Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 5:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brainstorm
RE: Brainstorm
(February 1, 2016 at 11:41 am)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(February 1, 2016 at 4:10 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: OP's decide what you're going to talk about(which is exactly what I said). Not how you do it. This is an important distinction, one you admitedly overlooked. How is this paraphrasing me and not misquoting? Where do we draw the line? Is english not your first language, or something?

That must be it.   Dodgy

To be fair, you completely mischaracterized what I said and didn't have the sense to admit it when confronted with it.
(February 1, 2016 at 10:59 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 1, 2016 at 9:15 am)Emjay Wrote: Okay, rationalist it is then. Just not a full-time one. I can get caught up in my delusions, as you well know from playing Mafia with me. And with smoking I can go months without paying deliberate, rational, attention to the warnings on the packet. I am an emotional person but I reflect and 'introspect' a lot and try to understand myself and better myself. So I don't know - what's the ton it says about me?

Well, just that. Whether you appreciate the value of rationality or not. Everything you described as good concerning our mental faculties you did so by applying logic, therefore you are a rationalist no matter what, and so is everyone else. But understading this and being able to determine in that way what is good for you and what isn't makes all the difference in the world. I am not necessarily saying being a rationalist means being perfect. It means you're willing to improve, if anything.

I do appreciate the value of it and perhaps more than a 50-50 split after all. For instance I would like to be able to play a detached game of Mafia as I think I would achieve a lot more with a lot less effort and stress. Likewise I wish that I could rely on rational thinking whenever I was triggered into smoking, rather than being emotionally driven by irrational needs. If I could do that I could quit tomorrow. Basically more often than not, running with the emotion unchecked leads to regrets, whether it be a binge on chocolate or an angry outburst. So yes I suppose I do wish I could be a bit more like Spock. But purely intellectual arguments lack the persuasive power of emotional arguments so I can tell myself till I'm blue in the face that smoking is bad for me and that statistically it will kill me but unfortunately it can't compete with the emotional delusion. Having said that though, I did discover quite recently a way to make intellectual arguments 'stick' in that sort of way. I found that by meditating on small, individual aspects of a theory, it kind of implanted them emotionally, little by little, incrementally. So that might be a good way to approach the question of quitting smoking, but as it stands, too many fears of loss/lack of faith in a future without smoking stop me from trying.
Kill em all!!
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(February 1, 2016 at 5:41 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Kill em all!!

I'll get right on that. But first leave the church. I can't do it otherwise.
(February 1, 2016 at 5:45 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 1, 2016 at 5:41 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Kill em all!!

I'll get right on that. But first leave the church. I can't do it otherwise.

Aww, hey that was kinda sweet of you EP!  Smile
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Excited Penguin Wrote:How do we get rid of religion?

I'm not interested in any plan to get rid of religion that isn't based on compassion and sweet reason.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(February 1, 2016 at 5:50 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
Excited Penguin Wrote:How do we get rid of religion?

I'm not interested in any plan to get rid of religion that isn't based on compassion and sweet reason.

What a peculiar thing to say. Neither am I. Who is?
I think we've exhausted this subject.

Any suggestions for a new topic?
"How do we get rid of religion?"

Co-ordinated, extensive genocide. 

Big Grin
Dying to live, living to die.
Oh man, lots of genocide suggestions. Why not start with individualism? If everyone is encouraged to think for themselves and make their own decisions, then they will be more likely to steer away from organized religion. Billboards also seem to actually help.
Meandering Atheist: Several friends on a journey of romance and adventure, to talk about moderately interesting topics.