Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 9:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some parental advice from all the lovely parentals? Non parentals also welcome :D
RE: Some parental advice from all the lovely parentals? Non parentals also welcome :D
I can't comment from a parental standpoint, but I can comment from a kid's standpoint, although I'm afraid my answer might just muddy the waters.

When I was in Kindergarten, the school contacted my parents and basically told them "he needs to move up, now." I was explaining how rocket propulsion and insect metamorphosis worked to my teacher, I was skimming through biology textbooks at home, and excelling at mathematics. Three weeks into the year, they slid me up to first grade, put me in the enrichment program, which was one whole day a week, and the next year they added another day a week in the enrichment program of the grade above me. The next part I didn't find out until I was in college: when I got to fourth grade, the school strongly recommended to my parents that I be moved up another grade, and after much discussion they said no. Eventually, I ended up in a lot of classes where I was a high school freshman, there were 3 juniors, and 16 seniors. Had I been moved up again, I would have graduated high school at 16.

Looking back... I don't know what I wish my parents would have done. I just don't know. I was always really bored with school for not being advanced enough and really awkward with my peers for not being emotionally mature (a problem certainly not unique to younger students, but probably exacerbated by my comparative youth). I'm really well adjusted these days, but I don't think that happened until 19 or 20. Had I not been moved up at all, I would've probably rebelled even more because I'd be so fed up with learning stuff I'd figured out years before, and had I been moved up again I would've basically had an even harder time making friends and dating and such, but I would've been more academically fulfilled. And it's impossible to look back and say which positive and negative aspects of my life had something to do with that. Robert Frost and all that. I can't make a recommendation, other than to suggest that, if you think your kid should move up a grade, do it as young as possible.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some parental advice from all the lovely parentals? Non parentals also welcome :D - by TheRealJoeFish - October 2, 2015 at 10:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 883 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  First-time, non-violent criminals do not belong in prison. Jehanne 25 1635 August 29, 2022 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Welcome back? Foxaèr 84 7293 April 19, 2022 at 8:24 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Non-Alcoholic Beer Foxaèr 48 2702 June 13, 2021 at 5:30 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Non-Alcoholic Bears LadyForCamus 8 685 June 12, 2021 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  About non European films. Peebothuhlu 4 556 November 15, 2020 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Serious] Are you non-binary? Porcupine 48 3823 July 18, 2020 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Welcome guests!! Jehanne 3 644 June 30, 2020 at 10:24 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 569 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6455 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3