Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 22, 2024, 9:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
(September 15, 2016 at 10:21 pm)Aractus Wrote:
You are mistaken on this. Divinity of Jesus is a theological matter somewhat embedded in the gospel of John, but not at all present in the epistles of Paul, and the Synoptic gospels are at most neutral on that issue. Jesus himself specifically says he is not divine: [Mark 10:18/Matthew 19:17/Luke 18:19 Wrote:and John 5: 30. Furthermore Jesus specifically says he isn't trying to displace the Law of Moses and reaffirms the authority of the Jewish God and his Law in the strongest possible way (Matthew 5:18, Luke 16:17). pid='1392017' dateline='1473950424']
From one of the 3 Pastoral epistles:

Quote:Titus 2:13King James Version (KJV)

13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
and from Mark 14;
61 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
(September 15, 2016 at 10:40 am)Firefighter01 Wrote: No, Paul's focus is not on the historical Jesus, it's all about the spiritual Jesus of the scriptures.  If he was concerned at all about Jesus being historical he would have gone back to Jerusalem to meet with the disciples to validate his conversion apparition.  Instead he doesn't think that its important to meet up with the disciples to learn about Jesus' ministry and parables, he goes of to Africa and Damascus to teach his own version of the scriptures, which doesn't make any sense if he believed in a historical Jesus.

Quote:Aractus
No it isn't because the gospels haven't been written. And Paul did know the disciples of Jesus personally - something that the gospel writers most likely did not.
Paul never mentions Jesus being somewhere at a time or date.  It's all spiritual for him, that's why he didn't confirm what he had experienced with the disciples, his "revelation" and the scriptures were all he needed. Which is crazy if he really wanted to learn more about Jesus, why not validate everything in the apparition with the guys that actually walked with Jesus to find out if the Jesus that he saw looked like and acted like the guy that the disciples knew? More likely is that the disciples didn't exist either, so it was useless going back to Jerusalem.
(September 15, 2016 at 10:40 am)Firefighter01 Wrote: I think that the Romans would have let the Jews administer their own laws, as long as it didn't conflict with theirs. Which means that they should have stoned Jesus to death for blasphemy in the first instance if this would have been an actual account. Regarding the bias of scholars who have been indoctrinated from childhood into a belief that Jesus existed and are being paid to study in religious colleges, I think that speaks for itself on being prejudiced, don't you?

Quote:Aractus
No I don't think so, and your argument is so absurd. There are a great many Bible Colleges which are very neutral in terms of religious belief. Secondly, no one gets "paid to study" - they have to pay themselves in order to learn and study. Thirdly - what indoctrination? There are plenty of non-religious scholars, and there are plenty of scholars who's published works has shaken the Church while being vindicated by others. Are you claiming that Finkelstein is indoctrinated too?
Do you mean stoning wasn't allowed?  How about the stoning of Stephen? Scholarships are paid for and awarded aren't they? I know that there are supposedly secular colleges around, but I'm deeply suspicious of secular Bible colleges. They would hardly promote atheism IMO. It's obvious that you are still indoctrinated by your belief in the historicity of the Bible which is clearly a mess. Our whole society is indoctrinated by the stupid Bible stories and the media propagation of Christmas and Easter. I don't know enough about Finkelstein to comment

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? - by Firefighter01 - September 17, 2016 at 1:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2217 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1079 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Jesus wants passionate christians purplepurpose 3 667 April 1, 2023 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5406 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6355 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 0 504 August 31, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 254696 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why I hate Right Wing Christians bussta33 31 6346 April 16, 2016 at 5:28 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians TheMessiah 456 58142 July 1, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 9355 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue