Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 10:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God
RE: Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God
(May 4, 2016 at 9:59 pm)TheMuslim Wrote: You can call it whatever you want. You can call it God (with a capital G) if you feel like it (the word "God" is, after all, pretty vague in its meaning). Personally, I just call it a deity. I like to say "the DOTV proves the existence of a deity with such and such qualities (the aforementioned qualities that were traced by Ibn Sina)." You can also call it Allah. The Arabic word "Allah" predates Islam, and it literally means "the awe-inspiring" (or, according to others, "the deity"). Since I find this entity to be the only deity known, and I also find it awe-inspiring, I can call it Allah (I do, after all, speak Urdu and Arabic and such vocabulary would come naturally to me).
But unless by deity you mean a person in a sense that entails, albeit equivocally, cognition and/or intentionality, then you're being disingenuous, and particularly so if you're arguing for something which you call Allah--knowing that your definition bears only a superficial resemblance to what has been traditionally associated with the name--which gives unwarranted cover to obviously false and even patently absurd ideas about the nature of this substance and its relation to human beings. I find the term Nature to be a far more honest and accurate representation of the qualities that, you have argued, must apply to our reality, and not this wholly distinct substance implied by the idea of God.

You cannot just say, "Well, if you want to call this weather event a thunderstorm, or simply 'the wrath of the gods,' it makes no difference. I mean the latter is pretty vague anyway." No, words have meaning.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God - by Mudhammam - May 4, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 806 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 21554 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1859 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6599 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3011 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8334 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14156 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 14120 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 43124 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 33640 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0