Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 5:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love the Lord your God with all your heart ?
RE: Love the Lord your God with all your heart ?
(June 12, 2016 at 4:52 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Love... perhaps the greatest mystery of all.  Is it a feeling, or is it a choice?  The greatest commandment says to love God with all your heart.  This would seem to imply that love is a choice, that we can choose to love or not love God.  Those who advocate that love is a choice talk of choosing to commit to the one you love and engage in loving acts towards the loved one, but do these same choices apply to loving a disembodied spirit?  Loving somebody with all your heart and mind and soul seems to speak to love as a feeling.  Does the heart or soul choose?  Is it possible to choose to "love God with all your heart and soul and mind"?

Love, in my view, is essentially sacrifice. It's my personal belief that love can easily be determined by the tendency or willingness of one to give up what is of benefit to themselves, for the benefit of another or others. Our love for our children is demonstrated by our willingness to give up or forgo our own dreams and aspirations at times, and even our lives if necessary. One of the more obvious ways such sacrifice is observed towards one's significant other is through fidelity (again, my opinion), as demonstrated by the willingness to forgo nailing other people, even though you absolutely want to. We give the ones we love our time, our resources, and willingly sacrifice our own desires, comforts, and needs  at times, in order to make the lives of those we care for more bearable...Blah, blah, blah, so on and so forth.

Bottom line, if one isn't willing to give up anything of significance (whether they actually end up having to or not), I would question if what what is being felt it actually love (by my own definition). At first thought, I would say that the willingness to sacrifice is most certainly a choice, but I suppose people do feel compelled to naturally love and give of themselves to certain individuals, seemingly as an act outside of their will. Parent/child relationships in particular come to mind (though not all of them).

As far as the God angle's concerned, I'm afraid I can't offer much insight. I can't love what I can't see or know to be real. God is just an abstract, imaginary, thing to me; an idea. Giving up/sacrificing anything to an idea seems quite insane to me, but loads of people do it. I suppose it's because they believe they're getting much, much more in return.

*DISCLAIMER: I should probably mention that I am by no means an expert on matters of love.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? - by Athene - June 19, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? - by KUSA - June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1406 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  God's Love Johanabrahams 724 79835 October 3, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 32539 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5861 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  If god was love Foxaèr 1 1126 September 28, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  "For the lord thy god is a jealous god among you." Socratic Meth Head 52 9258 June 8, 2016 at 10:10 am
Last Post: RozKek
  My heart is breaking... I thought Christians are suppose to love "unconditionally" kmthang 118 21517 January 6, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  JUST OPEN YOUR HEART, DAMMIT! Athene 174 33451 August 25, 2015 at 2:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 69897 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Does God love animals more than humans? Metis 34 7391 June 26, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: ignoramus