Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 7:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality?
RE: Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality?
(May 14, 2016 at 4:32 am)robvalue Wrote: How does that work though regarding accidents?

If I accidentally run someone over, is that as bad as deliberately running them over?

If I try to shoot someone but end up hitting something which then helps them in some way, is my action moral?

This is why intent matters to me: we don't always achieve exactly what we intend.

Well, accidentally running someone over (presuming that it doesn't happen because of some conscious decision you've made, such as texting or drinking), is not the same action as assaulting someone with a deadly weapon, which is immoral regardless of the car being the weapon. When you ran the person over accidentally, you were not "in the act" of running them over, per se, you were just in the act of going to the store (or whatever). The action you were taking was not immoral. If you're at fault, then you might be responsible and have to make amends somehow, but that's not the same as being wrong.

I suppose intent does play a role in how we classify actions as either negligent or malicious, and in turn does have an impact on the morality of an action itself, so I'm probably oversimplifying by trying to rule it out entirely, but in the practical sense it really is action that matters. In a court of law, for example, establishing the "intent" would involve finding some kind of evidence that the person took actions which suggest they premeditated what they did (talking to someone about their plans, writing their plans down, purchasing the things they need for the plan months in advance, etc.). Everyone thinks their own intentions are good (generally), and it's practically impossible to know another person's intentions without looking at their outward words and actions (if that's even possible, depending on the case).

To use another example, there are people who kill/permanently damage their children because they forsake modern medicine in favor of prayer or witchcraft. Despite the fact that their intent is to heal, their actions are still grossly immoral. Still, that's not the same series of actions as laying out a set of plans, gathering supplies for the plan, and then murdering someone according to the plan. While intent separates those actions as to how they're defined, action (and to some degree perhaps words, insofar as we can trust/corroborate them) is still how we determine which act was actually committed.

Penguin, I thought your response was a little douchey, and I was going to respond anyway, but after seeing what you said to Evie (before deleting it like a coward) I've pretty well written you off as a complete dick, so I don't think I'll bother. Lighten up, dude.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality? - by Redbeard The Pink - May 15, 2016 at 12:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2214 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Science Poll! Istvan 9 1412 September 25, 2022 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Science Poll! Istvan 24 1990 March 23, 2022 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11024 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 40694 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1400 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8471 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3649 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4564 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  God does not determine right and wrong Alexmahone 134 15722 February 12, 2018 at 7:14 pm