Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Member Photos
RE: Member Photos
I don't remember if you ever told us what camera you had, whateverist, but if you have a DSLR, there are two settings to play with how sharp/focused the photo. Laymen's explanation/general rule of thumb:

Shutter speed is what you use when you want to take sharp photos of something in motion. The faster the shutter speed, the sharper the image. This has the unfortunate effect of letting less light in, so generally you'll have to either open the aperture, or bump up the ISO. Or shoot outside in good lighting. A slower shutter speed will add blur into the photo as something wanders past. This is how landscape photographers "smooth out" water scenes like waterfalls, rocky rivers, or oceans. You can also use a REALLY long exposure time to eliminate any humans walking past a building, if you're clever.

Aperture is going to control the "depth of field". This is the band of sharp quality you see in macro photos a lot. Portrait mode on camera plays with this setting - that's why the humans in the foreground are in focus, but the background is softer. The wider the aperture, the less will be infocus, or the tighter the area. The smaller the aperture, the larger the focused area. However, the smaller the aperture, the less light gets in, and vice versa, so you'll have to bump the ISO or shutter speed to compensate. What you want to do in the photo will determine how you adjust those settings. Of course, there are filters you can add to help with some of this.

A point and shoot camera will have settings for "landscape", "macro", "portrait", and all that, and will come with predetermined settings that adjust a bit based on what happens when the autofocus latches on to your subject and the light-metering is processed. Most DSLR's have these 'auto' settings as well, but they're nowhere near as fun as using Manual mode.

How much you can adjust those settings will be determined by the lens you use. An f/1.8 lens like Alex mentioned is going to give you hella DoF control - lots of bokeh, if you want it.

There are a ton of tutorials for how to use your camera in more effective ways - I can find you the websites I started on, if you're interested. Doesn't matter if you have a DSLR or not - understanding the principles will give you better control of a point and shoot, even. You already take pretty good photos of your garden and dogs, so I can't imagine you're as far behind as you would imply.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Thanks. I have access to a wide range of cameras through Lia but I tend to just use my iPhone now. You might just have prodded me to raid her closet. (I'm blaming you.)
Photography is one area I am all to happy to be blamed and punished for.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Hi all, new guy here, i normally hangout in another atheist forum (TTA) but a good friend invited me here. Here is a few pics..

I spend a little time in the gym now and then
[Image: 2wobrsn.jpg]

Me and my best friend
[Image: 2a4tyqa.jpg]

My fav shirt Smile
[Image: t6w17o.jpg]

and my ridiculously adorable dogs
[Image: 2u9k6z8.jpg]

that's pretty much me. Glad to be here
You, not a mythical god, are the author of your book of life, make it one worth reading..and living.
Welcome newcomer. Smile

Nice muscles, nice dogs, nice teeth.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Yeah, those are some super dignified dogs. I saw one being pushed in a pram at the dog park the other day. Even on its last legs it sat erect looking forward stoically as though it were orchestrating the whole show. Have you always had Scotties?

Oh, and welcome aboard. If two dogs like you that's good enough for me.
(January 12, 2015 at 9:25 pm)goodwithoutgod Wrote:

Heyyy I know you Big Grin

Good to see you here! You should post your accent tag in the accent tag thread here. I'm totally not making this suggestion just because I want to hear your deep manly voice again...Blush Angel
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Fucking Christ, GWG -- remind not to piss you off.

I'll echo what w'ist said. I trust the judgement of dogs. Except when they decide to investigate Pepe Le Pew in my back yard.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Thanks all for the warm welcome. Smile

*waves* hey Losty! Good to see you here as well, I saw robby pants here too I think.

Yes, we have always had scotties, we love them, my mother in law has two as well (litter mates) so when we get together for the holidays it is a herd of scotties scampering around Cool Shades
You, not a mythical god, are the author of your book of life, make it one worth reading..and living.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. Whateverist 1189 131170 May 3, 2024 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  new member asswriter 8 292 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  New member MistMuse 7 320 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 762 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 902 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 669 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1429 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1218 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2152 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2737 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one