Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 10:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
(September 24, 2015 at 8:52 am)Rhythm Wrote: You seem to be making a variation of the same woeful mistake good ole AKD made, btw.  u seem to think that for something to be observed...you have to see it with your eyes, or be able to create a mental analog for what that would be like (3D space, etc..because that's the way -you- see things).  As with the equivocation of the same word in QM - you, personally do not have to be able to "observe" a particle as you appear to be using the word.  There are reasons that we cant which are not in any way short of evidence or explanation, so it;s a good thing you don;t have to be able to observe it - you'd be missing out on alot.  The model does not predict that you would be able to "observe" a particle in the manner which you are requesting (n fact, it states precisely the opposite)...so, failing to produce that which the model doesn't predict isn't much of a criticism of the model.

This has already been discussed, in this thread.

"If I can't see a particle the way I see a billiard ball, then materialism is false/unevidenced/unlikely." Just, no.

Thats what I have been trying (and failing) to say!

I would add there is no point having a "shitty canadian school system etc" tantrum.  I am not critcising you for not being able to imaging a photon from the models.  I am criticising you for using that as excuse to then leap to "materialism is false" and claim something to the effect of "it is an idea because....well....er.... I say it is".  That is just your incredulity.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Cato - September 18, 2015 at 12:16 am
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Captain Scarlet - September 24, 2015 at 11:05 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1730 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3757 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1204 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7543 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 300 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12533 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  All Lives Matter Foxaèr 161 45557 July 22, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5255 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4722 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 16136 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus