Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 4:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ask a Bible college Student
RE: Ask a Bible college Student
(November 2, 2016 at 2:56 pm)Emzap Wrote:
(November 2, 2016 at 1:57 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Why do you believe the bible is true?

I believe the Bible is true because I believe in the God spoken about in the Bible. I have experience the power of God, and He has transformed my life.

I'm happy for you. That is always a good thing.

Quote:There is a verse that says that all Scripture (the Bible) is God-breathed, which means that it is inspired by God.

Circular reasoning.

Quote:Also, looking objectively at the New Testament as a historical document, It was written close to the time of the events it talks about, and the earliest copy we have found is within 30 years of the original writing.

Agreed.

Quote:There are 5800 historical copies found, and the accuracy compared to the originals is incredible.

...but we don't have the originals?!

Quote: The New Testament as a historical document is historically reliable, which is a good reason to me to believe in it.

Debatable, but we'll leave it for now.

Quote: Internally, it is consistent, even though there are many writers who contributed to the overall Bible who wrote over a long period of time.

Answer me this, is Genesis a literal or allegorical story?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(November 4, 2016 at 7:57 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: See, this is the interesting bit. I say the "left over" embryos from IVF need to be handled with more humanity, and get crap. Min comes in and says more babies should be aborted and no one bats an eye.

Well, Min is like an elderly great-uncle that always sits in the same chair staring off into space only to randomly shout out angry sentences between bouts of shitting himself. After a certain point, you just stop paying attention.

We give you crap, because we expect something of you and are curious to see how far you've thought it through. Wink
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Stem cells are a bunch of cells and not a person. But they can save the lives of conscious people who can suffer.

If they're donated to science.

Or they can be treated like people despite being an unconscious bunch of cells and more alive conscious people can die instead.
(November 4, 2016 at 7:57 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: See, this is the interesting bit. I say the "left over" embryos from IVF need to be handled with more humanity, and get crap. Min comes in and says more babies should be aborted and no one bats an eye.

I think a good number of we godless actually handle even the vast number of our half-embryos in the making with a good deal of loving care. And I don't just mean Hammy.

(November 5, 2016 at 12:19 am)Faith No More Wrote: Well, Min is like an elderly great-uncle that always sits in the same chair staring off into space only to randomly shout out angry sentences between bouts of shitting himself.  After a certain point, you just stop paying attention.

We give you crap, because we expect something of you and are curious to see how far you've thought it through.  Wink

That and I appreciate her subtle sense of humor.
(November 2, 2016 at 2:56 pm)Emzap Wrote:
(November 2, 2016 at 1:57 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Why do you believe the bible is true?

I believe the Bible is true because I believe in the God spoken about in the Bible. I have experience the power of God, and He has transformed my life. There is a verse that says that all Scripture (the Bible) is God-breathed, which means that it is inspired by God. 

Also, looking objectively at the New Testament as a historical document, It was written close to the time of the events it talks about, and the earliest copy we have found is within 30 years of the original writing. There are 5800 historical copies found, and the accuracy compared to the originals is incredible. The New Testament as a historical document is historically reliable, which is a good reason to me to believe in it. Internally, it is consistent, even though there are many writers who contributed to the overall Bible who wrote over a long period of time.

That quote from Timothy is familiar to me.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

So, the Bible itself commands Literalism and the Bible itself refutes scripture cherry picking. Right ?

(that's a leading question, BTW)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 5, 2016 at 12:25 am)Whateverist Wrote:

I think a good number of we godless actually handle even the vast number of our half-embryos in the making with a good deal of loving care.  And I don't just mean Hammy.

Although I do make most of the mayo.
Braggert!
Honest. I couldn't stop the other day. Lost count.
And, and .. unclean! Especially the sticky floor. That's just gross.
(November 4, 2016 at 11:16 pm)Emzap Wrote:
(November 4, 2016 at 11:39 am)Tazzycorn Wrote: The op seems to have abandoned the thread. I wonder was it all the fallacies in his holy book thrown at him or the fact we didn't immediately bow down and worship yhwh?

It was actually the fact that I'm a full time student, working 20 hours a week, have a lot of assignments, and occasionally try to have a social life. Wink
My faith is not shaken, and I did not expect anyone to believe in God based on me being here and sharing what I believe.

Well then why did you come to a site that was going to rip the tenets of your faith a new one? It's not like your college is even making a ghost of an attempt to give you a critical appraisal of christianity (for example they've sold you the lie that the bible is a valid historical document. It is not).

So I'm beginning to think you're here for one of three reasons, evangelisation (honestly your disavowal doesn't mean much to me, all evangelicals who were trying to convert me irl denied they were evangelising), masochism or bragging rights.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Ask a public-health student 2.0 Aractus 1 766 May 9, 2016 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Aractus
Question Ask a public-health/nutrition student Aractus 56 11449 March 19, 2016 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Ask a College Student BrokenQuill92 27 5047 August 5, 2015 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92