Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 1:19 pm

Poll: Do you believe in God?
This poll is closed.
Yes
13.92%
148 13.92%
No
86.08%
915 86.08%
Total 1063 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
RE: Quick Poll - Do you believe in God?
Yup, it's official. After all his posturing, all his little speeches, he's nothing but a common atheist...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 29, 2015 at 8:52 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(April 29, 2015 at 7:32 am)Riketto Wrote: Your sense of the word is different from mine.
Gold does not exist until you are interested in finding it.
It doesn't show to you were it is.
It is up to you to put the effort to find it.
God work in the same way.
There is no point in telling you that God exist if you are not
interested in him.
It is only when there is some interest in God that the sense of the word
take a different meaning.  Smile

So god is a mental construct.
Thank you for admitting it.
Doesn't exist until your mind conjures it up. You can then use language to convey that concept that your mind made up and try to implant that concept in another mind... that other mind's concept of god will be slightly different from yours, but it doesn't matter.
Each mind should have its own god concept.

Doesn't mean it exists out of human minds...

You are very fast to jump at conclusions.
Did i ever said that God is in the mind?
The mind is the outer side of the consciousness and with external understanding of the reality you can't possibly understand the inner
side of reality or the super conscious.
Here the onion example come useful again.
The external layer is the mind and the inner layer is the super conscious mind and it is here that you can understand whether God exist or not
and it is through spirituality that you can penetrate the inner layers of you super conscious mind.  Lightbulb
Would you Adam and Eve it?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 29, 2015 at 9:10 am)Riketto Wrote:
(April 29, 2015 at 8:52 am)pocaracas Wrote: So god is a mental construct.
Thank you for admitting it.
Doesn't exist until your mind conjures it up. You can then use language to convey that concept that your mind made up and try to implant that concept in another mind... that other mind's concept of god will be slightly different from yours, but it doesn't matter.
Each mind should have its own god concept.

Doesn't mean it exists out of human minds...

You are very fast to jump at conclusions.
Did i ever said that God is in the mind?
The mind is the outer side of the consciousness and with external understanding of the reality you can't possibly understand the inner
side of reality or the super conscious.
Here the onion example come useful again.
The external layer is the mind and the inner layer is the super conscious mind and it is here that you can understand whether God exist or not
and it is through spirituality that you can penetrate the inner layers of you super conscious mind.  Lightbulb

So.... super conscious is in the mind... you just need to dig out the layers of crap conscious mind, huh?
(April 29, 2015 at 7:32 am)Riketto Wrote: Agree.
People shouldn't be intolerant just because they do not agree with your belief.

However, beliefs and ideas should not be beyond criticism, ever. Nor should that criticism ever be interpreted as personal attacks. The main reason that they all-too often are is that the person holding the beliefs and ideas has the suspicion that they may not be quite as firm as they would like.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Riketto Wrote:You just did a step forward Ton by not claiming things without having solid evidence.
I just want to point out that you can't just use "I believe" as some sort of cover for every crackpot idea that comes to mind, and then use it as a way to avoid having to support that crackpot idea.  It is not a "step forward."  It's just another version of "I cannot prove that it IS, but you cannot prove that it ISN'T."  At some point you have to prove SOMETHING, since you're the one promoting the crackpot ideas.
Riketto Wrote:The reason why i say that can not be proven is because i am dealing with people that only believe in a physical-mental way.
This is more of the same.  You want to dismiss the best option for learning in order to promote an option that you admit doesn't work.  Then you try to cloak it in mysticism and apply the same "just because we can't detect it doesn't mean it's not there" nonsense.

I have little interest in the things you cannot detect yet believe to be real.  The fact that you don't understand how absurd that approach is says a lot about where humanity stands today, and it's not very good.  Thankfully we're making progress, but there are still too many people who won't consider such an idea critically and realize that it's the ramblings of the insane.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 29, 2015 at 10:38 am)Tonus Wrote:
Riketto Wrote:You just did a step forward Ton by not claiming things without having solid evidence.
I just want to point out that you can't just use "I believe" as some sort of cover for every crackpot idea that comes to mind, and then use it as a way to avoid having to support that crackpot idea.  It is not a "step forward."  It's just another version of "I cannot prove that it IS, but you cannot prove that it ISN'T."  At some point you have to prove SOMETHING, since you're the one promoting the crackpot ideas.

Riketto Wrote:The reason why i say that can not be proven is because i am dealing with people that only believe in a physical-mental way.
This is more of the same.  You want to dismiss the best option for learning in order to promote an option that you admit doesn't work.  Then you try to cloak it in mysticism and apply the same "just because we can't detect it doesn't mean it's not there" nonsense.

I have little interest in the things you cannot detect yet believe to be real.  The fact that you don't understand how absurd that approach is says a lot about where humanity stands today, and it's not very good.  Thankfully we're making progress, but there are still too many people who won't consider such an idea critically and realize that it's the ramblings of the insane.

It can really be a very knotty question to deal with.
On one hand i feel to be real but because it is something that can not be proved in a physical-mental way
i have no other choice than to say i believe considering that i am talking to people who only understand something
if they can see it in a physical-mental way.
Why should be a.......crackpot idea .....when the feeling is so strong?
Internal feelings are not easily expressed.
Even to prove that you are in love with someone it is very hard to express to other people.
If we then go up and up in the scale of spiritual love then is a lot more difficult.
Does it means that it is not real just because it can not be express externally?
You never thought about it Ton, did you?  Demon  
(April 30, 2015 at 4:16 am)Riketto Wrote: It can really be a very knotty question to deal with.
On one hand i feel to be real but because it is something that can not be proved in a physical-mental way
i have no other choice than to say i believe considering that i am talking to people who only understand something
Even to prove that you are in love with someone it is very hard to express to other people.
If we then go up and up in the scale of spiritual love then is a lot more difficult.
Does it means that it is not real just because it can not be express externally?

Your love may be real, but the thing you love may not be.
You still haven't grasped the complexity of the human mind and how easily it can deceive itself, have you?
(April 30, 2015 at 4:41 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(April 30, 2015 at 4:16 am)Riketto Wrote: It can really be a very knotty question to deal with.

Your love may be real, but the thing you love may not be.
You still haven't grasped the complexity of the human mind and how easily it can deceive itself, have you?

True.
The mind can deceive you.
But now i have a question for you.
Suppose someone give you so much love but you are not 100% sure whether this love
come at a cost or not.
This love may well be deceiving but you are not 100% sure.
Would you tell your lover to go to hell because you are not sure whether he-she is going to deceiving you or not or you would carry on and
try to get more and more love?  Thinking  
(April 30, 2015 at 5:03 am)Riketto Wrote:
(April 30, 2015 at 4:41 am)pocaracas Wrote: Your love may be real, but the thing you love may not be.

True.
The mind can deceive you.
But now i have a question for you.
Suppose someone give you so much love but you are not 100% sure whether this love
come at a cost or not.
This love may well be deceiving but you are not 100% sure.
Would you tell your lover to go to hell because you are not sure whether he-she is going to deceiving you or not or you would carry on and
try to get more and more love?  Thinking  

What does that have to do with anything?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5790 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Gallup Poll for 2022 TheJefe817 27 3145 July 2, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7691 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35792 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2423 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8528 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13888 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4205 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6530 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3242 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball