Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why are you (still) a Christian?
Why are you (still) a Christian?
I can understand the various reasons that someone may convert, but I'm curious as to why someone would retain their belief after years of being a Christian and having spent time studying the bible and theology, looking at arguments for/against, and so on.

So, for those who have been a believing adult for more than 5 years, and who are feel they're conversant on the various arguments for/against, what is it that keeps you believing?  

Any particular philosophical positions, or specific events that happened, or a particular inner feeling or intuition, etc?
RE: Why are you (still) a Christian?
(September 4, 2023 at 4:26 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: I can understand the various reasons that someone may convert, but I'm curious as to why someone would retain their belief after years of being a Christian and having spent time studying the bible and theology, looking at arguments for/against, and so on.

So, for those who have been a believing adult for more than 5 years, and who are feel they're conversant on the various arguments for/against, what is it that keeps you believing?  

Any particular philosophical positions, or specific events that happened, or a particular inner feeling or intuition, etc?

(bold mine)

I think that's your answer. Rank-and-file Christians, by and large, don't do these things.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
For most, it's fear, delusion, arrogance or a combination there of.

Most believers of any fictional diety, are either too afraid to think, or they are too dumb.
I agree. I was amazed after I became a Christian convert how few took their own faith seriously, especially in more academic terms. Plenty didn't read, indeed had never fully read, the bible, let alone invested in any serious effort/study.

But I'm curious as to those who did put in the effort and study etc and still retained their faith after years.

For me it was a slow, painful demise as my faith lost out against the cognitive dissonance one bit at a time, and I've heard similar stories from many other 'serious' ex-Christians - it's the study that ultimately leads to the loss of faith (I remember church folk warning me about the dangers of studying; I guess they were right, lol).

But not every serious Christian de-converts. And I'm curious as to why.
They are fearful that daddy might have a hissy fit. So, they are kept in line with the threat of eternal damnation.
They are not able to accept that they are going to die so they need the crutch of religion to help convince themselves that death isn't the end
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Most of the Xtians I've known were believers, not readers. They had a solution handed to them and that was the last time they ever thought about it.
(September 4, 2023 at 7:32 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Most of the Xtians I've known were believers, not readers. They had a solution handed to them and that was the last time they ever thought about it.

For a long time I was an apologetics hobbyist (apologist sounds funny) and even helped run the local RCIA (Roman Catholic Indoctrination and Assimilation).  But if you keep reading the Bible, and you're a sharp enough cookie, you can read yourself right out of belief. This happened to Bart Ehrman too.
Indeed.

But some are very scholarly and remain in the faith.
I'm hoping there may be a well-read Christian on this forum who can give me an insight.
This forum will never get a well-read godiboi fan, every single one to traipse through here is an ignorant, oblivious imbecile.

They all perform the same tired old, worn out script. They are all shady, problematic trolls.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 1995 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8274 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1451 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89337 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5595 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2790 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27871 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why i became a protestant Christian Rispri 34 6674 February 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lek
  There is still time to covert to Christianity before Christmas! Loading Please Wait 12 3233 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Still room on the org chart for this creep vorlon13 12 2817 January 29, 2016 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: vorlon13