Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things
A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things
Hello, everyone of Atheist Forums. I chose to make this topic on this sub-forum because I did not know where else to pit it, so I decided to post it here, if that is okay. If this is the wrong place, I apologize. Anyway...

In advance, I do apologize if this offends someone. I did not mean to offend anyone here, as I am just stating my thoughts.

For a long time, members of humanity have discriminated against one another in different ways. That includes people with different religions, race, culture, way of doing something, or having something like obesity, old age and even disabilities/disorders. I wish to focus on the disorders and disabilities part mainly in this discussion.

Now, like I said, people discriminate against one another so much. In the case of children, people are made fun of, or bullied, for having something like a disability or being different. The thing I wish to say is this: Whether it is an adult discriminating against others or children bullying others, there is a possibility that some of those people (maybe not all, of course) may be hypocrites.

What I mean to say is, many people have some sort of disability, disorder, or other health issues, which can be physical or mental. We might be talking mostly mental health issues, disabilities and disorders here, but the thing is; while I am not sure how big the percentage is on this; there is probably many people in the USA or the world itself that have mental disabilities and disorders that it harder to interact socially with others or make it hard to be a good person overall. The thing is, there are probably many people that are undocumented in terms of having disabilities or disorders because some some of them are poorly raised by bad parents, do not trust or like doctors enough to go see them and, as a sub-reason to the other reasons, not being educated enough to know they may need help. There may be other reasons too, like people thinking they are fine or perfect or whatever, but yeah, you see what I mean.

Either way, in the USA and in the world, I do think there are many people who have mental health issues that go undocumented because they do not see a doctor. Even if they do, they may not wish to take their medicine. Either way, I can say that any crimes can be committed by these kinds of people before they get help, and when they do get help, it is often too late and someone is harmed or killed.

Take for instance, a shooting that happened in a Dollar General in Jacksonville, Florida. The shooter killed mainly African Americans, and committed suicide after that. That person was mentally ill. Another case would be former president of the USA, Donald J. Trump. He has mental illness himself, but apparently continued to live his life without getting much treatment for it, if at all. They both have had health issues, and yet did not get proper help before they did something bad. (In Trump's case, it was the insurrection he started in January 6 of 2021) Donald Trump also insulted a man with disabilities once when he has mental illness, so I believe he is hypocritical in that regard.

BUT, considering that people may not have such serious mental health issues, or any at all, and are quite normal; that is no reason to pick on others for being different or even "less than normal", which is not a bad thing. At all. I would like to bring in lack of knowledge or education in this case as these people may have such a thing.

I think the lack of education and knowledge about people who are different in race, religion, disabilities/health issues and other things are acting like they are superior because they are normal. Well, they are wrong. Being normal does not mean they are superior, and they don't even know much about the different things different people like, do or have that is different from what they are used to. Chances are, they may have learned about these different things from someone ill-educated or not knowledgeable about these things, like their parents if they are children (as parents can only know so much), or it could be children, as in this case, not knowing any better. In terms of adults, they might just think they know something even though it is based on assumption. Being normal or not having things like disabilities does not make one superior. Plus, even if one is normal, saying bad things about and insulting others with disabilities just because it is thought such disabilities could make people "stupid" can be hypocritical, because they know just about nothing about the very people they discriminate against, make fun of, or insult. Plus, even if they already are smart in one area, that does not mean they know it all about anything else.

But yes, I find the lack of knowledge and maybe self-awareness to be things that can make people hypocritical about things. If one has a mental health issue/has disabilities/disorders, they are hypocritical for discriminating against those who have such issues as well. If one is ignorant about those kinds of things and yet discriminates against them, no matter how "dumb" the other people actually are, the person who does not have such mental issues are still bad for being just as "dumb". In fact, if they were smart about these kinds of things, they would be less likely to discriminate against people with issues they cannot simply change.

I realize this might not be entirely accurate, so you all can feel free to correct me on anything here.

So, with that said, what do you all think of this?
RE: A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things
People are mean to each other. Got it.

People need better access to mental health services. Understood.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things
(October 22, 2023 at 12:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: People are mean to each other. Got it.

People need better access to mental health services. Understood.

Boru

Glad you do understand, especially if you include education with mental health services.

There is a problem or two, though; resources...and money. Not only do some people not have enough money for those things, but resources, or lack of resources, make it hard to keep mental health services and education at lower prices. In fact, I would say the lack of resources make the cost of such things even higher.

Honestly, despite what I posted, I don't really see a way to change that for the better.
I am fairly certain I have a mild form of undiagnosed mental disability. Probably autism.

As for a physical disability, I have been hard-of-hearing since I was a kid. Was never made fun of or bullied for it, though.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
@ShinyCrystals

Not sure there's much of a point here, I just think people are generally dicks and don't have much if any compassion for those who cannot just get with the program like everyone else. Can't be helped, maybe humanity should check itself out of existence to spare those who are really suffering, that's what I think.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(October 22, 2023 at 12:29 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: I am fairly certain I have a mild form of undiagnosed mental disability. Probably autism.

As for a physical disability, I have been hard-of-hearing since I was a kid. Was never fun of or bullied for it, though.

Though you are not clear on what that disability, mental disability, that is, if it is autism, you are not alone. I also have a mild form of autism.

Also, while this was not always the case, while I am not deaf or hard-on-hearing, I do find it hard to hear or listen to some things sometimes.
Humans run the gamut from the noble to the vile. I'm moderately disabled by a bone disorder in my hip, leaving me to walk with an obvious limp. Most times no one mentions it at all. Occasionally acquaintances will ask why I limp. I once had a gal spend five minutes urging me to take up yoga, as if I regularly consult strangers for medical advice ... and then last year, when I objected to one of my customers calling another "f****t", he told me to shut up or he'd beat my "gimp" ass.

He especially didn't like my reply: "You got the easy part done, asshole -- the talkin' about it."

(October 22, 2023 at 12:32 pm)Ahriman Wrote: @ShinyCrystals

Not sure there's much of a point here, I just think people are generally dicks and don't have much if any compassion for those who cannot just get with the program like everyone else. Can't be helped, maybe humanity should check itself out of existence to spare those who are really suffering, that's what I think.

My point is that people tend to be hypocrites when discriminating against others, whether of mental health issues or anything else; especially if they are not aware or educated of the factors involved in others' being different from them, or if they have the same issues themselves.
Is hypocrisy a form of mental disorder or disability?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 22, 2023 at 12:50 pm)brewer Wrote: Is hypocrisy a form of mental disorder or disability?

I am not sure, though I can actually see why it would be either of them. Still, I also think it can be an independent thing from both a disorder and a disability.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One of these things is not like the other ones Angrboda 1 398 December 6, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How do you view humanity in general? Ahriman 73 4611 October 2, 2021 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  There are some things you lose track of, & regret. Brian37 11 1172 June 22, 2021 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Hillbillyatheist
  Fun phrases from other countries/cultures. Gawdzilla Sama 3 333 August 3, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions? no one 21 2872 June 11, 2020 at 7:27 am
  Other forums you belong to... arewethereyet 9 839 June 8, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other forums just aren't the same Violet 18 1409 May 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  had had and the lexical ambiguity Rhizomorph13 4 356 March 4, 2020 at 4:14 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I never had hangover. purplepurpose 15 1347 February 25, 2020 at 9:11 am
  [Serious] A thought experiment... Gawdzilla Sama 12 970 October 22, 2019 at 12:23 pm