Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 12:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
(September 17, 2016 at 2:25 am)Aractus Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 1:48 am)Firefighter01 Wrote: From one of the 3 Pastoral epistles: (Titus 2:13)

Quote:You and I both agree that isn't by Paul, so what's the point?
I don't believe that Paul wrote most, if not anything at all in the Bible, but for the sake of argument there is plenty of instances in there about Paul writing of the divinity of Jesus, for example Romans 8:3.  Just because you can find passages to the contrary just means that the book is a mess of contradictions as you know.
(September 17, 2016 at 1:48 am)Firefighter01 Wrote: Paul never mentions Jesus being somewhere at a time or date.  It's all spiritual for him, that's why he didn't confirm what he had experienced with the disciples, his "revelation" and the scriptures were all he needed. Which is crazy if he really wanted to learn more about Jesus, why not validate everything in the apparition with the guys that actually walked with Jesus to find out if the Jesus that he saw looked like and acted like the guy that the disciples knew? More likely is that the disciples didn't exist either, so it was useless going back to Jerusalem.

Quote:Nonsense, he wasn't writing a bibliography, he was preaching.
C'mon Aractus, what would a real person do in that situation?  Imagine that you were a travelling priest and had a vision of Jesus that was so awesome it blinded you for 3 days.  You instantly know that you have been wrong and Jesus is the real deal. You are cured after a magic incantation and know that you can go back and chat to the guys that walked with JC back in Jerusalem.  Do you go back to strengthen your knowledge so you have the very best information of the ministry of Jesus, the miracles and his followers to spread to the world and convert others, or do you ignore all that rich information and go preach the old info from the Hebrew Bible?

(September 17, 2016 at 1:48 am)Firefighter01 Wrote: Do you mean stoning wasn't allowed?  How about the stoning of Stephen? Scholarships are paid for and awarded aren't they? I know that there are supposedly secular colleges around, but I'm deeply suspicious of secular Bible colleges. They would hardly promote atheism IMO. It's obvious that you are still indoctrinated by your belief in the historicity of the Bible which is clearly a mess. Our whole society is indoctrinated by the stupid Bible stories and the media propagation of Christmas and Easter. I don't know enough about Finkelstein to comment

Quote:I'm not sure where you got this from. All I said is that the Jews had no sway over Roman law. They could perform stonings, but they couldn't take someone to the governor and say "crucify him". Jesus didn't commit a crime, at least not one recorded in the gospels anyway, that would warrant stoning though...
Blasphemy was what I was thinking of, Jesus claimed he was the son of God.  The Jews could have done that without approval from the Romans.

Quote:No Bible college would promote atheism, true, but you have plenty like St Mark's that are pretty neutral on belief. I know Christians that will refuse to listen to anyone educated in such an establishment!
St Marks Mission:
Anglican in foundation and ecumenical in ethos, St Mark’s pursues a mission which, in the words of its founder, Bishop Ernest Burgmann, is to engage the people of God with Australian society.

We believe that a mission statement describes what an organisation should be striving to practise in its own affairs and to promote in its dealings with the world. The Council of St Mark’s National Theological Centre has articulated its mission as:

Transforming lives and communities for Jesus Christ through excellence in public theology, theological education, vocational training and national and international scholarly engagement.

It sounds like they have a pre-supposition that God and Jesus exist, so yes, they have a strong belief and would be extremely biased like most.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? - by Firefighter01 - September 22, 2016 at 8:13 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2274 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1088 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Jesus wants passionate christians purplepurpose 3 668 April 1, 2023 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5436 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6389 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 0 506 August 31, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 255382 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why I hate Right Wing Christians bussta33 31 6375 April 16, 2016 at 5:28 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians TheMessiah 456 58501 July 1, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 9412 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue