Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs?
How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs?
I don't mean to be a "hippie" about this. But I was geniunely wondering:

I'm a Christian and I don't force my beliefs onto anyone. I used to be athiest then agnostic, and when I picked up Christianity again, I came to terms that people should be able to believe whatever they want as long as their beliefs aren't cultivating hatred towards another human being.

I also have many athiest, agnostic, and a few muslim friends. They are all awesome individuals, and we find ourselves in debates and disagreements about worldviews, but at the end of the day we just agree to disagree, and respect each other as fellow human beings.

I am also very aware of the "Christianity complex". Christians who feel the need to tell people that they are all going to hell and that they need to "turn from their sins". Yea, I get it, it annoys me too. But I have also been insulted by atheist individuals (luckily I'm pretty laid-back so I tend to shrug it off and laugh at myself if possible).

In conclusion my question is kind of a two-sided question:

Do you think it is possible for Christians and Athiest to come to terms with their differences? And if so, or if not, what do you think it would take to make something like that happen?
RE: How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs?
Who knows, depends on the individual atheist and christian in question. Not every christian holds the same opinions, not every atheist holds the same opinions. "Coming to terms" is an awfully vague statement, after all. What sort of terms? You don't stab me and I won't stab you? Can we agree to these terms..lol?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 26, 2014 at 9:44 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Who knows, depends on the individual atheist and christian in question. Not every christian holds the same opinions, not every atheist holds the same opinions. "Coming to terms" is an awfully vague statement, after all. What sort of terms? You don't stab me and I won't stab you? Can we agree to these terms..lol?

Haha good point. It really does depend on the person in question.
And I guess, the "terms and conditions" I was refering to was Christians should stop claiming that everyone is going to hell, and atheist should not write off all Christians as brain-washed, ego-crazed and/or ignorant people (although I do think certain "Christians" need to hear it, maybe it would be better understood from the mouth of a fellow christian lol).
The problem is, our respective abstract worldviews are in many ways completely at odds, and the abstract drives our concrete implementation of those ideas.

If believers agreed to stay out of politics, government and basically keep it to themselves, I doubt many atheists would have a problem with that believer.

But when your holy book demands certain actions, there are going to be problems.
Ah, well...you're unlikely to ever receive such terms from me - but there are plenty of other atheists that you could appeal to for clemency....Wink Shades

If it makes you feel better, I'm willing to overlook all but the most horrible things in people. You're not likely to find yourself standing next to Pol Pot in my assessment of the human race.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 26, 2014 at 9:50 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: The problem is, our respective abstract worldviews are in many ways completely at odds, and the abstract drives our concrete implementation of those ideas.

If believers agreed to stay out of politics, government and basically keep it to themselves, I doubt many atheists would have a problem with that believer.

But when your holy book demands certain actions, there are going to be problems.

I think I see what you mean. Do you mean if a believer weren't to stay out of politics altogether, or keep their convictions to themselves when engaging in politics?

(September 26, 2014 at 9:52 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Ah, well...you're unlikely to ever receive such terms from me - but there are plenty of other atheists that you could appeal to for clemency....Wink Shades

If it makes you feel better, I'm willing to overlook all but the most horrible things in people. You're not likely to find yourself standing next to Pol Pot in my assessment of the human race.

Haha! Fair enough Big Grin The realist in me says that something like this is very unlikely, but its fun to engage the idea.

I will say that a persons worldview, in my eyes, doesn't reflect who they are, but rather what they stand for. I'm a bit of a humanist in loose terms, and I would like to think that a person could be valued seperate from their perspective on the world.
More a matter of insidiously invading government and turning it into a theocracy of some sort.

Sorry. On my phone and can't talk gud.
(September 26, 2014 at 10:01 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: More a matter of insidiously invading government and turning it into a theocracy of some sort.

Sorry. On my phone and can't talk gud.

Gotchya. I guess that would beg the question, should goverment be an atheist structure? With all due respect of course, some would argue that atheism is a religion (a minefield discussion I'm well aware of), so would that mean that goverment should, instead of being anti-religious, be "a-religious", if you will? In layman's terms, should government not recognize any particular religous/non-religious values?
(September 26, 2014 at 9:54 pm)Hezekiah Wrote: Haha! Fair enough Big Grin The realist in me says that something like this is very unlikely, but its fun to engage the idea.

I will say that a persons worldview, in my eyes, doesn't reflect who they are, but rather what they stand for. I'm a bit of a humanist in loose terms, and I would like to think that a person could be valued seperate from their perspective on the world.

You'd like it if people gave your christianity a pass - in short? Granted. It's provisional, of course. Get too christian on me and I'm going to feed you to the pigs. Wink

Honestly though, It doesn't really seem to be much of an issue in our day to day lives, does it? If you aren't wearing a cross and babbling on about christ who's even going to know whether you were christian or not? Similar situation with myself. How would someone know that I was an atheist? Are any terms required so long as we can be decent human beings in each others presence?
(September 26, 2014 at 9:39 pm)Hezekiah Wrote: Do you think it is possible for Christians and Athiest to come to terms with their differences? And if so, or if not, what do you think it would take to make something like that happen?

No, not really, not on a large scale at least. I'm not sure how things are elsewhere but in my part of the States I see the Christian complex everywhere and I am almost weekly approached about "Do I know Jesus?". When people find out I'm an atheist, they are generally put out like I had smacked them in the face (and I'm generally nice about it too, I've calmed down a good bit in my siesta from AF).

As for what it would take, I don't have a viable answer, but I wish I did.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3804 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 1112 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1203 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15640 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7049 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Santa and Other Lies to the Kids mlmooney89 25 2651 August 27, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14344 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9685 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 278 51406 January 19, 2017 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7041 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist