialize from a cloud of smoke for you to believe in a miracle.... Or could He just "use" every unique opportunity available in a given situation to save a loved one?

Have you ever considered that 'every unique opportunity' is just that.

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: You are basing your answers on my life experiences with lack of evidence,

You are claiming things with lack of evdience.

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: on your part. That is called "ignorance". I have all the evidence I need: we pray; miracles happen!

I farted twice and the Netherlands scored two goals, my farts must cause Netherlands to score goals.

You think i'm taking the piss here but i'm really not. I'm simply applying your way of thinking.

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: Spin it up any way you'd like. But, you haven't seen anything.

And neither have you.

(June 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm)ronedee Wrote: And ironically, you never will. At least not in this life.

That isn't what irony is. Oh and how typical, a threat or as you might like to phrase it: an ominous warning.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
The idea that maybe any one of these events wouldn't meet your own standard of evidence - but that all of them surpasses it to the point of belief in a god is staggering. A lot of bad evidence equals good evidence? Since when? I can point you to a half dozen people who admit to shooting jfk. Hell, if 200 people admitted to it, would that be good evidence that 200 people shot jfk? 2,000? 2mil?

"Things kept happening".....were things going to start "not happening"? "Things" are going to keep happening so long as you keep breathing, is my guess.

I suppose, in short, I can't but point out that what you've expressed thusfar is deeply, deeply irrational. Again, I doubt that your faith hinges on any of this, or that any of it actually brought you to faith.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: Incorrect, I made up my mind after you said many many words.
But my repeatable evidence isn't enough for you.... you've "made up" your mind.

(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: I highly doubt that. Please explain 'my side' to demonstrate that you do indeed see both arguments.
And they claim here that we use circular reasoning? LOL! Here... I'll spell it out for you... I believe you. You don't believe me. That plain enough for you?

(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: I never accused you of being a zombie. I implied that you were gullible and unreasonable. And if you are well aware of all the possiblities, why don't you explain all of them? Again, just to demonstrate that you know them.
Do I need to repeat over, and over that I am aware that "things" could've "happened" any number of ways? Or are you just dense?

(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: I'm going to let you in a not so very secret secret: Shit happens.
AGAIN... I agree. But, when they happen consistently I take notice. It wasn't just any "shit" happening either!

(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: I disagree, it's very human
So, you wouldn't mind someone taking some shots at your family?

(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: Really? And who decided on this universal line?
Humans in general Mr Wolf...but you are an animal I assume?

(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: From your description of the events at the hospital, it is unnecessary for me to be there to understand and assess the event. The explanation is simple, it is entirely unnecessary to envoke any kind of miracle.
That was ONE event, out of many.

(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: Have you ever considered that 'every unique opportunity' is just that.

You are claiming things with lack of evdience.
I have repeatable evidence of "something" happening. Give it whatever "name" you'd like to.

(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: I farted twice and the Netherlands scored two goals, my farts must cause Netherlands to score goals.

You think i'm taking the piss here but i'm really not. I'm simply applying your way of thinking.
I'll play along here... You actually farted twice in anticipation of 2 goals? I'd like to see/hear that. Did you record it? Do you have proof that happened?

I have proof that what happened in the hospital did indeed happen. Also, hundreds of other "happenings", that are complex in their unfolding and nature.

That would be more like: you trying to farting for a goal, shitting yourself instead, the football sailing through your window and and hitting you in the beans!
(June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: That isn't what irony is. Oh and how typical, a threat or as you might like to phrase it: an ominous warning.

The irony is that you are looking, but refuse to see! Just the premise of a "miracle" bothers you! Why look? That is the question?
Quis ut Deus?
Rondee, the problem you can't seem to grasp is that you have absolutely no objective standard by which anyone should accept your interpretation of events as miracles. No evidence, just conjecture, because... you felt it in your gut? Because your imagination fails to consider every factor? (Humanly not possible). Why accept your word for it and not the UFO abductee or televangelist? Their testimony is far more persuasive than, "I hoped a loved one would heal! And she did! And I can't explain it!" Even so, the brain is prone to see things, that's the point. Some of us don't just accept everything "we see." This isn't the Middle Ages anymore. Better explanations are available. We know this.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(June 29, 2014 at 8:37 pm)Rhythm Wrote: The idea that maybe any one of these events wouldn't meet your own standard of evidence - but that all of them surpasses it to the point of belief in a god is staggering. A lot of bad evidence equals good evidence? Since when? I can point you to a half dozen people who admit to shooting jfk. Hell, if 200 people admitted to it, would that be good evidence that 200 people shot jfk? 2,000? 2mil?

"Things kept happening".....were things going to start "not happening"? "Things" are going to keep happening so long as you keep breathing, is my guess.

I suppose, in short, I can't but point out that what you've expressed thusfar is deeply, deeply irrational. Again, I doubt that your faith hinges on any of this, or that any of it actually brought you to faith.
"deeply irrational"?! To you maybe. But, I have living, breathing proof!

Call it anything you want. But it works for me, and mine. And has been for years.

It keeps my Faith strong going forward. I've erased fear of anything out of my life by the Grace of the Holy Spirit. It's an amazing thing to have absolutely no fear of anything, or anyone!

And the only way to have that is to have God.

(June 29, 2014 at 9:09 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Rondee, the problem you can't seem to grasp is that you have absolutely no objective standard by which anyone should accept your interpretation of events as miracles. No evidence, just conjecture, because... you felt it in your gut? Because your imagination fails to consider every factor? (Humanly not possible). Why accept your word for it and not the UFO abductee or televangelist? Their testimony is far more persuasive than, "I hoped a loved one would heal! And she did! And I can't explain it!" Even so, the brain is prone to see things, that's the point. Some of us don't just accept everything "we see." This isn't the Middle Ages anymore. Better explanations are available. We know this.
And I said I accept your doubts. But, "I"..."ME" has proof! And it don't matter what you or the others think. It doesn't affect me in the least!

I related my experience... one of many... and it was to show you that I believe, because of that... and MANY others.

As I said: call it whatever you'd like! I'm good with that. But, your opinions mean nothing really to me. Just as mine mean nothing to you!

We come from two different worlds of thought.
Quis ut Deus?
(June 29, 2014 at 9:15 pm)ronedee Wrote: "deeply irrational"?! To you maybe. But, I have living, breathing proof!
Um..no, Ron, deeply irrational, as in deeply irrational as defined by logical constraints - the authority on what is or is not within the purvey of what is "rational". You don't have living breathing proof because you don't have any proof. Inigo Montoya moment. What you have isn't even evidence that you would accept (if you didn't have faith), if you'll recall.

Quote:Call it anything you want. But it works for me, and mine. And has been for years.
What works? What work is it doing? What is it? Do I dismiss this out of hand or are we going to see something to consider?

Quote:It keeps my Faith strong going forward. I've erased fear of anything out of my life by the Grace of the Holy Spirit. It's an amazing thing to have absolutely no fear of anything, or anyone!

And the only way to have that is to have God.
Just what, or whom...in your imagination....do I fear? Your claim would seem to be untrue by the simple virtue of my presence in the discussion. Seems to me that you feel that I'm out to prove that you're wrong on these claims. I'm not, I don't care. I think that they're campfire stories. What I am engaging you about, is your continually underachieving rational process. I feel that I've made a fairly simple point here - and I've humored you piling claims on top of claims, but I don't think I'm willing to go any further unless we can get a little back and forth going.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14215 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 12192 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 59198 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4715 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6550 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4546 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 23479 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 38307 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8994 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Charged for "faith healing" over medical care Foxaèr 18 5120 October 16, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet