Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 11:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
RE: The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
Hammy is sensitive as hell. But very insensitive when it comes to others. Can dish it out very well. But can't take anything, not even a little.

That is my impression of you, with very little/minimal interaction. So don't take it as fact. But anyway why leave? It's not even bad? It's just a forum lol.
Just needs a little self-control and fewer excuses, coming from someone who's considered him a friend here. That said, there are people who instigate him whose behavior in that regard isn't much better.
I think people need to also remember that Ham has autism. I'm not saying we shouldn't point out unreasonable behavior, but it may be more appropriate to take a more gentle approach. I have a nephew with autism and I would hope people are patient and understanding with him.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
CL, I've known and been friendly with Hammy for more than five years. I've only ever said anything when he's having a particularly noticeable freakout, and I acknowledge that others are involved. The language I use mirrors the language he's used with me. That said, autism is not an excuse to accuse people of things or be rude. Being rude and owning it is perfectly fine in my book. Being unwilling to work on yourself is also completely fine in my book. Blaming it on a diagnosis or getting special treatment because of it is not. No one gives me special treatment for my diagnoses, and I don't ask for it. I accommodated the world in a way that worked for me.
Why Hammy?

You have to reply before you can depart! Big Grin
I'm sorry, has Hammy done something that I need to pay attention to? For me, Hammy = scroll.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 8, 2018 at 1:55 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm sorry, has Hammy done something that I need to pay attention to? For me, Hammy = scroll.

Not unless you're into reruns.
(May 8, 2018 at 1:49 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I think people need to also remember that Ham has autism. I'm not saying we shouldn't point out unreasonable behavior, but it may be more appropriate to take a more gentle approach. I have a nephew with autism and I would hope people are patient and understanding with him.

Please don't excuse this. I have known children on the spectrum, who's behavior and meltdowns are reasonable given their place on the spectrum. Many of them can't communicate fully or function without major help. Clearly, when you have a grown adult, who is capable of full thought and can not only live on their own, as he is doing, but is able to socialize on an internet forum, they need to realize what they say can and does have an impact on other people. 

And for the record, I did try to be gentle in my approach. I even said that I was sorry, but I followed it with the fact that I felt his comments were a bit harsh. And you see the results of that, right? I end up getting called all sorts of names including a narcissistic cunt. I made two (2) posts and he blew up like a volcano over it and then proceeded to get even more pissed off because you kudosed those posts. Like What the actual fuck is wrong with that?

But okay - let's give him a pass because he has autism. He's on the higher end of that, I can guarantee it. If he wasn't, then he would not be able to live on his own, go drinking, go gambling or do any of the other things he's bragged about doing, that rational adults are able to do. 

I can't stand it when people do shit like that and expect others to just ignore the behavior or give excuses for it. We have a word for that. Enabling. Don't be one of those people, CL because that does nothing to help the other person be a better person or see past their own faults.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I thought (as far as memory serves) there were several people on this forum who are on the spectrum, who don't appear to have problems interacting reasonably and politely with people, for the most part.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(May 8, 2018 at 2:01 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I thought (as far as memory serves) there were several people on this forum who are on the spectrum, who don't appear to have problems interacting reasonably and politely with people, for the most part.

There are. And those people, if I'm correct, tend not to let shit get way out of hand.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Commentary on announcements and staff logs thread The Valkyrie 139 10639 July 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4249 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 11026 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Please Explain to a Newly Inducted "Old Fart" thesummerqueen 44 13518 November 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Cinjin