Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love the Lord your God with all your heart ?
RE: Love the Lord your God with all your heart ?
(June 13, 2016 at 5:25 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote: [quote='Drich' pid='1300687' dateline='1465847127']

The first of the greatest commands is to Love God with all your being, the second is to love your neighbor as yourself. In these two command Jesus said the whole Law can be honored or full filled. Meaning if one can love God with all that he is and simply Love his neighbor as himself then then the basis of all of God's law can be honored.

Now I completely understand what you are saying, in that loving your fellow man is apart of loving God. The answer to that is both yes and no. No in that if by simply loving your fellow man was the same as loving God with all of your heart mind spirit and strength their would not need to be the second of the two greatest commands Jesus points out. ...And Yes loving your fellow Man is the apart of Loving God, because loving only those who love God follow His commands.. and as "loving your neighbor" represents 50% of all of God's commands one can not love God without loving his neighbor.

But again, the love of God does not stop there with loving your fellow man. The love God asks of us encompasses all of our being, this is something we do not have access to and is impossible to do with out God helping us. so then again we take what we have access to (our will/minds) and ask God to turn the rest of ourselves over to us so that we may choose to give him the Agape' asked of us.

Quote:Drich,

I think it's beneficial to seek to agree with who we may talk to as much as possible and that sometimes it's not possible to agree. I'm guessing you remember the words blessed are the peacemakers.
Appearently not, as you've blown past what I said that supports your initial assertion, and moved to classify everything I said as being 'disagreeable.' When in fact I did Agree with your point in so far as I the scripture would allow me, and I expanded where you 'correction' fell short. However you response seems to be more about attempting to mend some wounded pride, than about keeping or making peace. Because again what you rebuked me to do I included in my initial correction.

If in the future you wish to avoid a public correction then as scripture tells us go to your brother In Private and tell me how I have wronged you. If however you insist in a public rebuke, then be ready to be judged in the same measure you see fit to judge others. Wink

Quote:I think we may agree that serving people is a part of serving God and that God is the highest command giver and if people want us to obey different commands than what God wants us to obey then we should disobey any wrong commands of people. 
No we do not. Because again Even the OP understands that God's highest command is to Love Him First. Jorge' even posted scripture that shows Jesus Identifying This command to Love/Agape' God above all others, then Jesus Identifies loving our neighbor as the second greatest command. In short my 'love/respect' for you and your feelings should never exceed my love and honor for God, and in this case God's word concerning who is first to be love and respected and who is second.

To put love of your fellow man above God is not worship of God, it is the worship of Man, and that is an afront to God.

Quote:I think we may agree that if we are willing to serve God then that is a good condition to be in and that by God's goodwill we are given sayings to learn how to obey God and serve man and that respect or reverence is a part of it.
partial truth. In that what you say here is true but with the condition that our service to our fellow man should never exceed our ability or want to first serve God.

Quote:We may agree that wisdom and knowledge are partly beyond words and that all of it comes from God and that, that wisdom and knowledge becomes like a part of our being and our thinking of God goes higher.
no we can not agree here either.
Because, Wisdom and knowledge are gifts of God, or more specifically Gifts of the Holy Spirit and not all are privy to them. (as we all are not call to be an eye or a hand) For those who have not been given this spiritual gift, you are right in that true Godly wisdom and knowledge are beyond words. But, to the one who has been bless by the Holy Spirit with this gift, his only limits to access the wisdom and knowledge of God are limited only by God himself.

Quote:Thinking about love your neighbor as yourself, I guess you agree that, that commandment should be used every time we speak and in every internet forum post we make, judging which words to use and thinking of how they sound if they are said to you by someone else, keeping in mind what may be the condition of the person or persons who you plan to speak to and I think you may use the command in replying to me.  Will you tell me if you used the command ?
Indeed, As I am one who seeks Godly truth, and do not want pomp, pageantry, nor great care to coddle my ego when I am wrong. I want the truth of God's word and I want to be made to see it whatever the cost. I extend this same courtesy to those who seek clarity and or scriptural understanding.

When you approached me with a 'love God by serving man' message I took what you said embraced the truth of that message and then reframed it so it read consistently with what Christ had to say on the subject. Understand I am not here to argue doctrine or other personal religious philosophies. I represent biblical Christianity and as such, if you seek to correct what I've represented the scripture in saying you will need to bring book chapter and verse.
Otherwise know Christ in Mat 22 prioritizes our service and worship to serving God first, and then to simply extend the same measure of love to your neighbor as you yourself wish to receive. (not what they want from you but what you'd want from them.) this means the worship of God comes first (God's truth comes first) then we are to serve in the way we want to be served.

So, yes consider this me telling you I followed this command to the letter and it's intended use. As this command was not intended to be used to manipulate people who retain the truth a God, from correcting those who do not, from doing so. Look at how Paul addressed the church at Galatia, Look at the way he addressed the Corinthians. Again, He treated them how He was to be treated, and not how they wanted to be treated, nor was he manipulated into handling them with kid gloves. Paul represented God first then he served his fellow man.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? - by Drich - June 14, 2016 at 9:05 am
Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? - by KUSA - June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1406 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  God's Love Johanabrahams 724 79860 October 3, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 32590 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5861 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  If god was love Foxaèr 1 1126 September 28, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  "For the lord thy god is a jealous god among you." Socratic Meth Head 52 9259 June 8, 2016 at 10:10 am
Last Post: RozKek
  My heart is breaking... I thought Christians are suppose to love "unconditionally" kmthang 118 21518 January 6, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  JUST OPEN YOUR HEART, DAMMIT! Athene 174 33458 August 25, 2015 at 2:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 69899 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Does God love animals more than humans? Metis 34 7391 June 26, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: ignoramus