Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 12:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
(October 13, 2015 at 11:13 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Idealism subsumes everything, because everything you know and learn about is an idea.
Composition.  If idealism subsumes everything everything I know and learn....then at the most, it subsumes what I know, what I learn.  Even granting you this tortured and meaningless usage of the term "idea", you've overreached.  What I know and learn about the universe and the universe are not the same thing, so no...it doesn't subsume everything, at least not for the reason you gave...if it subsumes anything at all.  This is poor thinking, as it was the last time, as I've already explained.  

Quote:You think your ideas represent something, but the fact is you have no direct access to anything at all, except through experiences and ideas about them.
You and I both consider them to be representative.  Meaningless criticism in general, and irrelevant -specifically- to any dispute between idealism or materialism.  More puzzling, I think..is that this would also have to apply to idealism.  If neither of us have direct access, so what?  It's a wash,......and I'm still explaining while you're busy "subsuming". 

Quote:We can confidently say, therefore, that everything that we know about reality can be understood through idea-- whatever the underlying reality is, we know that.  What you do is start listing all the ideas and experiences you have that lead you to think there's something more than that, not really getting that all along, you never WERE talking about anything more than ideas.
Regardless of how we best understand something, and assuming that your language is accurate and your proposition true...it just doesn't matter how we best understand....since our understanding of the thing (material or immaterial) is not the thing.  Again, composition.  We are talking about ideas that are referent...there's no sense in denying this now- you've been speaking to me this whole time as though I possess identity, as though the idea of me were referent.

Of course, the deeper problem here, in a discussion between idealism and materialism, is calling something "an idea" as though this made it immaterial by default.  That is, after all, precisely the thing in question.  IDK what to tell ya bud, if you want to talk about solipsism maybe you should make that thread?  If objections from solipsism are compelling to you, then you should understand why a comp fallacy won't work here.  If all you know about are your ideas, and you aren't comfortable considering those ideas to be referent, then even if -you- were made out of ideas, the universe is still made out of "x".  The only way to resolve this, the only way to avoid a comp fallacy and use this premise to reach the desired conclusion....is to propose that -you- are the universe, in toto.

The universe seems to exist, and our ideas seem to be referent, at the very least.  There seems to be an attribute we call identity, and there seem to be numerous individual manifestations of that attribute.  You seem to accept these things as well, after all, you haven;t been denying the existence of the universe (or me) as seperate from yourself.  I don't know why I'm fielding objections from a position neither of us subscribes to, a position which is counter to both idealism and materialism in equal measure for precisely the same reason.  Can you tell me why?  It's not that I don't understand the objection itself, I don't understand why you think it applies to materialism alone?  If we simply can't know these things, if all we're ever discussing are ideas, then any position which makes the claim "the universe is fundamentally comprised of -x-" is wrong by default.......... including the statement, "the universe is fundamentally comprised of ideas".  You might be, but we haven't gotten any closer to determining anything about the universe, we haven't learned anything that could serve as a metric for deciding between idealism and materialism.

If we can't know, we can't know...and I suppose we all have to make our peace with that, however, a person who makes claims as to what  cannot explain the universe (or even the mind), a person who weighs materialism and idealism and chooses one or the other...very clearly assumes that we can know these things.  They're making a statement of knowledge, after all.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Cato - September 18, 2015 at 12:16 am
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by The Grand Nudger - October 15, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1730 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3757 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1204 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7544 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 300 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12533 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  All Lives Matter Foxaèr 161 45560 July 22, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5255 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4722 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 16136 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus