Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 2:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
RE: How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
(October 10, 2016 at 5:37 pm)Lek Wrote:
(October 10, 2016 at 5:09 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Then why aren't the moral majority types up to speed on that ?

Like I said, invoking one of 600 Levitican strictures, the one  against the gay people makes me wonder why then ALL the laws of Leviticus aren't similarly active.  It's very convenient that there is this INCREDIBLE coincidence the only law in Leviticus that is still in effect 2000 years after Jesus is the one against the gays.  Is there a New Testament bible verse that spells that out ??

Invoke one, just one of those laws in Leviticus, then they all otta be in play.  The only thing the christers have is some PERSON in their organization, decided on their own, that they were duly authorized by God Almighty to pick and choose which ones are still worth enforcing to deprive other people their rights, and which ones the flock can safely ignore since oh my God, it would be SO INCONVENIENT to have to follow the rest of them ourselves!

We are no longer under any of the old testament law presented in Leviticus and I'm not invoking any of them.

Romans 7:4-6New Living Translation (NLT)

4 So, my dear brothers and sisters, this is the point: You died to the power of the law when you died with Christ. And now you are united with the one who was raised from the dead. As a result, we can produce a harvest of good deeds for God. 5 When we were controlled by our old nature,[a] sinful desires were at work within us, and the law aroused these evil desires that produced a harvest of sinful deeds, resulting in death. 6 But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit.

Would a denomination that as matter of their intrinsic dogma, which selectively invokes portions of Leviticus then be a false religion ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can a Christian reject - by Minimalist - February 14, 2014 at 8:46 pm
RE: How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? - by vorlon13 - October 10, 2016 at 5:46 pm
RE: - by Fake Messiah - October 25, 2016 at 3:23 pm
RE: How can a Christian reject... - by FallentoReason - October 26, 2016 at 12:51 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2117 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 19767 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44853 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8728 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1635 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4832 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8853 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5814 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  William Lane Craig's drunken phone call. Jehanne 3 1257 January 13, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 28091 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb