Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 7:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Member Photos
RE: Member Photos
Damn sexy new people. I've been away for too long!
Sorry about the snakes, Losty. Here, here's a photo of my son, in with some other shots we took at the USS Lexington Air Museum in Corpus Christi, TX. His comment as I was taking the first one: "Aw, Dad, you already have pictures of me." Me: "I know, but in case we get separated, I want one handy so I can remember what you look like."

[Image: 2lwtc7o.jpg]

[Image: a2bx5h.jpg]

[Image: 2exuijr.jpg]

(July 16, 2014 at 11:23 pm)Rhythm Wrote: That's a beautiful set of moccassins Thump. Is that your deck they were under?

No, it's the footbridge into the grotto area at my job, Hamilton Pool, outside of Dripping Springs, TX. We've got water moccasins all over the place there; in one day last year, I spotted five individuals on a 3/4-mile patrol.

I'm guessing they send you out to drive the snakes back into the brush. I was walking on the footpaths through paines prarie in fl as a volunteer once - and caught a whole gaggle of gators just sunning themselves on a concrete slab that a bench had been built on. I wish I'd had a camera - it was a surreal moment.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This is me launching a paper hot air balloon on new years eve this year. Pai Thailand. Good times.

[Image: 692pur.jpg]
(July 18, 2014 at 9:50 am)Rhythm Wrote: I'm guessing they send you out to drive the snakes back into the brush. I was walking on the footpaths through paines prarie in fl as a volunteer once - and caught a whole gaggle of gators just sunning themselves on a concrete slab that a bench had been built on. I wish I'd had a camera - it was a surreal moment.

Well, now that would give me the heebies. How far off were you?

You're right -- my job, in part, is to moderate the visitor/wildlife interactions. We're a nature preserve, so the wildlife gets right-of-way, and that often means telling visitors to leave them alone, or directing them away. But snakes are generally shy animals and want nothing to do with people; generally, North American snakes bite humans only in defense.

When I see folks getting close to one of our eight or nine species of snakes, I'll tell them, "I've got a theory that people who get snakebit probably deserved it." Even the moccasins, who aren't afraid to defend their turf, will leave you alone so long as you don't get stupid, as you likely know.

10 or 15 feet, came right around a bend with thick palmetto on each side. They do the same at Paines, we went out every morning to close down the trails (if needs be). The trick was getting there before somebody wandered out early in the am (or down a taped off trail- for some idiotic reason), when the snakes and gators were too sluggish to get out of the way before they were ever seen. Definitely a heebie jeebie moment though. Can't say I did the smart thing immediately...lol. I stood there real still and admired the view/pissed my pants a little bit. Those fuckers are fast when they want to be......honestly, they always scared me more on land than they did in the water. Never had a problem swimming in the lakes, but I could never (and still can't) bring myself to meander on the shoreline. When you catch em out of the water it's almost a certainty that they'll either be sitting the nest - or feeling very vulnerable. In the water, they're pretty chill -in my experience.

(one side of paines is owned by UF, southern belles like to water the horses daddy gave em on the bank of one of the lakes - watched one of the older gators there -let's call him Herman- grab a horse by the head and drag him in...shrub he was tied to and all....little girl was inconsolable, Herman was as big as our john boat...and a bit of an attraction for the park)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah, everything I've heard about gators says that catching them unawares isn't a good idea. I remember reading that they can actually run about 30mph in short bursts ... not any animal I'm wanting to play with, that's for damn sure.

Yeah, they're quick. LOL< you know..there's this other idea going around that if you zig-zag when you run.....

ROFLOL

Gators aren't dumb. Deer zigzag and leap when they panic...gators just charge the middle and snap their silly asses up...and then it's nom nom nom...back into the muck. Point being, it's best not to run when you see a gator. You calmly gtfo.
No doubt. I'm not taking my eyes off anything that dangerous.

(July 17, 2014 at 1:30 pm)Amalynne0 Wrote:
Quote:Pretty girl! I love your hair and your mischievous eyes Heart

Aw thx! I was feeling really bummed about the color Sun In made my hair (can we say first world problems??), now I can face the world with more confidence. Big Grin

Do they still make sun in, I turned ginger in the eighties coz of that shit.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. Whateverist 1189 131242 May 3, 2024 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  new member asswriter 8 319 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  New member MistMuse 7 320 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 776 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 902 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 669 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1433 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1218 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2157 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2741 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one