Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To theists- A logical insight into Atheism
To theists- A logical insight into Atheism
I'd like theists to read this. Just to "get" why we are the way we are.
I won't post an opinion, nothing derogatory. Just the facts.
If anyone disagrees, tell us why.

[EDITED] As skeptics, (of which atheism is a subset) Thanks guys...my bad.

Firstly, this is an extrapolation from another post which had me thinking.
For the sake of this post, we won't even bring any negativity, either real or perceived, which has come about from belief in "any" God.

As atheists we consider the following:

Antivaxxers
Flatearthers
Mormons
Scientologists
Palm reading
Astrology
Divine miracles (as described in the holy books)
Supernatural (as described in the holy books)

all as equals. They share exactly the same lowest common denominator. Namely 0% proof.
Obviously, if we aren't going to use the word proof in the scientific sense, then why even bother discussing the validity of anything :dunno

Theists, please understand that as people who are guided by "facts" (and so are all of you with every other aspect of your lives),
We atheists really cannot differentiate between all the woo above. (from a scientific and logical perspective) We don't treat the core proponents of religion any different.
My question is should we?
Or more importantly, could we?
Without making compromises to our thought processes? As we all know, we can't control what we believe.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: To theists- A logical insight into Atheism
"As atheists we consider the following:"

I don't entirely agree with this. Being an atheist doesn't make a person immune to believing ridiculous nonsense, if you had said...
"As rational thinkers we consider the following..." Then you would have nailed it.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
You can be an atheist as well as an anti vaccer or flat earther or palm reader or astrologer
Because while all of these are completely irrational none of them require any belief in God
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
Very true ... I'm so used to relating woo to religion because of my time here, I forget that religion doesn't have a patent on ALL woo! Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
First responses are true, The gf is an atheist yet believes in an afterlife and astrology.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
Who exactly did she think was going to grant her an afterlife? Thinking
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
"When the Emperor sacrificed his body to stop Horus from conquering the Imperium and was interred in the Golden Throne so that he could keep shielding Terra and his servants with his mind's power alone, more and more people became convinced that, if he hadn't been a god before, now he truly had ascended to divinity, and the groups formed around Lorgar's Lectio Divinitatus (ironic, huh?) gained influence over society and then outright power. The recognition of the Ecclesiarch as a High Lord of Terra was just the acceptation of the de facto situation, and it also served to give a common bond for the distraught and disparate worlds of the Imperium after the Horus Heresy."

"Question: What has the Emperor ever done for me?
Answer: What have you ever done for the Emperor?"

"There is only the Emperor,
and he is our Shield and Protector."

"How can a man be happy if he cannot serve his lord with his whole heart?"
<waits for the theists to start talking about category errors to argue that their brand of unsupported and implausible woo is different from other people's unsupported and implausible woo>
(May 8, 2018 at 4:46 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: First responses are true, The gf is an atheist yet believes in an afterlife and astrology.

As long as she is hot and puts out I see no obvious contradiction in your holding on to both atheism and your wooey gf.

(May 8, 2018 at 4:47 am)ignoramus Wrote: Who exactly did she think was going to grant her an afterlife? Thinking

The universe is ... abundant.  It's all one, man.  You can't stop it.  Be one with the abundance (AKA gf).
Mark, what if she trolls him and controls him with pussy for Jesus? Is psychological warfare even allowed by the Haig?

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1461 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 2452 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Is God a logical contradiction? Tom Fearnley 561 39913 February 28, 2020 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3968 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4627 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  How important is it to you to convert theists to atheism? Whateverist 50 4884 November 21, 2016 at 1:23 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop... Mudhammam 57 12171 November 3, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4474 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Trick Yourself Into Believing In God LivingNumbers6.626 10 2487 July 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger