Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 3:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop...
RE: A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop...
(November 1, 2016 at 3:30 pm)Mudhammam Wrote:
(November 1, 2016 at 12:21 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I got married 6 years ago.

Four of my husband's groomsmen were old friends he's had since childhood - one is atheist, one is apathetic, one is Muslim, and one is a protestant pastor. I guess all we were missing was the Jew.

Anyway, those 4 guys are all in the same circle of super close friends we have. Never any problem involving our diverse religious views.
Insofar as a Christian or a Muslim shows tolerance and affection for those outside of the faith, though, they're not really expressing the sentiments that the gods of those respective faiths possess towards dissidents, but rather demonstrating that their ideals as decent human beings transcend the dogmas to which they, at the very least, pay lip service.

I can only speak for my own religion, but my tolerance and affection towards those outside of my faith is perfectly in line with the dogmatic teachings of my religion. Not contrary to them:

Quote:1931 Respect for the human person proceeds by way of respect for the principle that "everyone should look upon his neighbor (without any exception) as 'another self,' above all bearing in mind his life and the means necessary for living it with dignity."37 No legislation could by itself do away with the fears, prejudices, and attitudes of pride and selfishness which obstruct the establishment of truly fraternal societies. Such behavior will cease only through the charity that finds in every man a "neighbor," a brother.
1932 The duty of making oneself a neighbor to others and actively serving them becomes even more urgent when it involves the disadvantaged, in whatever area this may be. "As you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me."38
1933 This same duty extends to those who think or act differently from us. The teaching of Christ goes so far as to require the forgiveness of offenses. He extends the commandment of love, which is that of the New Law, to all enemies.39 Liberation in the spirit of the Gospel is incompatible with hatred of one's enemy as a person, but not with hatred of the evil that he does as an enemy.

1936 On coming into the world, man is not equipped with everything he needs for developing his bodily and spiritual life. He needs others. Differences appear tied to age, physical abilities, intellectual or moral aptitudes, the benefits derived from social commerce, and the distribution of wealth.41 The "talents" are not distributed equally.42
1937 These differences belong to God's plan, who wills that each receive what he needs from others, and that those endowed with particular "talents" share the benefits with those who need them. These differences encourage and often oblige persons to practice generosity, kindness, and sharing of goods; they foster the mutual enrichment of cultures:

1939 The principle of solidarity, also articulated in terms of "friendship" or "social charity," is a direct demand of human and Christian brotherhood.45

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/ar...s1c2a3.htm
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop... - by Catholic_Lady - November 1, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2922 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1523 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 5145 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Christian Post rejoices that atheist Lawrence Krauss is guilty of sexual misconduct Alexmahone 11 2241 August 12, 2018 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Awesome ex-muslim testimonies. purplepurpose 5 1389 August 2, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4835 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 12359 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Just met a former Muslim on Facebook Brian37 6 2740 May 3, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27979 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1406 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene