Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dylann Roof sentenced to death
RE: Dylann Roof sentenced to death
(January 12, 2017 at 3:38 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(January 12, 2017 at 11:07 am)Orochi Wrote: 1.As for the concept of earning death. death cannot be earned it's not a currency nor is life a currency we have the right to spend

I look at it more as forfeiting your right to life.

A forfeit we can't approve
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(January 11, 2017 at 1:06 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm confussed.

It seems most of you will claim to be vehemently against the dp, but when presented with a specific case, take on an attitude of "wellll, if it's HIM..."

Stick to your guns, folks. This is why the question of right/wrong is based on objective principles, not emotion.

I'm not saying kill him... just let people throw walnut sized rocks at him. If he just so happens to die... oh well... Or we can let him go free in the middle of the ocean or the jungles of Borneo....
(January 12, 2017 at 3:46 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(January 12, 2017 at 11:07 am)Orochi Wrote: 1.As for the concept of earning death. death cannot be earned it's not a currency nor is life a currency we have the right to spend

Quote:You took the phrase too literally.

You said he earned it  I say life can't earned nor is it spendable nor can debts be made of it

Quote:2.Another purpose of prison is keeping the dangerous in a place they can live without harming anyone else
Quote:Ted Bundy. Also, they can't harm anyone else if they're dead. If they are very likely to re-offend if they escape or some naive judge lets them out down the line, I say kill them now. If you think people don't escape from prison or that it's unlikely, you might want to look into that a little more.

They can't offend in jail as for the other two they happen but it's rare as hell and hardly justifies killing them all or even killing most of them

Quote:3. Life alone is THE point
Quote:They're not alone. It's extraordinarily rare for people to have an actually solitary life in prison. Jesse Pomeroy springs to mind, but he too "earned" it, and is another good example of why the death penalty is a good option. He got out, reoffended, and it resulted in the death of a little girl. Granted, that was a long time ago. The only difference I see is murderers now get higher counts.

Yup I could happen at the same time there are literally hundreds of counter examples of people who earned it  and never reoffended Micheal Alig comes to mind. murders can be reformed and those who aren't can still be kept alive period. Including the person who murdered my mother in a break and enter.

Quote:4. Lack of remorse is not a justification

Yes, it is. It's part of how we conduct sentencing in the United States. It absolutely has always been, under our judiciary system, one of the main factors in determining how long/what kind of a sentence a convict gets.

Who gives a shit if they forfeit it? We're talking about the worst of the worst. I won't waste any time protecting them from anything. I put that right on my list of things I don't give a fuck about.

Lack of remorse should determine how long the sentence it should not determine weather we should kill them well to your last point I do care because I have both meet and spoken to them in my work with corrections I can't simply see them as the worst of the worst i'm sorry you can't see it that way
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Nah.  Take the mattress off the springs, leave about a quarter inch of water in the bottom of his cell, turn the lights on when he tries to sleep and off when he's awake.  Tell him he's set to be released tomorrow, every day, for years.  One day, far in the future, open the cell door...only to move him to an identical cell directly across the hall.  

It's the little things that cut the deepest.

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 12, 2017 at 7:26 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(January 11, 2017 at 1:06 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm confussed.

It seems most of you will claim to be vehemently against the dp, but when presented with a specific case, take on an attitude of "wellll, if it's HIM..."  

Stick to your guns, folks. This is why the question of right/wrong is based on objective principles, not emotion.

I'm not saying kill him... just let people throw walnut sized rocks at him. If he just so happens to die... oh well... Or we can let him go free in the middle of the ocean or the jungles of Borneo....

Or we could not do that

Inuit Proverb

Why do you want to take the joy out of everything?

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 12, 2017 at 7:32 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Nah.  Take the mattress off the springs, leave about a quarter inch of water in the bottom of his cell, turn the lights on when he tries to sleep and off when he's awake.  Tell him he's set to be released tomorrow, every day, for years.  One day, far in the future, open the cell door...only to move him to an identical cell directly across the hall.  

It's the little things that cut the deepest.

Wink

We don't want to drive him insane. It takes clarity for him to truly dispair.
(January 12, 2017 at 6:24 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I don't think so, particularly in that the cost is tied to the appeals process and we already execute the innocent.  

See, I've already pointed out that only extraordinary evidence and crimes should warrant the death penalty. I've only heard of a very few (maybe less than a handful outside of serial killers) of cases where I would actually advocate for it. As for the appeals process, it's overly costly, and, like medical care, it should be overhauled.

Quote:I don't care about that guy either, it's not for caring about him or sympathizing with him that I oppose the death penalty.

Yeah, I'm just talking about this guy, not so much the death penalty in general.

Quote:Lack of remorse should determine how long the sentence it should not determine weather we should kill them

But it does. That's the way our laws regarding the matter work, and always has been. It's a strong indication of re-offense, which matters.

Quote:well to your last point I do care because I have both meet and spoken to them in my work with corrections I can't simply see them as the worst of the worst i'm sorry you can't see it that way

Oh, I could see it your way. I just won't. It's not worth it. They're not worth it. Remember, I'm only talking about the absolutely horrid people, such as Roof.
(January 12, 2017 at 8:26 pm)Shell B Wrote: See, I've already pointed out that only extraordinary evidence and crimes should warrant the death penalty. I've only heard of a very few (maybe less than a handful outside of serial killers) of cases where I would actually advocate for it. As for the appeals process, it's overly costly, and, like medical care, it should be overhauled.
I'm not sure how making an already flawed process cheaper would improve the process, personally.  If I wanted to improve the process, it would probably end up costing more.  As in, more expensive lawyers for people accused of capital offenses, and more resources at their disposal with which to make appeals.  Killing someone isn't something to get cheap on.  As to extraordinary evidence, we convicted and killed a man based upon extraordinary evidence a few years back in texas..we actually found out, before he was executed, the the "extraordinary evidence" was only extraordinary in that it amounted to witchcraft.  We already maintain that extraordinary evidence and crimes are all that warrant the death penalty, and yet we have issues.  

Quote:Yeah, I'm just talking about this guy, not so much the death penalty in general.
Understood.

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but if some person isn't worth giving a shit about, why would they be worth turning our state into executioners for?
1. a strong indicator not really and it still does not justified killing them

2. yes I know who your talking about and my answer remains the same

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NXIVM Cult leader due to be sentenced tomoz...predictions? Duty 13 678 October 27, 2020 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Suge Knight Sentenced to 28 Years in Prison Fake Messiah 3 642 October 9, 2018 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Dutchman sentenced to month in jail for insulting king account_inactive 12 1770 July 15, 2016 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  S.C. Can't Execure Dylan Roof Because of Drug Shortage Rhondazvous 17 3330 October 5, 2015 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Rape victim sentenced to death in Iran. Brian37 68 12963 October 26, 2014 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Iranian sentenced to death for blasphemy. Brian37 8 1976 September 19, 2014 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Brian37